[news.admin] QUESTION OF MODERATION FOR NEWS.ADMIN: VOTE TALLY

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (10/30/88)

One month ago today, I called for votes on the question of moderating
news.admin.  My call for votes was based on a perceived demand for
moderation.  Here are the results of my census.

YES VOTES - 165
NO VOTES  -  82
	    ---
DIFFERENCE:  83

While YES votes outnumbered NO votes more than two to one, it is
a convention that actions such as moderation of an existing group
require at least 100 YES votes over NO votes.

However, it is clear that some form of action is required.  Many
people strongly suggested that we start posting guidelines for posting
into news.admin, due to its volatile nature.  I'll implement this in
some manner or another.  Your comments are solicited.

The addresses of those who voted with their respective votes follow:

-------------------------  YES VOTES -------------------------------

@cunyvm.cuny.edu:mauhk@CU.WARWICK.AC.UK
@relay.cs.net,@neat.ai.toronto.edu:brian@radio.astro.toronto.edu
@relay.cs.net,@tektronix.tek.com:jeff@hammer.gwd.tek.com
@relay.cs.net:brad@looking.uucp
@relay.cs.net:bs@sbsvax.de
@relay.cs.net:eschle@forty2.uucp
@relay.cs.net:sandy%oresoft.uucp@tektronix.tek.com
@relay.cs.net:scott%tekcrl.crl@tektronix.tek.com
@relay.cs.net:wyle@lavi.uucp
@virginia.acc.virginia.edu:rja@edison.ge.com
@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca:ntt@dretor
GROSSMAN@score.stanford.edu
John.Myers@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Kathryn.VanStone@nimbus.gp.cs.cmu.edu
NMBCU@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Tom.Lane@zog.cs.cmu.edu
ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
ane@hal.cwru.edu
aplcen!jhunix!fallst!tkevans@mimsy.umd.edu
attcan!lsuc!dave@uunet.uu.net
attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!cs-col!toto!haug@uunet.uu.net
attcan!telly!evan@uunet.uu.net
ballou%pool.DEC@decwrl.dec.com
bch@uncecs.edu
bgsuvax!osu-cis!mstar!karl@opie.bgsu.edu
blarson@skat.usc.edu
brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu
brian@apollo.com
bsu-cs!dhesi@gold.bacs.indiana.edu
c3pe!cucstud!wb8foz@decuac.dec.com
cbp@foster.oz.au
cher%whutt%att@research.att.com
chiefdan@vax1.acs.udel.edu
chuq@sun.com
claris!clay@ames.arc.nasa.gov
claris!skip@ames.arc.nasa.gov
csun!lkw@rdlvax.rdl.com
csun!polyslo!rducky!jrp@rdlvax.rdl.com
cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com
daitc!dsacg1!ntm1569@uunet.uu.net
datapg!sewilco@uunet.uu.net
david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
davidf@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk
davids@iscuva.iscs.com
ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org
dhp%att@research.att.com
dmk@pilot.njin.net
don@anzio.gatech.edu
dsinc!syd@bpa.bell-atl.com
duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz
ecl%mtgzy%att@research.att.com
edson@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
eggert@sm.unisys.com
elroy!suned1!efb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
encore!bu-cs!gloom!cory@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
enea!kullmar!bk@uunet.uu.net
enea!log-hb!akeh@uunet.uu.net
enea!tucos!moj@uunet.uu.net
felix!kenny@trwrb.dsd.trw.com
frog!john@eddie.mit.edu
fsc2086!root@uunet.uu.net
gatech!dcatla!fsg@handies.ucar.edu
gatech!ncoast!cwjcc!smith@handies.ucar.edu
geoff@itcorp.com
grebyn!karl@css.nrl.navy.mil
greg@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com
grs%alobar%att@research.att.com
hawkmoon!det@mmm.serc.3m.com
henry@garp.mit.edu
horner@presto.ig.com
howard@tage.ericsson.se
hpcea!hpda!hpindda!marcia@hplabs.hp.com
idc@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk
ima!haddock!karl@bbn.com
ingr!jones@uunet.uu.net
ism780c!ico!kirk@orc.olivetti.com
ism780c!ico!sys1!hal6000!iv@orc.olivetti.com
jbuck@epimass.epi.com
jetson!john@decuac.dec.com
jfh@rpp386.dallas.tx.us
jim@cs.odu.edu
jkimball@src.honeywell.com
jkimble@crash.cts.com
john@basser.cs.su.oz.au
johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu
jwp%chem@ucsd.edu
jxh@cup.portal.com
karen@rand-unix.arpa
ki4pv!tanner@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
killer!csccat!loci!clb@cms2.gsfc.nasa.gov
killer!linimon@cms2.gsfc.nasa.gov
killer!mjbtn!root@cms2.gsfc.nasa.gov
kmw@ardent.ardent.com
ksr!dudek@harvard.harvard.edu
kurt@hi.unm.edu
kylo@uncecs.edu
lauri@presto.ig.com
lear@NET.BIO.NET
liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us
lloyd!sunfs2!tod@hscfvax.harvard.edu
maart@cs.vu.nl
mangler@csvax.caltech.edu
matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu
mcvax!orcenl!bengsig@uunet.uu.net
mende@aramis.rutgers.edu
mhayes@uvicctr.uvic.ca
microsof!w-tedt@uunet.uu.net
mnetor!lethe!geaclib!drew@uunet.uu.net
motmpl!ron@mcdchg.chi.il.us
msb@sq.sq.com
myrias!cmt@ncc.nexus.ca
ncc!lyndon@uunet.uu.net
netsys!len@decuac.dec.com
newton@cs.utexas.edu
nfsun!libove!root@uunet.uu.net
nomad@verdix.com
nosun!tessi!joey@sun.com
nyssa%terminus@research.att.com
oliveb!bunker!wtm@ames.arc.nasa.gov
osm@heifetz.ann-arbor.mi.us
oxy!paul@csvax.caltech.edu
phiggins@orion.cf.uci.edu
phri!roy@nyu.edu
phyllis@bcsaic.boeing.com
ray@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu
rayssd!gmp@gatech.edu
redsox!campbell@wjh12.harvard.edu
rob@tcville.hac.com
roger@xn.ll.mit.edu
rogerk@wright.mips.com
romain@pyramid.pyramid.com
romkey@asylum.uucp
roode@orc.olivetti.com
rsk@mace.cc.purdue.edu
sco!keithr@ucscc.ucsc.edu
scs%iti@umix.cc.umich.edu
seeger@dali.iec.ufl.edu
shefter-bret@yale.arpa
skyler@uncecs.edu
soma!shell!stan@watson.ee.utexas.edu
stiatl!pda@gatech.edu
stpstn!aad@philabs.philips.com
suned1!efb@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
sunybcs!ur-cc!srs!matt@rutgers.edu
tadguy@cs.odu.edu
tale@life.pawl.rpi.edu
tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu
texbell!tness7!vector!chip@cs.utexas.edu
tim%attdso%att@research.att.com
tlxprs!fantasci!root@vsedev.vse.com
tombre@crin.crin.fr
tower@bu-it.bu.edu
troly@math.ucla.edu
ucdavis!gvgpsa!davew@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
ucqais!showard@uccba.uc.edu
uiucdcs!pur-ee!mlm@uunet.uu.net
vixie@decwrl.dec.com
vsi1!tolerant!jane@altos.arpa
werner@astro.as.utexas.edu
wezel@bio.vu.nl
wood@emmy.ma.utexas.edu
woods@handies.ucar.edu
xait!lakart!dg@think.com
yba@sabre.bellcore.com
yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov

--------------------------   NO VOTES   --------------------------

@relay.cs.net,@neat.ai.toronto.edu,@utzoo,@telly:cks@ziebmef
@relay.cs.net:nate@mipos2.intel.com
@relay.cs.net:rdgreenall@lotus.waterloo.edu
RWC102@psuvm.bitnet
YBMCU@cunyvm.cuny.edu
acornrc!bob@decwrl.dec.com
amdahl!gam@walt.cc.utexas.edu
apctrc!drd!pecan!mark@uunet.uu.net
aplcen!osiris!news@mimsy.umd.edu
ateng!chip@uunet.uu.net
barry@eos.arc.nasa.gov
bei!paul@sgi.com
bgg@yarra.oz.au
bill@carpet.wlk.com
bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu
bob@rel.eds.com
brisco@pilot.njin.net
bungia!sialis!rjg@cs.umn.edu
cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu
comdesign!canary!pst@uunet.uu.net
cstam@cont1.dayton.ncr.com
cucard!ccnysci!dan@nyu.edu
daemon@husc6.harvard.edu
daver!versatc!datack!cratz@wombat.stsci.edu
david@e.ms.uky.edu
decvax!zinn!mem@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
djn@jupiter.nmt.edu
drogers@riacs.edu
emv@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
esj@manatee.cis.ufl.edu
execu!dewey@cs.utexas.edu
ficc!karl@uunet.uu.net
ficc!morrison@uunet.uu.net
ficc!peter@uunet.uu.net
george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu
glenns%pipe@gatech.edu
gore@eecs.nwu.edu
greg@gryphon.cts.com
grr@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
hal!uccba!cesbws!ceetm1!yun@cwjcc.cwru.edu
jcb@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk
jj%alice@research.att.com
jmturn@somewhere.uucp
karl@ddsw1.mcs.com
karl@sugar.uu.net
killer!root@cms2.gsfc.nasa.gov
kodak!gizzmo!lazlo!sabin!ritcsh!boba@cs.rochester.edu
krone@presto.ig.com
legare@emx.utexas.edu
levin@oakland.bbn.com
lll-winken!lll-crg!ames!rutgers!hplabs.hp.com!hpcea!hpda!hpsemc!jat
mcmi!denny@uunet.uu.net
mike@turing.unm.edu
msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu
nitrex!rbl@uunet.uu.net
nucsrl!chinet!garret@oddjob.uchicago.edu
nucsrl!chinet!rissa@oddjob.uchicago.edu
oleg@gryphon.cts.com
osu-cis!att!watmath!electro!carlo@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
page@swan.ulowell.edu
phri!dasys1!tneff@nyu.edu
pyramid!tmpmbx!pengo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
richard@gryphon.cts.com
rsb584@leah.albany.edu
sartin@inferno.ptp.hp.com
sco!davidbe@uunet.uu.net
silverio@brahms.berkeley.edu
sob@bcm.tmc.edu
sp7040!obie!wes@sun.com
spaf@purdue.edu
spl1!quintro!root@lll-winken.llnl.gov
steinmetz!welty@uunet.uu.net
steve@athena.mit.edu
stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
sulaco!allen@sun.com
sun!sjsumcs!ctnews!mitisft!bms@decwrl.dec.com
tedell@ucdavis.edu
texbell!root@tness7.sw1e.swbt.com
unido!isaak!einstein!luik@uunet.uu.net
wbt%cbnews@research.att.com
wes@emptys.cc.umich.edu

--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/02/88)

# YES VOTES - 165
# NO VOTES  -  82
# 	    ---
# DIFFERENCE:  83
#
# While YES votes outnumbered NO votes more than two to one, it is
# a convention that actions such as moderation of an existing group
# require at least 100 YES votes over NO votes.
# [...]
# --
# Eliot Lear
# [lear@net.bio.net]

It looks like the existing group is well-liked by a lot of people.  I suggest
that those of us who want a moderated forum set one up -- it would be sort of
neat to put it in alt, but I think news.admin.{funny,useful,real,only} would
fit.

Once a moderated version exists, all useful traffic will probably move over
there.  When news.admin dies, the moderated one can be renamed.

This is more steps, but it will get us where we want to go.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) (11/03/88)

In article <31@gnome6.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
># YES VOTES - 165
># NO VOTES  -  82
># 	    ---
># DIFFERENCE:  83
>#
>
>It looks like the existing group is well-liked by a lot of people.

And it looks like it is also disliked by twice as many people.

>I suggest
>that those of us who want a moderated forum set one up -- it would be sort of
>neat to put it in alt, but I think news.admin.{funny,useful,real,only} would
>fit.
>
>Once a moderated version exists, all useful traffic will probably move over
>there.  When news.admin dies, the moderated one can be renamed.

I agree, it would give everyone what they want (a free forum, a less noisy
forum), without really compromising what either wants to prevent (censorship
and unwanted noise).  I don't know that it would be 'neat' to put it in alt
though, I think it would fit better here as news.admin.{something}.

Ken Wallich
Ardent Computer Corp		kmw@ardent.com
Sunnyvale, California, USA      "chance is the fool's name for fate"

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (11/03/88)

How about news.admin.best-of?

This would be good for two things:

1] A summary of the good stuff posted in news.admin consisting of
   message ids and some form of summary.

2] Material that is extremely flammable.  Ie, ``how the net should
   work'' discussions, etc.

Comments?
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/03/88)

>># YES VOTES - 165
>># NO VOTES  -  82
>># 	    ---
>># DIFFERENCE:  83

>>It looks like the existing group is well-liked by a lot of people.

>And it looks like it is also disliked by twice as many people.

Where do all these silly people come from?

It looks like most people do not give a damn one way or the other.

By the way: haven't you people noticed how nice and friendly news.admin
has been for quite some time now?  Personally, I think the call for mod-
eration was simply an understandable overreaction.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (11/04/88)

In article <691@ardent.UUCP> kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
>In article <31@gnome6.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>># YES VOTES - 165
>># NO VOTES  -  82
>># 	    ---
>># DIFFERENCE:  83
>>#
>>
>>It looks like the existing group is well-liked by a lot of people.
>
>And it looks like it is also disliked by twice as many people.

The answer is quite simple.  Create news.admin.d for people wanting to
discuss news administrators, and then moderate news.admin so news admins
can have a place to news administration.

If we can convince Ed V. it is needed do you think he'll create it?
Or do we have to convince spaf on this one?
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman:

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (11/04/88)

 In article <691@ardent.UUCP> kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
 >In article <31@gnome6.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
 >># YES VOTES - 165
 >># NO VOTES  -  82
 >># 	    ---
 >># DIFFERENCE:  83
 >>
 >>It looks like the existing group is well-liked by a lot of people.
 >
 >And it looks like it is also disliked by twice as many people.
 >
 >>Once a moderated version exists, all useful traffic will probably move over
 >>there.  When news.admin dies, the moderated one can be renamed.

I think we have been around on this before, but instead of creating YAG,
could we make news.sysadmin moderated?  The volume there appears to be
pretty low...  Perhaps this should be read as a suggestion to reclassify
some news.groups and their intent to the net...

paul
--
Paul Anderson		gatech!stiatl!pda		(404) 841-4000
	    X isn't just an adventure, X is a way of life...

greyham@ausonics.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (11/04/88)

in article <31@gnome6.pa.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) says:

> It looks like the existing group is well-liked by a lot of people.  I suggest
> that those of us who want a moderated forum set one up -- it would be sort of
> neat to put it in alt, but I think news.admin.{funny,useful,real,only} would
> fit.
>
> Once a moderated version exists, all useful traffic will probably move over
> there.  When news.admin dies, the moderated one can be renamed.
>
> This is more steps, but it will get us where we want to go.

Hey, can't you read? The vote *failed*. The steps you describe are not where
the collective "we" want to go.
--
# Greyham Stoney:      (disclaimer not necessary: I'm obviously irresponsible)
# greyham@ausonics.oz - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove.  /* Official Sponsor */

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (11/04/88)

> The answer is quite simple.  Create news.admin.d for people wanting to
> discuss news administrators, and then moderate news.admin so news admins
> can have a place to news administration.
>
> If we can convince Ed V. it is needed do you think he'll create it?
> Or do we have to convince spaf on this one?

NO!!!

This is entirely inappropriate.  If there is one thing that vote
showed us, it was that people want news.admin left alone.  Please
leave it alone.  If you want to create another group and moderate
it, fine, but don't touch news.admin.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Patricia Roberts) (11/04/88)

In article <8411@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <691@ardent.UUCP> kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
>The answer is quite simple.  Create news.admin.d for people wanting to
>discuss news administrators, and then moderate news.admin so news admins
>can have a place to news administration.

This was NOT what the vote was about.  It was whether news.admin should be
moderated, not whether it should be moderated AND restricted to news
administrators.  If you want to follow protocol, hold a vote on the issue
whether or not it should be restricted to administrators.  I, for one, will
vote against that.

-Trish 					"We've had triumphs, we've
					 made mistakes, we've had sex."
skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu		-G. Bush about Reagan

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (11/04/88)

In article <Nov.3.23.42.38.1988.12254@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
}> The answer is quite simple.  Create news.admin.d for people wanting to
}> discuss news administrators, and then moderate news.admin so news admins
}> can have a place to news administration.
}>
}> If we can convince Ed V. it is needed do you think he'll create it?
}> Or do we have to convince spaf on this one?
}
}
}NO!!!
}
}This is entirely inappropriate.  If there is one thing that vote
}showed us, it was that people want news.admin left alone.  Please
}leave it alone.  If you want to create another group and moderate
}it, fine, but don't touch news.admin.
}--
}Eliot Lear
}[lear@net.bio.net]

Indeed, this is exactly right.  By any stretch of the imagination, when a
real vote FAILS it is not a mandate to be screwing around with an existing
group.  There's lots of precedent for making a NEW group, making it be
moderated if thats what the people who vote for the new group with, but
changing what has been explicitly supported isn't being responsible to
both sides.

There's no question that a large number of folks want a moderated forum, and
only a little work could create one.  There's also no question that a fair
and open vote mandated news.admin to be unmoderated.  Lets play a fair on
this one, or we might as well dump all discussions in favor of the 'this is
what I want the votes to mean'.

I'm not attacking anyone here, I think simply that a bit less mucking around
with existing things (if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and the majority
voting felt it ain't broke).

Thanks for your time.

Dewey Henize

| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|                   execu!dewey             Dewey Henize                      |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (11/05/88)

In article <Nov.3.23.42.38.1988.12254@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>> Create news.admin.d for people wanting to
>> discuss news administrators, and then moderate news.admin so news admins
>> can have a place to news administration.
>If there is one thing that vote
>showed us, it was that people want news.admin left alone.  Please
>leave it alone.  If you want to create another group and moderate
>it, fine, but don't touch news.admin.

I am reposting a question from earlier this week, as I don't think it made
it out.  Sorry if this is a repeat..

Why not moderate news.sysadmin?  It's volume is relatively low.  Perhaps
this is a call for discussion of the focus of the various newsgroups.  Could
someone (Gene S.?) please post the original newsgroup focus info for each
of the news.all groups?  Then we wouldn't have to go around on this too
many more times...

paul
--

kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) (11/10/88)

In article <5740@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> skyler@ecsvax.UUCP (Patricia Roberts) writes:
>In article <8411@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>In article <691@ardent.UUCP> kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
>>The answer is quite simple.  Create news.admin.d for people wanting to
>>discuss news administrators, and then moderate news.admin so news admins
>>can have a place to news administration.
>
>This was NOT what the vote was about.  It was whether news.admin should be
>moderated, not whether it should be moderated AND restricted to news
>administrators.

Hey, keep *my* name out of this.  This is just another of John's cynical jokes.

If you read it carefully, it is obvious he is not being serious.  Not that I
advocate mildly satirical humor in a group where many people have no sense of
it.

I simply agreed that it might be usefull to discuss Eliot's secondary proposal
of creating a moderated version of news.admin SEPARATE from news.admin, and
LEAVE news.admin ALONE, which seemed to be the wish of a lot of people (leaving
news.admin alone, that is).

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/10/88)

In article <66@ausonics.OZ> greyham@ausonics.OZ (Greyham Stoney) writes:
# in article <31@gnome6.pa.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) says:
# > Once a moderated version exists, all useful traffic will probably move over
# > there.  When news.admin dies, the moderated one can be renamed.
# >
# > This is more steps, but it will get us where we want to go.
#
# Hey, can't you read? The vote *failed*. The steps you describe are not where
# the collective "we" want to go.

This is absolutely uncalled for.  Can I read?  It looks that way -- I'm
answering you, right?  Yes, the vote failed.  The steps I described, however,
are not binding on the collective "we" -- see the word "probably" in the
text you quoted?  Whuzzamattuh, can't you READ?

Thus are flamers born.  I used to be such a nice guy.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600
Play:    paul@vixie.sf.ca.us     vixie!paul      +1 415 864 7013

NMBCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (11/16/88)

When someone suggested that we create "news.admin.d" for discussions of news
admin and at the same time make "news.admin" a moderated group, I think
Elliot Lear was wrong, for saying that that was wrong. This of course is
my opinion.

Elliot said that the vote showed that people do not wish to have "news.admin"
moderated (or as he put it "touched, so please leave it alone"). But Elliot,
that was then, this is now. Now people will have a choice. They will now
have a place to discuss whats going on in "news.admin". They can do it in
"news.admin.d". Of course this means that those who enjoyed posting junk to
"news.admin" will do it to "news.admin.d", rather than "news.misc", but thats
why I voted "YES" for the moderation of "news.admin" in the first place;
to get that junk out of "news.admin" and hopefully into "news.misc" where
(in my opinion) I felt it belonged.

But if voting yes to "news.admin.d" is the only way I can help get
"news.admin" moderated, then I will vote yes. When and if a vote is called
for, that is.

BTW, if a certain person at my node reads this posting within minutes
after my Netpost, please don't come to me and tell me I'm wrong. I'm
just stating MY opinion, and not the opinions of my employer, or
anyone else. :)

                                                              Nelson

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (11/18/88)

The fact is that a vote on the matter of moderation had just been
taken.  Convention holds that another vote on the subject be delayed
for six months.  I'd like to at least wait until my summary of votes
has expired from my system.

If we want to create a moderated group, ok.  But it should not be
news.admin.  Rather, create a news.admin.m or some such beast.

There is a mailing list set up for the topic in which you should
probably be included.  I'll send you details.

Eliot
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (11/22/88)

In article <1722NMBCU@CUNYVM>, NMBCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
> ...But Elliot,
> that was then, this is now. Now people will have a choice. They will now
> have a place to discuss whats going on in "news.admin". They can do it in
> "news.admin.d". Of course this means that those who enjoyed posting junk to
> "news.admin" will do it to "news.admin.d", rather than "news.misc", but thats
> why I voted "YES" for the moderation of "news.admin" in the first place;

Look, what's the difference?  The vote to moderate news.admin failed.  Since
your plan is to have a moderated news.admin and an unmoderated discussion
group, why not do it the other way around and call for discussion, then for
votes, for a new moderated group.  Judging from the number of people who voted
for moderation in Eliot's recent call for votes, a vote for a new moderated
news admin group will easily carry.

Call it news.admin.digest or whatever, but leave news.admin alone in deference
to the results of the vote that was just held.  You'll get what you want
(two groups), and it won't require ignoring the vote and the guidelines as a
result.  There's nothing so special about the character string "news.admin"
to warrant such covetry.
--
-- +1 713 274 5184, uunet!ficc!karl
-- Ferranti International Controls, 12808 W. Airport Blvd., Sugar Land, TX 77478