[news.admin] Suggestion for creation of new group: accommodation.exchange

hrafsanjani@axion.bt.co.uk (Hossein Rafsanjani) (11/02/88)

I propose creating a new group for accommodation exchange.  This could be
used by people who wish to swap accommodation while away on holiday or
business.  Indeed, there could be more than just one such group - one global
and several regionals or country-wides.

Hossein Rafsanjani <hrafsanjani@axion.bt.co.uk>
Tel: +44 473 645092   Fax:  +44 473 642299
Post: RT3113, BT Research Labs, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich IP5 7RE, UK

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (11/07/88)

In article <494@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> hrafsanjani@axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>I propose creating a new group for accommodation exchange.  This could be
>used by people who wish to swap accommodation while away on holiday or
>business.  Indeed, there could be more than just one such group - one global
>and several regionals or country-wides.

This was suggested some time ago for looking for ride sharing partners.
Arguments against included the very limited usefulness of the group.  A
globally broadcast message should help out more than two people [ the
sender and the person accepting the exchange ].

I agree with that line of arguing and therefore object to the newsgroup.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman:

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (11/09/88)

From article <8472@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, by jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II):
> In article <494@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> hrafsanjani@axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>>I propose creating a new group for accommodation exchange.  This could be
>>used by people who wish to swap accommodation while away on holiday or
>>business.  Indeed, there could be more than just one such group - one global
>>and several regionals or country-wides.
>
> This was suggested some time ago for looking for ride sharing partners.
> Arguments against included the very limited usefulness of the group.  A
> globally broadcast message should help out more than two people [ the
> sender and the person accepting the exchange ].
>
> I agree with that line of arguing and therefore object to the newsgroup.

I was going to respond to this mentioning the attempt to get "rec.travel"
created some time back, but John beat me to it :-)

I supported rec.travel, with some sort of trickery to allow what Mr. Sanjani
(?? only have above message ID to go from) suggests, that is

I want a ride-to/accomodation-in Grinnell, Iowa. Well, obviously I don't
want that posted internationally, but if I post it here in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania with a "Distribution: ia" line, it won't even get anywhere. So
I would need some way of getting it to that area. Perhaps one moderator in
each geographical area with autorouting from some central address, so I
would _mail_ it the automoderator which would then _post_ it to the
appropriate regions via the local moderators. That should be easy to do from
the standpoint of what the world at large sees - they just see the group as
moderated, so posts to the group get mailed to the (auto)moderator.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this implementation idea? I would very much
like to see the newsgroup created, probably as rec.travel. I'd be happy to
act as the Western Pennsylvania area moderator for the group.

Well, we'll see. :-)

--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (11/10/88)

In article <494@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> hrafsanjani@axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>I propose creating a new group for accommodation exchange.  This could be
>used by people who wish to swap accommodation while away on holiday or
>business.

   I submit that the already existing group "soc.net-people" is appropriate
for this purpose. We don't need another newsgroup. The traffic volume in
soc.net-people is quite low, and I think this kind of request fits very
well there.

--Greg

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (11/11/88)

I'm sure that a ride in or out of the great lakes region would be
a reasonable topic in alt.great-lakes.  Perhaps other small, poorly
distributed newsgroups would be similarly considered useful by
the individuals involved.

--Ed