[news.admin] Shell script news software

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/26/88)

Someone called from Edmunton recently looking for B news to run on an
Altos 586.

The Altos is too small to run real B news, due to a 128K per process
memory limitation.  I was wondering if anyone has a collection of shell
scripts which will implement B news for a leaf node.

All that is needed is the ability to unbatch news, in some form or
another, and to send single articles to another site for posting or
whatever.  And of course some shell scripts to do news expires and
the like.

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman:

In article <8261@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>The Altos is too small to run real B news, due to a 128K per process
>memory limitation...

Curious, we never had any major problems with size (performance was
another story...) back in our B-news days on our pdp11, with the same
limitation.  Admittedly, we never ran 2.11.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

peter@ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) (10/31/88)

From article <8261@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, by jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum):
> Someone called from Edmunton recently looking for B news to run on an
> Altos 586. ... too small to run real B news, due to a 128K per process
> memory limitation.  I was wondering if anyone has a collection of shell
> scripts which will implement B news for a leaf node.

I do, but it's in a state of flux, and some of it is rather ugly.  If one or
two people are really desperate and promise not to show the code to strangers
('cause I'd be embarrassed), and perhaps even agree to improve things, I'll
be glad to help.  I'm not ashamed of the expire; it's fast, small (<50 lines),
and very versatile.  Ontmoh keeps articles between 1 and 200 days, and
there is a newskeep command to tell users how long each newsgroup is kept and
a sortnewsrc command that re-arranges your subscription list to show volatile
newsgroups first.

The unbatcher is ok too, although it doesn't quite handle multiple downstream
sites and feeds properly yet.  It needs the new awk (to close files).  The
older one used csplit, so it's limited to 99 articles/batch, and it's slower.
The newsreader is ok, but it's most suitable for (restricted) BBS users and
novice users, and only allows posting to local newsgroups.  (vn is nicer.)
The 16 bit (un)compress takes 450K, so that's out for "someone from Edmonton".

Again, this stuff is not in any shape to distribute to strangers.  And if I had
the time to clean and package it, I'd probably bring up Cnews instead. :-)

--
Peter Renzland @ Ontario Ministry of Health  416/964-9141  peter@ontmoh.UUCP