[news.admin] Misuse of email privileges

(Note that I have heavily edited the newsgroups line to restrict the
discussion to places where it seems to belong)

In article <5917@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> skyler@ecsvax.UUCP (Patricia Roberts) writes:
>In article <10676@ihlpa.ATT.COM> davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Makowsky) cites an
>instance of abusive email.
>
>It is my guess that most women on the net who have gotten involved in any
>substantial debate have received an almost identical piece of mail.
>
>Perhaps it is not something restricted to women; I don't know.

You're right -- it's not something restricted to women, or Jews, or ANY
other group.

I've been told to "eat %%%% and @@@" more than once on the net via email.
If it gets out of hand (only once) I email to the sysadmin of the site which
originated the mail.  Who knows whether anything was done -- the attacks
ceased, and that was all that I wanted accomplished.

I'd bet that anyone who takes a controversial stance in public is gonna have
a few people say nasty things to their face or behind their back.  That's
part of the cost of standing up in a crowd and expressing a possibly
unpopular opinion -- even given that your opinion is just as valid as the
next person's.

To turn around and post said email to the net, rather than take it up
privately with the people concerned, is rediculous.

(IMHO: This time you have to drop the relevance of the word "jewish" in
       the by-now-often-quoted mail; REMEMBER that Nancy has been involved
       in a rather vitriolic discussion of late on JUST that subject... if
       the email came out of the blue to someone who hadn't been involved in
       the nastyness on the net this would not be the case.)

The person who did this should be taken to the task -- but via reasonable
means.  It is _obvious_ that at least one of these messages is forged -- thus
there is NO information content in the headers (or body, for that matter).

I'm gonna draw a few conclusions here.  Anyone else care to comment on the
relavence of these observations?

1) The original flap was about some jokes in rec.humor.funny (which I have
   read), and ignited a massive flame war in about a dozen newsgroups.

2) Nancy Gould was involved in that flame war; one of the results of that
   was that someone (or more than one someone) sent her some nasty email.

3) Mr. Makowski takes it upon himself to post the mess to the world at
   large; email that is of bogus origin (ie: no information content for
   people to work with -- just more fuel for the fire).

4) Someone (else?) takes it to the general media, in an inflated and
   distorted form (which is usually how the media gets things).

Can anyone besides myself see an intentional pattern of escalation here,
rather than an attempt to solve the problem at hand?

You people want to solve this?  Kill all the darn noise for starters.  It
makes for interesting reading but doesn't bring any enlightenment.

Nancy, Mark,
Skyler and others:  If you don't like the fire, get the heck out of the
		    boiler room.  It is a fact of LIFE that people who speak
		    in public on topics such as these WILL be heckled,
		    ridiculed, and yes, even slammed in a generally
		    obnoxious manner.

If I had a nickel for every flame or abusive posting that I have ever read,
in email or on the net publically, directed at myself, I would be rich.  I
suspect most other netters who take "non-mainstream" opinions would as well.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

bch@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Byron C. Howes) (12/03/88)

In article <2295@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM(Karl Denninger) writes:

>If it gets out of hand (only once) I email to the sysadmin of the site which
>originated the mail.  Who knows whether anything was done -- the attacks
>ceased, and that was all that I wanted accomplished.

As a system administrator, I feel this is the most appropriate initial
response to abusive email.  If a user of a system I am responsible
for is sending abusive material, I want to be the first to know about it
so I can protect the reputation of my organization and the 600 or so
other users who make use of our facilities.

Similarly, if a user on one of our systems receives abusive or
threatening email I'd want to be the first to know about it so I
could trace the problem down and deal with it.

Going public and posting the offensive mail breaks more things than
it fixes in that it effectively prevents the authorities from doing
their job.  Further, it stirs already troubled waters to a point where
no productive goals can be realized.

>Can anyone besides myself see an intentional pattern of escalation here,
>rather than an attempt to solve the problem at hand?

Yes, and I think it should be cause for concern on all sides of the
question.  In the name of claiming the moral high ground we are
threatening the thing we're trying to preserve.

--Byron

--

Byron C. Howes			    Computer Systems Manager
bch@uncecs.edu			UNC Educational Computing Service

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (12/03/88)

In article <2295@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM(Karl Denninger) writes:
+Nancy, Mark,
+Skyler and others:  If you don't like the fire, get the heck out of the
+		    boiler room.  It is a fact of LIFE that people who speak
+		    in public on topics such as these WILL be heckled,
+		    ridiculed, and yes, even slammed in a generally
+		    obnoxious manner.

Ouch! This comes close to blaming the victim.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

In article <4340@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <2295@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM(Karl Denninger) writes:
>+Nancy, Mark,
>+Skyler and others:  If you don't like the fire, get the heck out of the
>+		    boiler room.  It is a fact of LIFE that people who speak
>+		    in public on topics such as these WILL be heckled,
>+		    ridiculed, and yes, even slammed in a generally
>+		    obnoxious manner.
>
>Ouch! This comes close to blaming the victim.

(Oh gawd, quoted out of context again.  Ok, here we go! :-)

Please read the top part of the article; I am fully in support of taking the
person(s) who sent this mail to the task for their actions -- IF they can be
positively identified.

HOWEVER, at least one of the mail messages is probably untracable (being
obviously forged), which immediately brings into question the posters'
intent and desired outcome.  The xposting to 10+ groups, and the headline
group (soc.culture.jewish) makes the intent pretty clear and beyond dispute.

I've received mail of this kind before; it's not nice, but I do get it once
in a while.  Usually it comes right after I say something on the net that
really gets to someone -- in other words, I stuck in the knife, and twisted,
and the person who was offended followed up with the harsh words.

One of the risks of being a public person, in any form, is that your
publically-spoken views will be heckled and ridiculed, and you may be as
well.  Ask Jimmy Carter (Mr. Peanut) or Reagan (Ronny Ray-Gun) about this,
or nearly anyone else who advocates a position in public.

As a person who has often advocated change of some kind or another since
my early school years, I am _WELL VERSED_ in the kinds of harassment that
this exposes one to.  Those of you would read talk.politics.misc &
misc.legal know that I personally support legalization; this stance has
garnered me more than one really offensive piece of email, including an
indirect threat to take my life!

Being public with your opinions and views, and working for change, is NEVER
easy.  It's almost never risk-free, either.  Email on the Usenet is much
like a public mailbox -- you can certainly send mail without a return
address, and in such an event, you are just as powerless to determine the
origin and take action against the perpetrator.

I certainly don't _blame_ the victims of this kind of email, no more than I
blamed myself when I received similar mail.  But I do (and did) recognize
that the mail would have NEVER BEEN SENT had I not stuck my 2 cents into the
discussion -- and in that sense, YES I did provoke the words that were sent
my way.  I stuck my head up in the crowd and made a statement -- a rather
strong and controversial one at that -- just as Nancy has done, and I
received some strong (and very offensive) words in return.

No, I won't post the name(s) of the people responsible in my case; I
resolved the problem the PROPER way, by taking it to the site admins from
where the messages originated.  They ceased within 48 hours; as my only
desire was to stop the harassment I took no further action and consider the
matter closed.

(Btw: In case anyone cares, yes I did find the email highly offensive, but
      hardly worthy of a witch-hunt.  If I had been the recipient it would
      have gotten the 'd' key without further thought, or perhaps a reply to
      root at the site involved).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (12/09/88)

In article <4340@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>Ouch! This comes close to blaming the victim.
>--

No.  It is pointing out that under the norms of usenet, there is no "victim"
involved.

There is no special significance in the fact that the word "jew" was used,
or that the recipient was a woman.  As I and others have pointed out,
everyone who expresses strong views in this forum should be prepared to take
the heat, just as in any *public* forum.

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!philabs!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347