[news.admin] Purposes of group

krone@presto.ig.com (Larry Krone) (10/12/88)

I just got into a discussion with Eliot Lear about his proposed
"moderation" (censorship???) of this group.  Am I in the minority???

What do the readers of this group think the purposes of this
group should be, and would a moderator help matters???

There seems to be a sizable minority of people on USENET that would
like to make the net one big, boring, technical journal (no soc
groups, talk groups...)..I feel that censorship of anything is the
first step to bringing this about....

Okay, what do you think out there (or, am I my usual minority of one) ???

Larry Krone

krone@presto.ig.com (Larry Krone) (10/12/88)

Nothing like getting flamed within 5 minutes after article posting..

I AM SORRY, Eliot --- I did not mean to imply that you are of the
group that would like to turn USENET into a technical journal..

But, I still feel that there is no such thing as "lite censorship",
I feel it is kind of like pregnancy, it either is there or it isn't.

Larry Krone

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (10/12/88)

In article <6799@ig.ig.com> krone@PRESTO.IG.COM.UUCP (Larry Krone) writes:

>But, I still feel that there is no such thing as "lite censorship",
>I feel it is kind of like pregnancy, it either is there or it isn't.
>
>Larry Krone

I don't agree with the implication (eg censorship), although i agree with
the statement.

From news.groups:

	"news.admin	comments directed to news administrators."

In my opinion, news.admin is simply that: news for administrators.  I read
this group to keep up with pertinent information.  I do not read this
group to find out who hates who on the net, to find out how much dirty
laundry one net.person can dig up on another, to see flames.weemba (or
chucky), or to see 30 followups to all of the above.

I feel that a moderator will reduce the volume of extraneous postings
unrelated to news.admin.  If nothing else, a moderator could curb the
number of completely irrelevant followups that seem to flow from every
poison pen.

I do not view the role of the moderator as that of a censor.  I would hope
that the moderators only job is to screen messages for relevance to the
newsgroup.

As to what is relevant to the newsgroup, I would not hazzard to give a
cannonical list.  I do, however, believe that informing us that individual
X is a fat slob with no job and a feeble Unix-PC is in NO WAY relevant to
keeping me informed about how to be a better news administrator.

Of course, these are only my opinions...

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

In article <17475@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>I do not view the role of the moderator as that of a censor.  I would hope
>that the moderators only job is to screen messages for relevance to the
>newsgroup.

I guess I must be an unabashed liberal.  Last time I checked, "screening"
messages is the same as "censoring" them...ask the South African Press
about that, the S.A. gov't thinks that any reports on military actions
there are not "relevant" and should not be reported...  Anyway, since I
do not want to flood this group with this kind of discussion, please feel
free to respond to me via net-mail and I will reply the same way...

Larry Krone

jim@fsc2086.UUCP (Jim O'Connor) (10/12/88)

In article <6798@ig.ig.com>, krone@presto.ig.com (Larry Krone) writes:
> I just got into a discussion with Eliot Lear about his proposed
> "moderation" (censorship???) of this group.  Am I in the minority???
>
> What do the readers of this group think the purposes of this
> group should be, and would a moderator help matters???
>
> Okay, what do you think out there (or, am I my usual minority of one) ???

IMHO, news.admin should be for the posting of instuctions, tips, hints,
warnings, etc. on the ADMINISTRATION OF THE NEWS SYSTEM.  For example, things
like optimization of batching schemes for different physical connections,
ways to pass news using the existing software (discussion about changes/new
software has its own group), ways to control bugs/problems in current setups,
etc.

A recent example of this is the Microsoft flood.  News admins needed to know
about this, and needed to know how to stop/fix it.  If most news admins were
skipping this group becasue of perceived garbage in it, the flood may have gone
on uncontrolled (but probably not).

This situation, however, also raises an issue about moderation.  If this group
is moderated, would the warnings and fix advice, in a situation like this,
get out onto the net fast enough to be of real help.  It looks like there is
a trade-off here.  Do we strive for quality and a commitment to specific
subject matter at the expense of the speed of dissemination of info, or do we
leave it open and deal with the extraneous stuff another way?

Personally, I prefer quality and specific subject matter.  If info really has to
get somewhere fast, there is still e-mail and the telephone.
-------
James B. O'Connor		+1 615 821 4090 x651
Filtration Sciences Corp.      UUCP:  uunet!fsc2086!jim
105 West 45th Street           or      jim@fsc2086.UUCP
Chattanooga, TN 37411

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/12/88)

In article <6798@ig.ig.com> krone@PRESTO.IG.COM.UUCP (Larry Krone) writes:
> There seems to be a sizable minority of people on USENET that would like
> to make the net one big, boring, technical journal (no soc groups, talk
> groups...)..I feel that censorship of anything is the first step to
> bringing this about....

	Technical, yes.  Boring, I hope not.  Around here, we've got computer
resources which were bought to help us do real work, not as entertainment
devices.  The vast majority of our funding comes from NIH and NSF, which
means your tax dollars paid for it.  Which would you rather have us do with
your tax dollars, spend them on boring technical stuff like figuring out how
to make Suns deal properly with nameservers and how to make the GenBank
database more useful (being at IG, you should appreciate that example) or
spend them on arguing about the ethics of abortion, discussing the relative
merits of one TV show over another, and passing around 500 old light bulb
jokes?  Granted, I could chop out a lot of the drivel by just not getting the
soc and rec groups (we already don't get alt and talk), but sometimes I think
that the quality of comp.unix.wizards isn't much better, and certainly most
of news.* is turning into a sewer.

	I don't understand why people keep trying to equate moderation with
censorship, with all its evil connotations.  Practically everything I read,
from PNAS to SciAm, to the New York Times Letters To The Editor page is
filtered in one way or another.  Even things like Omni (which I don't read)
have somebody at the helm deciding what is worth printing and what isn't.
The key is to find a publication whose editorial policy matches your own, not
to find a publication which has no editorial policy at all.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Patricia Roberts) (10/13/88)

I was under the impression that people thought this group should be
moderated because the group can serve two functions:  to provide an
open forum (that is, one which net.plebes like myself can read) in
which administrators can talk among one another; to provide a way in
which net.plebes can communicate with administrators.

Neither of those can happen if administrators don't read the group.
And they won't read the group if it is filled with threats and counter-
threats, whining, and name-calling.  But a group lacking those things
is not necessarily purely technical.  For example, some of the Portal
discussion was not inappropriate here--in theory, if not in practice
and in content, if not in tone.  A moderator would try to keep the
practice a little closer to the theory and the tone a little more
appropriate.

-Trish 					"...a lifetime is too narrow
skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu		too understand it all..."
	  						--A. Rich

RWC102@PSUVM (R. W. F. Clark) (10/13/88)

In article <3536@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) says:

>. . .Which would you rather have us do with
>your tax dollars, spend them on boring technical stuff like figuring out how
>to make Suns deal properly with nameservers and how to make the GenBank
>database more useful (being at IG, you should appreciate that example) or
>spend them on arguing about the ethics of abortion, discussing the relative
>merits of one TV show over another, and passing around 500 old light bulb
>jokes?

First, that's an unfair categorization of the purpose of the rec.
and talk. groups.  rec.arts.books, for example, hardly falls into
this category.  It would be unfair were I to categorize the comp.
groups as useless based upon the crap in comp.unix.wizards, while
ignoring the RISK Forum and the interesting comp.theory.* sub-sub-
hierarchy.

Second, in answer to your question, I'd rather do both.

----
rwc102@psuvm.BITNET                                 Robert Wayne Clark

krone@presto.ig.com (Larry Krone) (10/13/88)

In article <3536@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	Technical, yes.  Boring, I hope not.  Around here, we've got computer
>resources which were bought to help us do real work, not as entertainment
>devices.  The vast majority of our funding comes from NIH and NSF, which
>means your tax dollars paid for it.  Which would you rather have us do with
>your tax dollars, spend them on boring technical stuff like figuring out how
>to make Suns deal properly with nameservers and how to make the GenBank
>database more useful (being at IG, you should appreciate that example) or
>spend them on arguing about the ethics of abortion, discussing the relative
>merits of one TV show over another, and passing around 500 old light bulb
>jokes?  Granted, I could chop out a lot of the drivel by just not getting the
>soc and rec groups (we already don't get alt and talk), but sometimes I think
>that the quality of comp.unix.wizards isn't much better, and certainly most
>of news.* is turning into a sewer.

I am not going to respond to another message through the group (I
will respond via Email) as I think the purpose of news.admin should have
been to introduce this discussion, not continue it...However, since I
have already started this, Personally I think that a tax dollar spent
on furthering computer communincation is a tax dollar not spent on:

1) War
2) Pork Barrel politics
3) Political Campaigns

and is much better spent on UseNet....PLEASE if Y'all want to discuss
this do it through EMAIL (I'd hate to have this turn into net.news.politics),
As my argument against censorship falls down to its knees if people don't
treat groups with respect...

Larry

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (10/13/88)

This is why having an arrangement in the software so that only
news administrators could post to news.admin would be beneficial.

It is pretty high on my wish list for the next generation of news
software.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (10/13/88)

In article <6802@ig.ig.com> krone@PRESTO.IG.COM.UUCP (Larry Krone) writes:
>In article <17475@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>>I do not view the role of the moderator as that of a censor.  I would hope
>>that the moderators only job is to screen messages for relevance to the
>>newsgroup.
>I guess I must be an unabashed liberal.  Last time I checked, "screening"
>messages is the same as "censoring" them...ask the South African Press
>about that, the S.A. gov't thinks that any reports on military actions
>there are not "relevant" and should not be reported...

Ah, but a moderator would not decide that something should not be said, but
only that it should not be said IN THIS PLACE, i.e. news.admin. He would
(or should) not delete unsuitable communications, but simply redirect them
to the appropriate place.

That's not censorship, but simply reminding people of the polite manners
they should have acquired before leaving their parents' home :-).

And not carrying certain newsgroups is not censorship either, but just simply
chosing not to listen to certain people's free speech on certain topics.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/13/88)

In article <10639@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>This is why having an arrangement in the software so that only
>news administrators could post to news.admin would be beneficial.
>
>It is pretty high on my wish list for the next generation of news
>software.

As has been repeatedly stated, this already exists.

The FASCIST option can be used to keep individuals out of any group
you would want to.  doing

#define	FASCIST "all,!news.admin"

should suffice.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (10/14/88)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) said:

		[some editing has occured in this posting]

-Granted, I could chop out a lot of the drivel by just not getting the
-soc and rec groups (we already don't get alt and talk), but sometimes I think
-that the quality of comp.unix.wizards isn't much better, and certainly most
-of news.* is turning into a sewer.
-

Actually, much of the reason behind news.* turning into a "sewer" (a view
I don't agree with) are people not properly using features of rn, and new
users not understanding the purpose of the specific news.* groups.  (There
are, of course, a few exceptions.)  For instance, while moderation of
news.admin is appopriate to this group, discussion of the reasons for
moderation in general (like this article) is more appropriate to news.misc
(at least I think so).

-	I don't understand why people keep trying to equate moderation with
-censorship, with all its evil connotations.
		[ Note.  Some editing occurred. ]
-Even things like Omni (which I don't read)
-have somebody at the helm deciding what is worth printing and what isn't.
-The key is to find a publication whose editorial policy matches your own, not
-to find a publication which has no editorial policy at all.

But no editorial policy IS an editorial policy.  And I like the no editorial
policy for news.admin.  Remember...a moderated newsgroup is only as good
as it's moderator.  Peter Neumann does a fantastic job with comp.risks.
Brad Templeton doesn't do nearly as good a job with rec.humor.funny but
it's still mostly readable.

And until someone can prove to me that they're flexible enough to introduce
new topics to news.admin, and have enough time to wade through the volume
of mail of stuff for submission (and not just say "I guess I'll do it")
then I'd rather maintain the status quo.

--
David Bedno (aka The Cat in the Hat) Now appearing at: davidbe@sco.COM -OR-
...!{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!davidbe -OR-

	      The future is a long fly ball, curving foul.

skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Patricia Roberts) (10/15/88)

In article <10639@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>This is why having an arrangement in the software so that only
>news administrators could post to news.admin would be beneficial.

In my profession, we say this sentences suffers from a pronoun
reference problem.  I assume the "this" refers to stupid or inflam-
matory postings?  Or something along those lines?

If so, Len Rose is assuming that news administrators never make
those kinds of postings and that net.plebes always do.  That's a
highly problematic assumption.

One kind of article which is guaranteed to provoke a flame war is
the X's-account-should-be-pulled or let's-send-nasty-mail-here
article.  Someone who is the subject of that kind of article _must_
be given the right to reply--whether it be jj@portal or Gene Spafford.
Some of those kinds of accusations are fair and some are completely
unfounded.  And some of the unfounded accusations have come from
system administrators.

(Am I the only one who senses an analogy to the soc.women.only
debate?)

liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Liz Allen-Mitchell) (10/16/88)

In article <5598@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> skyler@ecsvax.UUCP (Patricia Roberts)
writes:
>One kind of article which is guaranteed to provoke a flame war is
>the X's-account-should-be-pulled or let's-send-nasty-mail-here
>article.  Someone who is the subject of that kind of article _must_
>be given the right to reply--whether it be jj@portal or Gene Spafford.
>
>-Trish

Maybe we should change to the software to allow news.admin to be semi-
moderated.  That is, the new admins could post to it directly but other
users would post to it via a moderator.  This would allow information
to get out quickly about such things as the recent flood of duplicates
from microsoft while still allowing non-admins to post.

Meanwhile, I think we'd better go with moderating all of it.  Perhaps
more than one person could volunteer to lighten the load and, hopefully,
help get important articles out more quickly.  It could help set the
tone for the group later on if we decided to change over to a partially
moderated scheme.

We definitely need to do something!!!
--
		- Liz Allen-Mitchell	liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us