[news.admin] Death of Mailing List

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (11/01/88)

Now that the news guru's mailing list is dead, what direction do things
go in now? Do we all just do whatever we feel like? It looks like that
will happen unless some direction is given to the community of sites.

Some people complained that procedures were not followed when certain recent
groups were created but it is nothing compared to what *could* happen, and
maybe soon. Can you say comp.flame perhaps?

I sort of liked Dave Mack's Charter.. It wasn't perfect but
certainly would have helped things out. What I would really and truly like
to know is what's next?

{ames,lll-winken,rutgers}!netsys!len
len@netsys.com

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (11/03/88)

In article <11085@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>Now that the news guru's mailing list is dead, what direction do things
>go in now? Do we all just do whatever we feel like? It looks like that
>will happen unless some direction is given to the community of sites.

I have a Great Idea(TM) !!!

We'll start a NEW mailing list.  This list will have NEW rules.  Like,
you must be listed as the site administrator in your systems map entry.
Like, you must be approved for inclusion.  Like, if you screw up the
entire list doesn't get trashed ...

>Some people complained that procedures were not followed when certain recent
>groups were created but it is nothing compared to what *could* happen, and
>maybe soon. Can you say comp.flame perhaps?

No, premature predictions of the death of usenet.  No fair.

>I sort of liked Dave Mack's Charter.. It wasn't perfect but
>certainly would have helped things out. What I would really and truly like
>to know is what's next?

I'd just like something resembling organization.

If you want to join the New Improved mailing list, send mail to the
administrivia mailbox news-gurus-request@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US and I'll
add your name ...  After the first 10 people are added everyone else
will have to be voted on.  Sounds like Bob Webber's proposal [ and a DEAL ].
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman: