[news.admin] bugfix for inews

battan@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Battan) (10/26/88)

In article <5686@fluke.COM> (news.software.b), I write:
> Recently, I've noticed core dumps being left by inews.  I ran it through
> dbx, and traced it down to being caused by control messages.
> I only have seen it recently.
[BTW: This is running B11.2.14]

After I posted that message, I realized that the core dumps were all
coming from the UUCP maps posted to comp.mail.maps.  I found tons of
.ina* and .ara* files sitting in the news directory, all of them UUCP
maps from rutgers.  Has anyone recently changed the way these maps are
posted?  Off-hand, I don't see any changes.
--
Jim Battan  (+1 206 356 6469)
battan@tc.fluke.COM  ||  {sun,uw-beaver,decvax!microsoft}!fluke!battan

pleasant@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) (10/26/88)

There hasn't been any changes in the way maps are posted to comp.mail.maps
that I am aware of.  Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  If so, please
tell me right away.
--

                                  Mel Pleasant
 {backbone}!rutgers!pleasant   pleasant@rutgers.edu     mpleasant@zodiac.bitnet

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (10/26/88)

In article <5695@fluke.COM> battan@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Battan) writes:
>After I posted that message, I realized that the core dumps were all
>coming from the UUCP maps posted to comp.mail.maps.  I found tons of
>.ina* and .ara* files sitting in the news directory, all of them UUCP
>maps from rutgers.  Has anyone recently changed the way these maps are
>posted?  Off-hand, I don't see any changes.

Hmmmm... After reading this I went and checked my news directory and I
found the same thing.  This explains the mysterious random failure of
inews I asked about in news.software.b last week.  The articles which
failed to get sent by inews seem to correspond to the ones that are
lying around in the news directory.  Looks like I'll have to try
this patch...   (patch, patch, tinker, tinker....)

--
Internet: skip@claris.com	      Applelink: SCHIPPER1
UUCP: {ames,apple,sun}!claris!skip    Phone: 415-960-2618

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/26/88)

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) writes:
   Hmmmm... After reading this I went and checked my news directory and I
   found the same thing.  This explains the mysterious random failure of

It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
posting hardware/software configurations in use.  I have just checked
my systems and have no problems (no defunct .[ai]* files in
/usr/spool/news).  So it would seem to be a problem peculiar to
certain types of systems.

Pyramid 98x w/OSx 4.0 and 3B2/400 w/SysVRel3.0 are `clean.'

--Karl

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (10/27/88)

In article <25756@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
>posting hardware/software configurations in use....

We're running a Sun 3/50 with Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.4.  News software
is 2.11, patchlevel 14.

--

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (10/28/88)

In article <5695@fluke.COM> battan@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Battan) writes:
>...I found tons of
>.ina* and .ara* files sitting in the news directory, all of them UUCP
>maps from rutgers.  Has anyone recently changed the way these maps are
>posted?

Over the last 2-3 weeks I, too, have been seeing lots of .ina* and .ara*
files sitting in the news directory, all of which are uucp maps from
rutgers.  I haven't yet gone looking for the bug, opting for housecleaning
for now.  Anyone know the story?

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/28/88)

In article <25756@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
>posting hardware/software configurations in use.  I have just checked
>my systems and have no problems (no defunct .[ai]* files in
>/usr/spool/news).  So it would seem to be a problem peculiar to
>certain types of systems.

Sun 386i SunOS 4.0 News 2.11 Patchlevel 14

jim

--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (10/28/88)

>It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
>posting hardware/software configurations in use.  I have just checked
>my systems and have no problems (no defunct .[ai]* files in
>/usr/spool/news).  So it would seem to be a problem peculiar to
>certain types of systems.
>
>Pyramid 98x w/OSx 4.0 and 3B2/400 w/SysVRel3.0 are `clean.'

If the problem is a core dump on the moral equivalent of

	char *p = NULL;

	p++;
	do_something_with(*p);

then it's not surprisng the 3B2 is clean, unless you linked the software
with "-z" or whatever the option to take location 0 out of the address
space is called, and it's not surprising it blew up on a Sun.  I can't
speak for the Pyramid; I don't know if it slaps your wrist for
dereferencing null pointers or not.

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (10/28/88)

From article <393@zinn.MV.COM>, by mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett):
> In article <5695@fluke.COM> battan@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Battan) writes:
>>...I found tons of .ina* and .ara* files sitting in the news directory,
>>all of them UUCP maps
> Over the last 2-3 weeks I, too, have been seeing lots of .ina* and .ara*
> files sitting in the news directory, all of which are uucp maps from

Me too, but with a slight difference.  The maps in question were
successfully posted to comp.mail.maps BUT my automatic unshar script
in the news/sys file failed to work:

UUMAP:world,usa,na,comp.mail.maps::/usr/lib/news/uumap

If I run the script by hand using the failed .ina* files, it works
correctly.  The failing system is a Sun 3/2?? running Sun OS/4.0.
The same shell script and (source for) B news ( patchlevel 14 )
works on an IBM RT/PC with AIX 2.2.  Are other people with the
problem using Sun 4.0?  I'm pretty sure it worked ok with a prior
release ...
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

battan@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Battan) (10/28/88)

In article <25756@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
>posting hardware/software configurations in use.
>Pyramid 98x w/OSx 4.0 and 3B2/400 w/SysVRel3.0 are `clean.'

It is obviously only going to happen on systems that give you a segmentation
violation when you try to access memory at word 0, like on Suns.  Our news
machine is a Sun 2/120 running SunOS 3.4, News B.2.11.14.  The code in
control.c tries to indirect through memory location 1 when it's done with the
list of filenames to remove.  My patch prevents this.

I'm still perplexed as to why Sun sites (including ours) haven't seen this in
the past.
--

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/29/88)

In article <330@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
|>It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
|>posting hardware/software configurations in use.  I have just checked
|
|If the problem is a core dump on the moral equivalent of
|
|	char *p = NULL;
|
|	p++;
|	do_something_with(*p);
|
|then it's not surprisng the 3B2 is clean, unless you linked the software
|with "-z" or whatever the option to take location 0 out of the address
|space is called, and it's not surprising it blew up on a Sun.  I can't

Umh, a 'Sun' 680x0 is not surprising, but a Sun 386?

Or did they implement 'no location 0' option as default.

Whatever, the posted patch *does* fix the ~news/.??*, the ~news/core,
and the 'why weren't my maps batched' problems. ( for a Sun 386i).

jim

--

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (10/29/88)

In article <5744@fluke.COM> battan@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Battan) writes:
>I'm still perplexed as to why Sun sites (including ours) haven't seen this in
>the past.

I've always noticed a number of these . files building up in /usr/spool/news
on our Sun.  Periodically I would clean them out.  Since I installed the
patch, there hasn't been a single one.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (10/30/88)

In article <1160@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>I've always noticed a number of these . files building up in /usr/spool/news
>on our Sun.  Periodically I would clean them out.  Since I installed the
>patch, there hasn't been a single one.

The patch seems to have fixed things here on our Sun too.  I haven't seen
any of the .ina or .ara files building up and the map updates are working
great!

--

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (10/30/88)

In article <25756@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
: It would be mightily useful if those finding this problem would start
: posting hardware/software configurations in use.  I have just checked
: my systems and have no problems (no defunct .[ai]* files in
: /usr/spool/news).  So it would seem to be a problem peculiar to
: certain types of systems.

Sun 3/280, SunOS 3.4 fails.
Sun 3/280, SunOS 4.0 seems to fail, but there may be other causes.
Zenith 386, latest Microport UNIX seems OK, but I'll check in a few days.

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

In article <120@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP I wrote:
:
: Sun 3/280, SunOS 3.4 fails.
: Sun 3/280, SunOS 4.0 seems to fail, but there may be other causes.
: Zenith 386, latest Microport UNIX seems OK, but I'll check in a few days.

All running B 2.11 12/1/87.

Sorry.

---

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/01/88)

>Umh, a 'Sun' 680x0 is not surprising, but a Sun 386?
>
>Or did they implement 'no location 0' option as default.

They implemented "no location 0" as default.  From COFF(5):

     When an a.out file is  loaded  into  memory  for  execution,
     three  logical  segments  are  set up: the text segment, the
     data segment (initialized data  followed  by  uninitialized,
     the  latter  actually  being  initialized to all 0's), and a
     stack.  The  text  segment  starts  at  location  0x1000  by
     default.

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (11/04/88)

In article <25995@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
> Tut == Pyramid 98x:
>
> [135] [1:59pm] tut:/dino0/karl/tmp> cat > z.c
> main()
> {
>         char *p = (char *)0;
>         p++;
>         *p = 'p';
>         printf("done\n");
> }
> [136] [1:59pm] tut:/dino0/karl/tmp> cc z.c -o z
> [137] [2:00pm] tut:/dino0/karl/tmp> ./z
> Bus error (core dumped)

Here are the results for System V/AT ('286):
obie!wes[44] cat z.c
main()
{
	char *p = (char *)0;
	p++;
	*p = 'p';
	printf("done\n");
}
obie!wes[45] time cc -o z z.c
2.4u 4.1s 0:10 64%
obie!wes[45] ./z
done
obie!wes[46] time cc -o z -Ml z.c	# use "large memory model"
2.8u 3.9s 0:11 60%
obie!wes[47] ./z
./z: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped
obie!wes[48] rm core z z.c

Neat, huh?  This is why: using the small memory model (the default),
pointers are 16-bit offsets into the data segments.  Addresses DS:0 and
DS:1 are valid, writable addresses, so the program runs correctly in
small model.  In the large model, however, pointers are 32 bits, and
include the segment selector.  This makes (char *)0 equal address 0:0,
which may or may not be a valid address in the process' space.  If it is
a valid address, it is probably in the code segment, which CANNOT be
writable on the '286.  This system can really be a nightmare to port to!

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"How come he didn't put `I think' at the end of it?" - James P. Hogan

jbrown@herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) (11/09/88)

> [test pgm works in small model, not in large model]

> Neat, huh?  This is why: using the small memory model (the default),
> pointers are 16-bit offsets into the data segments.  Addresses DS:0 and
> DS:1 are valid, writable addresses, so the program runs correctly in
> small model.  In the large model, however, pointers are 32 bits, and
> include the segment selector.  This makes (char *)0 equal address 0:0,

So far so good.

> which may or may not be a valid address in the process' space.  If it is
> a valid address, it is probably in the code segment, which CANNOT be
> writable on the '286.

Segment 0 is NEVER valid.  Guaranteed.  (Amazing, Intel doing something
right!)

> This system can really be a nightmare to port to!

Not if your code is portable.  The only real problems come if you use sbrk
to allocate memory instead of malloc, or if you want to work with single
objects (arrays, structures, etc) bigger than 64K.  In general, you can't
assume anything about pointers to different objects.

We found a lot of bugs by running things under 286 large model...

(Don't get me wrong.  All in all I'd rather have a conventional
addressing model, as long as address 0 is mapped out, code is read-only,
and nonexistant memory causes faults.  Unfortunately, few versions of
UNIX choose to do all of these "obviously right" things.  It's hard not
to on a 286 in large model.)

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (11/11/88)

In article <8@herron.uucp> jbrown@jato.jpl.nasa.gov writes:
>We found a lot of bugs by running things under 286 large model...

i compile all of my new software in 286 or 8086 mode.  those cpus are so
brain damaged that merely making it thru the compiler and a short test
run is a very good indicator of correctness.

ps - i'm not joking.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Artifical Trish: