[news.admin] Looking for group-creation champion among news.admins

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (10/23/88)

At the risk of not being heard (I gather that many news.admins have their
Portal earplugs in; another story), and at the risk of drawing the wrath
of Unix types against a (dare I say) rival, namely OS/2 (I realize that
they are hardly comparable and cannot, therefore, be rivals in reality,
ignoring the marketplace), I nevertheless make a public plea for a champion
to come forward and help me create a new group, comp.os.os2.  I am most
definitely not an experienced news.admin, not, in fact, being responsible
for news administration at any site, whatsoever.  I am merely an interested
news reader (and, I might point out, one of the largely-silent majority of
normal Portal users who are disturbed by the Portal earplugs that slammed
shut when certain individuals behaved, shall we say, idiosyncratically).

I am, due to circumstances beyond my control*, about to embark on a development
program using OS/2, and I could sure use some moral and technical support
from the net.  I have identified a handful of other networlders who are
interested in OS/2, and who voice their support of the creation of a group
to contain our ugly mess :-).  However, I have not the experience in such
matters to assure myself or others that I would undertake its creation in
what the news.admins would consider due and proper.  Will not one of you
take up my cause, even if only to see it done properly and well over?

Please reply to jxh@cup.portal.com, or ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh,
in spite of other Portal users over whom I have no control, alas!

Yr. most humble and obedient supplicant,

Jim Hickstein.

(only half :-)

* Sun Microsystems' shipping schedule put their machines out of our
reach, both financially and temporally.  I *wanted* to use Unix, really
I did...

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/25/88)

In article <10385@cup.portal.com> jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) writes:
>                           I nevertheless make a public plea for a champion
>to come forward and help me create a new group, comp.os.os2.

Perhaps if OS/2 is every really released for sale, or a *REAL* date is
set, *THEN* maybe.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman:

pengo@tmpmbx.UUCP (Hans H. Huebner) (10/26/88)

In article <8237@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <10385@cup.portal.com> jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) writes:
>>                           I nevertheless make a public plea for a champion
>>to come forward and help me create a new group, comp.os.os2.
>Perhaps if OS/2 is every really released for sale, or a *REAL* date is
>set, *THEN* maybe.
I disagree. None of the poor programmers (like JH) are responsible for
IBM's bad marketing. I don't like OS/2 either, at least if I judge after
having heard some rumours, but IBM has released some test versions of OS/2,
and I think it would be unwise (arrogant) to ignore this development.
Come on guys, Unix is fine, but not great. The net should not be so narrow
minded !

	Just my two pennies,
					Hans

--
Hans H. Huebner, netmbx     | PSIMail: PSI%026245300043100::PENGO
Woerther Str. 36            | DOMAIN:  pengo@tmpmbx.UUCP

erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) (10/27/88)

In article <8237@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:

> Perhaps if OS/2 is every really released for sale, or a *REAL* date is
> set, *THEN* maybe.

That's funny...  I just walked into my neighborhood computer
store and bought OS/2...  Not released?...

Erik Murrey
MPX Data Systems, Inc.
erik@mpx1.UUCP
...!{bpa,spl1,cbmvax}!mpx1!erik