From: spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford)
Newsgroups: news.admin
Subject: Checkgroups message (with INET groups)
Date: 12 Sep 88 02:20:15 GMT
Expires: 11 Dec 88 02:20:13 GMT

  Then on the 20th of Sep. we received a checkgroups control message with
the following header:
From: wgh@Grumpy.UUCP (William G. Hutchison)
Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl,control
Subject: checkgroups
Date: 20 Sep 88 16:00:42 GMT
Control: checkgroups

	Many newsgroups listed as valid in message #1 were missing in
message #2.
	1. Which of these is the valid list of legit. newsgroups?
	2. Should I not be automatically running the checkgroups control
		message upon arrival at my site?

	Any information gratefully accepted.

			--
INTERNET:	abrams@bnlux0.bnl.gov
BITNET:		abrams@bnlux0.BITNET

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/25/88)

the checkgroups from "grumpy" was likely a simple mistate of
not editing the Distribution line.  Easy enough to do when
you're bringing up a new site.

You should not be running checkgroups control messages automatically.
Have them be sent to you as mail and deal with them by hand.
They're of the most use in regional and alternative distributions,
since the backbone isn't issuing them anymore (just posting them
to news.admin).

yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (09/25/88)

I seem to have installed news in the interval between the positing of
the non-INET and INET checkgroups message.  Can someone give me a copy
of the INET groups version or tell me where it might be retrieved?

The groups seem to recreate themselves on receipt of new articles without
a creation control message of inews -C command -- is this normal behavior?
I thought even with NONEWGROUPS disabled the group had to be marked active
in order for news (2.11) to make a spooling directory and place articles
in it.

Eleazor bar Shimon, once and future Carolingian
yba@sabre.bellcore.com

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (09/28/88)

In article <622@bnlux0.bnl.gov> abrams@bnlux0.UUCP (The Ancient Programmer) writes:
>   ....various comments...
>	1. Which of these is the valid list of legit. newsgroups?

Probably the first one.

>	2. Should I not be automatically running the checkgroups control
>		message upon arrival at my site?

You should not be automatically running checkgroups messages.  I haven't
been issuing the actual checkgroups control message for some time now,
so any actual "checkgroups" message is either a mistake or one
intended for an alternate hierarchy.

The checkgroups messages I post are in a regular submission rather than
as the actual control message, and it has to be edited to be run for
your local sites.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,