[news.admin] Moderated group aliases

lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/04/88)

With the demise of the backbone, what is the status of the former
group of sites that maintained aliases for the moderated groups?

Did they die with the backbone? If so, what is the future of
moderated groups to be when these aliases start getting out
of date?

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/04/88)

#
# Did they die with the backbone? If so, what is the future of
# moderated groups to be when these aliases start getting out
# of date?

Nope.  Spaf still maintains the list of group -> mailling address translations
and still mails it out to approximately the same group of sites.  He also sends
out the "how to construct a mailpaths file" article every month or so, which
includes a list of the sites he mails the aliases to.  Decwrl is on that list,
which is how I know all of this...

Whichever site you've been using for "backbone" in your mailpaths file will
continue to work even though the name "backbone" is somewhat meaningless..
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

In article <10519@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>With the demise of the backbone, what is the status of the former
>group of sites that maintained aliases for the moderated groups?
>Did they die with the backbone? ...

Actually, there has never been a one-to-one correspondence between the
backbone and the alias sites, despite the ill-advised use of BACKBONE
as the name for them in some software.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (11/05/88)

>Whichever site you've been using for "backbone" in your mailpaths file will
>continue to work even though the name "backbone" is somewhat meaningless..

Just think of the alternative:

well-connected-site	%s