[news.admin] USENET DUPLICATE ARTICLES APPEARING: comp.sys.next

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/08/88)

Thanx to Casey for pointing out this problem to us.  As near as I can
see, however, the problem is not with us, but with a system called
`spl1' elsewhere.  I found a couple of sample duplicated articles in
comp.sys.next and diff'd the originals against the weird-looking
duplicates.  Take a look at this:

[86] [8:40am] tut:/usr/spool/news/comp/sys/next> diff 583 705
1c1
< Sender: news@accelerator
---
> Sender: news@spl1.UUCP
[87] [8:41am] tut:/usr/spool/news/comp/sys/next> diff 617 711
1c1
< Sender: news@accelerator
---
> Sender: news@spl1.UUCP

It appears to me that site spl1 has taken the article in, chewed on it
a while, and then reposted it to the network again.

This is Bad.  Naughty boy.

As to why it got back here and went out yet again, I don't know.
Normal Path: audit trails should have kept husc6 from handing it back
to us since we already appeared in that list.  Regardless, it was
re-accepted for what were evidently legitimate reasons: a unique
Message-ID.

My map files show spl1 as the Software Public Library in Chicago.
Could the admin of this site please take a look?

Thanx,
--Karl