[news.admin] AT&T mail forwarding

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/11/88)

In article <807@dcrlg1.UUCP>, zzw0039@dcrlg1.UUCP (Al Ethridge) writes:
> From article <11697@conexch.UUCP>, by root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera):
>

> > Instead of "donating their resources to their competitors" [sic], AT&T
> > now uses their competitors computing resources to offer UUCP based
> > E-Mail facilities to their ATT-Mail cu$tomers.  They deny the rest of
> > the UUCP network the ability to route mail through AT&T sites, while
> > expecting the net to allow AT&T traffic to pass through, so they can
> > make a profit on it.
> >
> If ATT is going to do stuff like that then why not cut them off from the
> outside world. It works both ways. Maybe that will wake them up (but I
> doubt it.

I've been curious about this whole issue for some time now, but haven't asked
any questions, because I didn't want to dig up old wounds.  Well, now that
someone else has brought it up, can someone dig through their archives, and
post the 'official' reason that AT&T gave for denying the net from using them
to forward mail.  I don't buy this "donating their resources" deal.  It stinks.

I'm not a believer in the 'cut them off' theory of net.management, but at the
same time, the amount of AT&T traffic that flows through any of my machines
is nonexistant.  If you want to throw stones at AT&T for making a profit
out of everyone's "donation of resources", start looking at Portal, or some
of the other pay-as-you-post systems.  I can understand news traffic, but
it seems to me the amount of 'resources' they dedicate to mail forwarding
couldn't be that bad.  Of course, if they *really* wanted to get out of
the business of data communications (:-), then they should have done something
like Sun Microsystems, and start playing around with the routing.  In this
way, everyone would have taken them out of their routing tables, with no
hard feelings :-)
						- Der
--
	dtynan@sultra.UUCP  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

 ---  God invented alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the planet  ---