[news.admin] The Internet Virus--A Commentary

clb@loci.UUCP (Charles Brunow) (11/14/88)

In article <4176@encore.UUCP>, bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
> >and concerned about right and wrong?  I don't think I've ever seen a
> >person become responsible or moral as a result of a class -- this seems
> >to be a set of values kids acquire (or don't acquire) pretty young.
>
> intention is to try to get a bunch of mostly young people in a room
> once and try to convince them not to do some of these things.

	If you've got kids, like grade school age, then you know that
	many of the cartoon villians either break in to computers,
	or are computers, or some combination of viruses, etc.
	You have a tremendous amount of de-programming to do if you
	hope to overcome saturday TV.  Combine that with the fact
	that the school's program in computer literacy is a pathetic
	sham,  the kids have no one but their peers to learn from.

	If you are serious about changing the ethics of student
	then perhaps you should make a point to volunteer your own
	time to help out the educational process.  ("you" means
	everyone, no one in particular).  It's easy enough to say
	"something's got to be done", but are you ready to take
	an active part in the process?  If you can get kids interested
	in something like 4-D graphics they won't have the spare time
	to mess with "cracking".

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	clb@loci.uucp, loci@csccat.uucp, loci@killer.dallas.tx.us