[news.admin] Too many map entries.

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/19/88)

OK, I run the following command;

	grep sandiego.ncr.com | wc -l

And I get 57.  Yes, that's 57 machines at NCR, which appear in the maps.
Sites like bigben.sandiego.ncr.com, etc.  Now, my understanding is, that
the whole purpose behind the registration movement, is to avoid things
like this.  I'm not picking on NCR, because there are some other companies
which pull similar stunts.  I worked at a company once, where we had 'cute'
names for all the machines in production.  Can you imagine if these were
in the maps?  There would be updates daily!  NCR in the above example should
be the gateway for their internal machines.  What does it take to get them
to remove that stuff from the map entry?  I could understand it, if the
machines were dotted across the countryside, I mean why route through
6,000 miles to get to a nearby machine, but these all appear to be in
San Diego.  Comments anyone?
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/19/88)

# [...] that's 57 machines at NCR, which appear in the maps.  Sites like
# bigben.sandiego.ncr.com, etc.  Now, my understanding is, that the whole
# purpose behind the registration movement, is to avoid things like this.
# I'm not picking on NCR, because there are some other companies which pull
# similar stunts.  [...]  NCR in the above example should be the gateway for
# their internal machines.

All of a domain's gateways need to be listed.  I don't know whether this is
the case for NCR; certainly if all the listed machines are in the same domain
and are reached through a single machine, that machine is a gateway and the
others should not be explicitly listed in the maps since they can be reached
by forwarding to that gateway.

In a case where more than one machine in a domain has external links, all
would have to be listed in the maps since each of them would have connectivity
of interest to external machines.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

mattc@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Matt Costello) (11/22/88)

In article <2660@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
>OK, I run the following command;
>
>	grep sandiego.ncr.com | wc -l
>
>And I get 57.  Yes, that's 57 machines at NCR, which appear in the maps.

The policy of listing all machines was instituted many years ago, before
the advent of domain routers.  At that time UC Berkeley was listing ~650(?)
machines, and domain routers consisted of hand-crufted sendmail rules
to route all host names beginning with "ucb" to ucbvax, etc.  This is
mostly useless now, so I've sent in an updated map entry for ncr-sd that
does not list any local hosts.

Thanks go to Der Tynan for catching this, as I'd not realized that we
were still doing this.

> Comments anyone?

There are several reasons why some sites list many of their internal
hosts.  The biggest reason to list all your hosts is to reserve the host
name.

1.  Too many sites seem to think that any simple host name in
    a UUCP path must be host.UUCP as well.  As long as agressive
    rerouters exist, having a local host with a well-known name is
    tantamount to email suicide.

2.  Netnews has not yet been domainized in the return path.  Until it
    is, what are my chances of recieving the USENET maps if my host
    name is rutgers.sandiego.ncr.com?

3.  UUCP does not handle domain names.  Ncr-sd has had to reject a
    UUCP link with at least one machine because of a host name conflict.
--
Matt Costello       <matt.costello@SanDiego.NCR.COM>      (CSNET)
+1 619 485 2926     uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-sd!mattc

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/23/88)

-

In article <355@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, Matt Costello writes:
-
- [...] so I've sent in an updated map entry for ncr-sd that
- does not list any local hosts.
-
- Thanks go to Der Tynan for catching this, as I'd not realized that we
- were still doing this.

- Matt Costello       <matt.costello@SanDiego.NCR.COM>      (CSNET)

You're welcome.  However, I would like to point out that I was not picking on
NCR in this respect.  There are *many* other sites which have similar entries.
NCR was just a good example.  What about the others?  Any comment from them?
						- Der