[news.admin] Really OS/2

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (10/26/88)

In article <8237@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US writes:

> Perhaps if OS/2 is every really released for sale, or a *REAL* date is
> set, *THEN* maybe.
> --
> John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
> VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman:
> InterNet: jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US       |          "Just say `Gno'"
> UucpNet : <backbone>!killer!rpp386!jfh  +--------------------------------------

Well, as a matter of fact, I bought IBM OS/2 1.0EE off the shelf at
Businessland for my PS/2-80.  True, it is missing major components that I
need, but I also bought the MS OS/2 SDK (granted, $3K is steep, but I'm a
developer), which comes with Presentation Mgr, etc.

BTW, IBM OS/2 1.0EE has, for the EE part, their Database Query Manager and
their (of course) Communications Manager, which can do so many things to
and at VM hosts and the rest, that it took me an hour to fail to configure it
simply to emulate a VT100.  Well, at least IBM never changes :-).

Anyway, a group need not wait upon the actual release of MS OS/2 1.1EE,
precisely so that people in news.admin don't have to listen to this sort
of talk.  (Sorry, people.)

I want a place to rattle on about what's *missing*, then!  Gracious, there's
plenty that needs writing and passing among the hardy foo.. um.. pioneers!

-Jim Hickstein
jxh@cup.portal.com
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (10/28/88)

We already have newsgroups for os9 and next.  I don't see why there
shouldn't be an os/2 group, if there's interest in it.  Why don't you
propose it to news.groups, per the creation protocol?

	Mark