[news.admin] Information in .signatures

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (12/22/88)

In article <349@fantasci.UUCP> jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) writes:
>In article <968@vsi.COM> friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>>In article <1988Dec8.172749.11645@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>> Including physical address and phone number is
>>> pointless, so there's no need to clutter up the
>>> signature with them.
>>
>>Not necessarily.  I include my phone number in my .sig because
>>people *do* call me with questions, and if somebody posts a hot
>>problem and I know the answer, I call if I can.
>
> ... I think that anyone who wishes to include their address/telephone
> # in their signature should do so.  Just be prepared for some "junk"
> mail to start showing up in your USmail box...

I receive about 3 weird calls a week, ranging in location from down the
street or across town, to Finland [ Sweden? ].  Additionally, I receive
the occasional unexpected box or letter.

The rule seems to be that whatever you provide in your .signature will
be used.  When I was including my Snail-mail address I received about
one odd package a week.  At present I have a box of floppies waiting to
be loaded up and mail back out.

I would not suggest including directory information if you aren't willing
to deal with calls from Canada, or packages from Florida.  It has proven
to be a bother, such as playing telephone tag, or having to supply a
floppy mailer for someone who didn't understand what `send a return
mailer' means.

It is rewarding to feel wanted, but again, if you don't have the time or
inclination, I would suggest you don't provide information you don't
want people using.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |"Unix doesn't have bugs,