[news.admin] Portal does it again

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (09/24/88)

In article <9319@cup.portal.com>, Vaprak@cup.portal.com writes:
> table
>  !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
> @ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
> begin 644 E:\IBMCOMM\PRODOC.ARC
>
> [about 200K of uuencode babble]

I haven't felt the need to contribute to the Portal discussion until now,
and I though the form letter idea was pretty bush league. I would not come
down on Portal because of the content of its users' messages. Garbage
postings can (and do) come from anywhere.

But this latest stunt is obscene. What has the net paid to toss around
this 200K posting to a well-propogated group like comp.sys.ibm.pc?

What makes it worse is that the posting was a uuencoded binary, posted
to a group that does not usually have binaries. (Yes, it's a document,
but in  binary form - and few Usenet sites use software that unpacks
ARC files). Not only that, but most people who have Procomm already have
this doc file on disk, so the appeal of this posting must be VERY limited.

If 'CS' on Portal is too blind to notice a 200K posting, then I must side
with the Portal-bashers that its management doesn't give a damn about Usenet.
New policies or not.

Please followup to news.admin only.
--
 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.UUCP (PENDING: evan@telly.on.ca) / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (09/27/88)

After receiving flames, the poster of the PRODOC.UUE posting
apologized for making a mistake, as any other user would.  He was
trying to be helpful, and erred.  I do not feel that he deserves any
more punishment than a user from another site would get.  It is
obvious that he wasn't trying to go against netiquette as much as
others from portal.
I'd say take it easy, and let it pass.

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604; CN 5063       that you do not miss what is right under your nose."