[news.admin] Moderating news.admin

jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) (10/21/88)

In article <2089@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Liz Allen-Mitchell) writes:
> In article <5598@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> skyler@ecsvax.UUCP (Patricia Roberts)
> writes:
>>One kind of article which is guaranteed to provoke a flame war is
>>the X's-account-should-be-pulled or let's-send-nasty-mail-here
>>article.  Someone who is the subject of that kind of article _must_
>>be given the right to reply--whether it be jj@portal or Gene Spafford.
>>
>>-Trish
>
> Maybe we should change to the software to allow news.admin to be semi-
> moderated.  That is, the new admins could post to it directly but other
> users would post to it via a moderator.  This would allow information
> to get out quickly about such things as the recent flood of duplicates
> from microsoft while still allowing non-admins to post.

        An interesting idea, which I think can be done without software mods.
What if you tell your NEWS software that the newsgroup news.admin is moderated
by the local news administrator?  Then each site would be self-moderating.  Of
course the next chekgroups message which came along would cause a few upsets;
the backbone sites which generate them (or wherever they come from) might
suddenly find themselves moderators of news.admin, unless each news site
administrator checks the checkgroups message before it gets actioned, which
you're meant to do anyway.  I'm running Geoff Huston's VMS NEWS V5.4 and I think
I'll try it to see what happens (mind you, no one but me does much posting
around here).

> Meanwhile, I think we'd better go with moderating all of it.  Perhaps
> more than one person could volunteer to lighten the load and, hopefully,
> help get important articles out more quickly.  It could help set the
> tone for the group later on if we decided to change over to a partially
> moderated scheme.

        The debate rages on ....

--
        Jeremy Begg

  | Management Information Systems,  |  E-Mail:  jeremy@misadel.oz    |
  | 125 Dew Street, Thebarton,       |   Phone:  +61 8 3524877 (work) |
  | South Australia 5031             |                                |