[news.admin] NetNews 2.11.B Docs

root@raider.UUCP (Bob Reineri) (10/11/88)

I am having some problems getting nroff to format the manual pages correctly. I
am running Xenix SysVR2.2. Have used every macro package I have and still no
luck. Am I doing something terribly ignorant ?

The text all comes out in one blob, no page breaks, justified to both sides.

A Blatant Neophyte......

--
     ______
    /     / RaiderNet Public Access - Node 2 (Xenix)        (615) 896-8716

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (10/14/88)

In article <13@raider.UUCP>, root@raider.UUCP (Bob Reineri) writes:
> I am having some problems getting nroff to format the manual pages correctly. I
> am running Xenix SysVR2.2. Have used every macro package I have and still no
> luck. Am I doing something terribly ignorant ?
>
> The text all comes out in one blob, no page breaks, justified to both sides.

Bob,

Don't you mean the *.mn files (ie, howto.mn, install.mn, etc.) instead of
the regular *.1 files?  I could format the *.1 files fine using:

nroff -man file.1

but when I tried (and on three DIFFERENT UNIX's) to format the files
that uses the 'mn' macros, I got blobbed up pages.  I used:

nroff -mmn howto.mn
   and even
nroff -mn howto.mn

and nothing worked.  Is there anyone out there that ever got those *.mn
files to format properly?  If so, could someone please format them into
a file (nroff bla bla bla > howto.fmtd, etc.) and mail them to me.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/14/88)

To format the "*.1" manpages, do something like this:
	nroff -man dox.1 | col >dox.fmt
To format the "*.mn" manpages, do something like this;
	nroff tmac.n dox.mn | col >dox.fmt
The file "tmac.n" is the news macro package, and is part of the 2.11
distribution; it's documented in mn.7 (which uses the -man macros).

If you do something like this
	cp tmac.n /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.n
then you'll be able to do this
	nroff -mn dox.mn | col >dox.fmt
The actual path for /usr/lib/tmac may be different on your machine; be
like Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and run and find out.

/rich$alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/15/88)

There is a Makefile in the directory with the documents. Try
using it.