[news.admin] Using .UUCP

news@orcenl.uucp (News adm'r, Bjorn Engsig) (11/03/88)

It seems, that articles from sites with real domain names, often does not
put this domain in their news From: (or Reply-To:) line.  If their
machine is not registred in the uucp-map, it is not possible to reply
directly to the sender, if the from line is simply From: user@host.UUCP.

I'v tried this several times, getting the mail back from my backbone, and
then I have to look for the real name (with the correct domain) in the
signature or somewhere else.

I'm aware that this involves lots of news administrators, but it cannot
be urged strongly enough to change the .UUCP to your proper domain, if
you cannot be reached thru the uucp maps.  In news, version 2.11 you do
it by defining MYDOMAIN or GENERICFROM in your defs.h via localize.sh.

--
Usenet administrator (Bjorn Engsig) at ORACLE Europe, Naarden, The Netherlands.
news@orcenl.uucp, ..!mcvax!orcenl!{usenet,news}		Phone: +31 21 59 56 411

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (11/06/88)

In article <485.orcenl@orcenl.uucp> news@orcenl.uucp (News adm'r, Bjorn Engsig) writes:

>I'm aware that this involves lots of news administrators, but it cannot
>be urged strongly enough to change the .UUCP to your proper domain, if
>you cannot be reached thru the uucp maps.  In news, version 2.11 you do
>it by defining MYDOMAIN or GENERICFROM in your defs.h via localize.sh.

Actually, this might not be the problem.  Unless there was a patch that I
missed, the Pnews program that is provided with rn is a likely candidate for
the cause of this problem.  When rn was first released it was before most of
the sites had started to become "domained" and Larry hard coded the .UUCP
into the shell script.  If you are running rn at your site I would suggest
you go to the directory that you have the source stored in and do a grep
for UUCP in all the .c, .h. and .SH files.  If memory serves me correctly
you will find three or four of them.  Edit all these files to reflect your
real domain name and then recompile and reinstall the programs.  This is
one of the only problems that I have ever had with rn.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave

news@orcenl.uucp (News adm'r, Bjorn Engsig) (11/11/88)

In article <539@galaxia.zone1.com>, dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley)
writes (as a followup to my article <485.orcenl@orcenl.uucp>:

> Actually, this might not be the problem.  Unless there was a patch that I
> missed, the Pnews program that is provided with rn is a likely candidate for
> the cause of this problem.

This is ALSO a cause.  The MYDOMAIN and GENERICFROM defines I mentioned,
will cure the problem if you use postnews, you should of course make
similar changes to Pnews.

Thank you for pointing this out.

(Pnews does sadly enough not have anything similar to GENERICFROM
(and GENERICPATH), which makes all articles from a bunch of machines at
one site look like they came from one machine only.  I had to
patch this in by hand)