[news.admin] Usenet volume, connections and moderation

clp@beartrk.UUCP (Charlie Pilzer) (12/09/88)

In article <9212@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:

> more sites willing to shoulder more > of the load, i.e., fewer leafs
> per branch; will make it easier to get on the net

Access to the net is not the problem nor is increasing volume.  Its everyone
passing all the news through all the machines.

I've offered to provide mail and news feeds in my area and didn't have any
takers.  Since then, I've cut down the feed to my system to those groups
that I actually follow. This was partially at the request of my upstream
site, who suggested that I not take a full feed so that he wouldn't have
to spool all the batchs to my site and so that his modems wouldn't be
so congested.

The idea of only passing subsets of groups is not a bad thing.  I also think
that other sets of groups, such as alt, bionet, and unix-pc, are a good way to
go.  It might make administration of news on a machine more difficult, but
it seems easier than maintaining a mailing list.  The news software (and for
that matter, mail software such as smail) are pretty well thought out, IMHO,
and function better than some commercial software I have encountered.  Its
certainly well worth the cost :-).

I subscribe to uunet. My reasons for doing so were 1) so that I would have
a major mail connection, 2) access to archives, 3) save on phone costs,
and  4) to help support a news hub. If the volume of the net increases
sufficiently, then machines like uunet will proliferate.  Some might charge
for access, others might not.  News groups will proliferate as will heirarchies
of groups. This is a problem only if all systems feel that they must accept and
pass on all groups.  The overall topology of the net may change.

> and more moderation will make it more worthwhile.

I think that as time goes on and volume increases, it may be more difficult
to find moderators.  Unfortunately, moderators bear a burden beyond that of
examining and posting all articles for a group.  If readers on the net disagree
with a moderator, for whatever reasons or justifications, its the moderator
who gets flamed or insulted or worse.  I like moderated groups, the signal
to noise ratio is high.  On the other hand, I can be my own moderater, thats
why keyboards have an 'n' key :-).

Charlie Pilzer
uunet!beartrk!clp