[news.admin] Information on rec.humor.funny + how to get a feed

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/14/88)

(Information on how to get a feed of rec.humor.funny is found at the end
of this article)

There has been some misinformation on this matter, here's the scoop from
the horse's mouth:

A total of 6.5 articles appeared in the local paper, aimed at embarrassing
the University of Waterloo.  2.5 were front page, the rest were on the
front page of section B.

The University, in reaction to these articles, arranged with me to
temporarily cut off my communications to them from Friday Dec 2 to Monday,
Dec 5 when meetings could be held.

After meetings Monday and Tuesday, the President of the university asked that
I not send them material which might be in bad taste, or offensive on
discriminatory grounds.  In effect, what you might call a "G" rated version
of the newsgroup.

It is any site's right to request what they be fed, for whatever internal
reasons they might have.  As UW has been kind enough to feed me news in
the past, I am perfectly willing to honour such a request.

Reports that rec.humor.funny had been cut off stem from the fact that the
early edition of the K-W Record on Tuesday Dec 6, printed before a UW
press conference, reported in a front page headline that "Joke editor loses
access to computer."   The late edition was headlined, "Joke editor agrees
to UW demands."   The "loss of access" reported was the temporary shutdown
of my link for 3.5 days.  This shutdown was done with my agreement.

UW has not censored me, or you.  They have restricted the flow of information
to their own community.  Members in that community may view it as censorship,
but it is not such to us in the outside world.  Complaint to the newspapers
is valueless.  More noise on the net on this matter won't serve much use,
either.

I am willing to feed the complete rec.humor.funny to a small selection
of other sites.  If you wish a feed of this group, you must be willing
to call my site once or twice a day.  (Jokes are posted every 12 hours.)

Rec.humor.funny is small, the pickup times are after hours, and I have
a Telebit Trailblazer+, so the cost should be quite small.

It will not be necessary to exchange mail, although I will be willing to
do this with trusted sites.   I would like to find about 4 sites spread
around the net.  I hope for well connected sites, possibly on the internet,
in places like Silicon Valley, Bosnywash, The South, and Chicago.  I already
have Texas.   I will also feed regions of the net that get most of their
news via watmath.   There is still some potential for uunet to offer
a connection, but I haven't heard back from them.

If you want to call to pick up rec.humor.funny, and you're a well connected
site as described above, send me mail.  I'll pick a few sites and set up
links.  Indicate whether you are willing to have my other local articles
and/or mail fed over this link, as well.

If you are in a major area of the net, and did not get articles "ashes to
ashes" and "Cheap at half the price" in rec.humor.funny, then you definitely
need a feed.

I want to feed several sites because I want it to be impossible, in the future,
for a person bent on controlling this group to attempt to do so by attacking
the site I feed.
Thanks to all of you for your tremendous support.  I will make a statement
on the more controversial parts of this affair at a later date.  As you
know, I have kept otherwise silent, for various reasons.  Wait for that
statement in rec.humor.funny and news.misc.
Thanks as well to all of you who are ordering the 1988 jokebook in support
of me.  I can thank Mr. Richmond for one thing, namely selling more books
for me!  Those of you who got it can post reviews, if you desire.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Kenneth L. Bartlett) (12/16/88)

How about "alt.humor.funny" for the PG-13 jokes?

No, no, no, I'm being serious.  Would it be hard to set up
a alt.humor.funny that would post all the offensive jokes
from Brad, and let rec.humor.funny be the offense-less group?

				--Ken Bartlett

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (12/17/88)

In article <18963@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Kenneth L. Bartlett) writes:

>How about "alt.humor.funny" for the PG-13 jokes?
>
>No, no, no, I'm being serious.  Would it be hard to set up
>a alt.humor.funny that would post all the offensive jokes
>from Brad, and let rec.humor.funny be the offense-less group?

Trouble is, who defines what is offensive? Until all this brouhaha started,
I didn't think most Jewish jokes were offensive -- after all, most printed
collections of Jewish/Yiddish jokes are compiled by Jews, and just look
at the outpouring of support Brad got from Jewish Netters.

You can make a determination what is offensive and what isn't, and before
you know it, someone comes along and makes a big stink about one of the
jokes you thought harmless.

And putting it into alt.* would not help -- people like JEDR tend to think
that not only must you not offend them in their hearing (or reading in this
case), but also when they are out of earshot (or sight), and they will go
hunt for things that offend them in order to eradicate them. So if watmath does
not carry the alt.humor.funny group, that type of person would go after
whoever did.

We just need to put up with people like that -- they were put there in order
to teach us patience and humility :-) ...
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD