[news.admin] Max number of articles in USENET

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (12/09/88)

What is the maximum number of articles that inews will deal with
in any given news group directory?  I've been hacking the 'rn'
source, and all article number print statments have "%5ld".  What
happens when the system goes over five digits?  Does inews
automatically renumber all of the articles at that point?

Waiting for the end of the world...

Todd Day  |  ..!apple!comdesign!ivucsb!todd  |  todd@ivucsb.UUCP
"When we make a mistake, it's called evil.  When God makes a
	mistake, it's called Nature.  Take women.  Were they
	a mistake, or did He do it to us on purpose?"  -- Daryl Van Horn

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (12/12/88)

In article <445@ivucsb.UUCP> news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:

>What is the maximum number of articles that inews will deal with
>in any given news group directory?  I've been hacking the 'rn'
>source, and all article number print statments have "%5ld".  What
>happens when the system goes over five digits?  Does inews
>automatically renumber all of the articles at that point?

No, but new articles are given number 1 again.
It's in the source of inews - I looked at it a while ago because I
was curious too.
You see, the USENET world is infinitive :-)

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######