[news.admin] High Volume Calls For New Approach

ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patrick Townson) (12/07/88)

Seeing the recent messages regards the steadily increasing volume of traffic
on the net leads me to believe that before long net etiquette may need to be
rewritten to keep us all from getting buried in news.

[I say what follows because I enjoy being such a popular fellow  :) ]

The machinery obviously does not know the difference between *news* and
*signatures*.  Nor does it know the difference between new news and a quote
from the article being commented on. It has also been observed by astute
net-watchers that I don't know the difference between my ass and my elbow,
but that is something we can discuss at a later time.

May I respectfully suggest that cutting signatures to their bare bones and
*greatly* limiting the use of quotes from previous messages might reduce
traffic and associated storage requirements by one third?

I realize the problems which arise from posting without some reference to
the earlier message. Without some point of reference, it can be impossible
for the reader to know what you are replying to, or to whom. But still, it
seems ridiculous to include entire messages in new messages. Some of the
quotes on the net remind me of the situation with Jean Paul Sarte. When he
was asked to write an introduction to a very short book by Jean Genet, he
wrote a 500 page treatise to sit on the front end of a book about 150 pages
long!

My rule of thumb -- if I must quote at all -- is to write one or two
introductory sentences of my own describing what I am responding about. They
usually take the form --

  "So.and.so from site.place wrote saying blah blah, and da da. He noted
  this and also that. I agree, because  (rest of response here)...
  (or) he is wrong, because  (rest here)....."

I realize some messages require somewhat more elaborate inclusion of prior
remarks, but frankly, most do not. We are not writing legal papers which
have to be filed in quintuplicate with some government agency. I would never
include message reference numbers in quotes simply because they are
meaningless to anyone not on that machine. Inserting someone else's fully
qualified network address is rarely needed. 'joe.blow@schmoe' is usually
sufficient to refresh the memory of others who read your post. Yet these
lines with reference numbers and full address routings take up (apparently)
badly needed space on many machines. Why not try writing creative replies
incorporating as little as required of other people's text right in your
own message?

As for signatures, yes they look lovely, but they may be getting too
expensive from a machine resource point of view. I suggest still another
group on the net, which for lack of a better name I will call net.contributors.
This file can hold signatures, 'thumb-nail' biographical sketches of anyone
who wants to be listed, net addresses; postal addresses; phone numbers;
corporate affiliations; whatever. Anyone who thinks you (or I) are that
terribly, terribly witty and intelligent that they want to make contact can
review the net.contributors index. For the posting itself, just sign the
thing, like I always do, and will do now.

Patrick Townson

PS: If a postscript is necessary or desirable, keep it short and succinct,
like this one. As for those damnable disclaimers, perhaps a future revision
to readnews could issue a blanket disclaimer message each time someone 'tuned
in' on their machine. Something to the effect, 'the opinions expressed
herein for the remainder of your session in readnews are solely that of the
author of each item and are not to be construed as the opinion or position
of the proprietor of the originating machine, or the network itself.'  Then
we could eliminate the thousand or so lines of disclaimers which have to
pass over the wire each day.

Thanks for thinking about it, anyway!

Patrick

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (12/08/88)

In article <26469@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patrick Townson) writes:
[ he said cut it down, so I did ]

>Thanks for thinking about it, anyway!
>
>Patrick

There's another thing that would help a lot.  If the leaves only take groups
that people actually read then that amount of traffic is eliminated.  The
upstream sites could coordinate with the sites they feed and only carry the
groups actually read downstream and locally.

My newsfeed has awarded "the most obfuscated sys line" prize but that's what
we did here.  If someone here reads the group or someone downstream wants it
then we carry it.  There seems to be little reason or justification for all
sites to carry a full feed but a lot do.  It takes some coordination and
cooperation among the admins but it results in better utilization of the
resources.

Obviously some site in each major area has to have a full feed in order to
distribute what their neighbors want.  If we started at the leaves (ssbn is
really a leaf even though we feed a couple of sites) and made up the
"obfuscated sys line" and sent it up, then our feeds could consolidate them
and cut out the groups they don't need to carry.  That could float all the
way up to the "newsbones", recovering bandwidth and disk space all the way
up.

Elimination of articles that should be mailed is not necessarily a good
solution.  If the text is of interest to more than just the recipient then
it's more efficient to post.  Until we can apply the techniques to mail
that we use for news (compression, batching, etc.) then posting for more
than one addressee still appears to be a win.  Speaking for only this site,
I would be glad to spend the cycles to uncompress/unbatch mail and to
recompress/rebatch pass-thru traffic in order to gain the improved utilization
of the phone lines.  If you're long distance from 99.9% of your neighbors,
ssbn is, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to run a uucico for a single
mail message unless it's the only thing in the queue.

Patrick's suggestions are good, and they will certainly help if they are
followed.  I just wanted to point out that there are site-wide opportunities
to improve utilization as well.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/08/88)

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
   There's another thing that would help a lot.  If the leaves only take groups
   that people actually read then that amount of traffic is eliminated...

   My newsfeed has awarded "the most obfuscated sys line" prize...

   ...If we started at the leaves (ssbn is
   really a leaf even though we feed a couple of sites) and made up the
   "obfuscated sys line" and sent it up, then our feeds could consolidate them
   and cut out the groups they don't need to carry.

While I think the idea is very good, in practice it causes other
problems of its own.  Notable, from my perspective, is the trouble
caused by rnews spending lots of time parsing the sys file.  Our
limited resource is mostly CPU (and phone lines; 10 isn't enough for
the number of news neighbors and anon uucp'ers we've got), and I get
really nervous when I see osu-cis unbatching simultaneously from all
of att, killer, and tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, all while news is being
rebatched with compression to the leaf sites, because the CPU is being
flogged into the ground - load, as measured from a utility similar to
BSD's `uptime,' shows numbers in the vicinity of 11-14 in such cases.
Rnews takes over the system.

We actually had to request that one particular site, which had an
extremely convoluted sys line on osu-cis, to move on and take a feed
elsewhere around town; his sys line was huge, but contained exactly
the set of groups he wanted.  The tradeoff was not acceptable.  The
removal of that one site (18 others remain) was enough to leave the
system responding acceptably.  Reducing the amount of news sent didn't
increase the ability of my system to feed news.

It's more efficient for massfeed sites to have all downstream feeds be
relatively simple in terms of distribution, as opposed to worrying
about the Mbyte volume going over the lines.

--Karl

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (12/08/88)

=
=While I think the idea is very good, in practice it causes other
=problems of its own.  Notable, from my perspective, is the trouble
=caused by rnews spending lots of time parsing the sys file.  Our
=limited resource is mostly CPU (and phone lines; 10 isn't enough...

While I'm not sure whether parsing long sys file lines takes much cpu, I
do know that batching and compressing for downstream leaves does.  For this
reason we run a group batch (thanks to csg@pyramid) which allows us to batch
once for most of our leaves.  It saves a lot of cpu and spool space.  It
doesn't lend itself to selective batching, though, and it means you'll have
to add another sys file line if you want ihave/sendme.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (12/08/88)

In article <KARL.88Dec7153323@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>It's more efficient for massfeed sites to have all downstream feeds be
>relatively simple in terms of distribution, as opposed to worrying
>about the Mbyte volume going over the lines.

One last item - I have no qualms about telling a downstream site to feed
someone else.  I have yet to run into a situation where someone refused.
Twigs and leafs may be better able to handle Bill's obfuscated sys line
by virtue of seeing a smaller slice of the entire news stream.

Perhaps that is what is saving me - I don't take talk or soc ;-)
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Cat of the Week:--------------_   /|-
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |Aren't you absolutely sick and \'o.O'

In article <26469@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patrick Townson) writes:
>As for signatures, yes they look lovely, but they may be getting too
>expensive from a machine resource point of view....
>... For the posting itself, just sign the
>thing, like I always do, and will do now.
>
>Patrick Townson

Unfortunately, signatures containing network address, not just name, are
a practical necessity if you want people to be able to get mail to you.
The article-header information is *not* sufficient except in very favorable
cases.

The policy I follow is that it takes two lines to give my name, affiliation,
and network addresses.  Including physical address and phone number is
pointless, so there's no need to clutter up the signature with them.
(Actually, even affiliation is kind of marginal.)  Anything else I can cram
into those two lines is fair game. :-) :-)

At least my signatures get reactions -- I don't think there's been one in
the last six months that hasn't at least drawn mail, and some of them have
started real uproars among the narrowminded.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (12/09/88)

[...]

Karl,
	Is there a way to measure where the breakpoint is?  I have leafs
running 20 MB Unix PCs and there's no way they can take a full feed.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (12/10/88)

In article <486@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <KARL.88Dec7153323@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>=bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>=It's more efficient for massfeed sites to have all downstream feeds be
>=relatively simple in terms of distribution, as opposed to worrying
>=about the Mbyte volume going over the lines.

>	Is there a way to measure where the breakpoint is?  I have leafs
>running 20 MB Unix PCs and there's no way they can take a full feed.

I've been doing much the same for the last two years. Basically I balance
off the cost of carrying and producing extra batch files against modem time.

I've told some sites with 1200 bps modems they *couldn't* have a full feed
because we just don't have enough modem time to feed them, and instead give
them a subset (usually all news/comp/sci plus rec.humor etc).

I've told other small sites with a Telebits that they get a full feed and
can throw away what they don't need at their end. I don't want to have to
batch anymore than I have to so just give them copies of already batched
files.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (12/10/88)

Patrick Townson (ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU, article 26469@bu-cs.BU.EDU) rightly
prods our consciences when he reminds us how needlessly costly it is to
quote, verbatim, huge tracts of articles we respond to.  It's a lazy
habit.  Magazine correspondents manage quite well without it,  carrying on
long threads of discussion that may be punctuated by intervals of weeks
or months.  We only have to remember the substance of a discussion for
a few minutes or a couple of days at the worst.

A brief paraphrase,  preferably carried inside a substantive comment,  is
all that's needed.  For example:  in the first sentence of this posting I
believe I have established the context of this response in a 15 word
paraphrase (plus the formal reference, for those who want the original text).
And I've stated my feelings about it in the same sentence.  It may not be
Mark Twain,  but it's economical.

Mostly,  we use the included text because the followup function delivers it
on a plate.  I remember using "readnews" when it didn't have that built-in
convenience;  consequently,  almost never included quotes.  Perhaps cost-
conscious news administrators should modify all their news reading software
so that it doesn't give the prepacked inclusion,  or even an environment
reference to it (like $A in readnews).  If we really have to try to pull in
a quote,  we'll probably think harder and then use a short manual quote.

Now I should admit that I've got the automatically included text here while
I write this.  It's a handy memory jogger and I'm deleting each point as
I respond to it;  but I'd get by without it.

Patrick writes:
> Why not try writing creative replies
>incorporating as little as required of other people's text right in your
>own message?

You're right, I didn't really need that quote but I couldn't put it better
myself.

Charles Lambert		cl@datlog.co.uk
LONDON, UK

P.S.  Instead of feeding us second-hand text,  perhaps the news readers
should put postings through spell(1) before accepting them - there are far
too many "responces" on this network.

RWC102@PSUVM (R. W. F. Clark) (12/10/88)

In article <1988Dec8.172749.11645@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) says:

>Unfortunately, signatures containing network address, not just name, are
>a practical necessity if you want people to be able to get mail to you.
>The article-header information is *not* sufficient except in very favorable
>cases.

Actually, I can usually get r to work about a third of the time.
In about seventy-five percent of the other cases, the Path: line
will be sufficient.  It seems that only in the more unfavorable
cases is the information not sufficient.

fc

ahby@bungia.Bungia.MN.ORG (Shane P. McCarron) (12/12/88)

In article <2013@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:

A lot of very lucid stuff, but laments that he must turn down sites and/or
waste bandwidth just because he doesn't want to batch up more news,
and waste more time and spool space.

It seems like it is time to talk about multicast again.  News 2.11 has
a facility in it called multicast.  While this goes largely
unutilized, it can be used to ELIMINATE wasted spool space and CPU
time.  I have tried several times to post the software associated with
using this to comp.sources.unix, but Rich never seems to get around to
it.

The software takes batch files created with the M type keyword and
builds logical subsets of news based on subscription requirements.
These subsets are then batched and queued via a multi-queueing system
called uuast.  Other methods would also work (uux -l, for instance).
The upshot is that for every article that comes into your system and
needs to go out again, compress is run once, batch is run once, and it
uses one unit of disk space.  This is a real win for any node which
feeds news to more than one downstream site.

If there is sufficient interest in this stuff, I will try once again
to post it.  Or maybe post it to comp.sources.misc?
--
Shane P. McCarron			UUCP: ahby@bungia.mn.org
Systems Analyst				ATT: +1 612 224-9239

eric@snark.UUCP (EricS.Raymond) (12/13/88)

In article <581@bungia.bungia.mn.org>, Shane P. McCarron writes:
> It seems like it is time to talk about multicast again.  News 2.11 has
> a facility in it called multicast.  While this goes largely
> unutilized, it can be used to ELIMINATE wasted spool space and CPU
> time.  I have tried several times to post the software associated with
> using this to comp.sources.unix, but Rich never seems to get around to
> it.

Shene's multicast facility is fully supported and documented in 3.0.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (12/14/88)

In article <1988Dec8.172749.11645@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Including physical address and phone number is
> pointless, so there's no need to clutter up the
> signature with them.

Not necessarily.  I include my phone number in my .sig because
people *do* call me with questions, and if somebody posts a hot
problem and I know the answer, I call if I can.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.                                 attmail!vsi!friedl

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (12/15/88)

In article <952@dlhpedg.co.uk> cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) writes:
>Mostly,  we use the included text because the followup function delivers it
>on a plate.  I remember using "readnews" when it didn't have that built-in
>convenience;  consequently,  almost never included quotes.  Perhaps cost-
>conscious news administrators should modify all their news reading software
>so that it doesn't give the prepacked inclusion,  or even an environment

Or how about the best of both worlds.  Have the followup function
insert the included text but flag it with something other than ">".
(Except for the attribute.)  Say it gets flagged with "@>" or
something.  Then delete those lines from the text before posting.

This would mean that posters would have to manually select those lines
that they wanted to include and change the prefix string.  (For example
delete the @ at the beginning of the line.)  Yet they would still have
the full text to refer to while composing their response.

night@pawl6.pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) (12/20/88)

In article <952@dlhpedg.co.uk> cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert),
and Patrick Townson (ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU, article 26469@bu-cs.BU.EDU):
Charles Lambert takes up Patrick Townson's point about included quotes in
news articles and suggests that news administrators disable this feature.

How about letting the news software provide the solution, since it's part
of the problem.  Since the references are already included with articles,
why not give news readers an option to pull up the reference articles?

The only problem I would see with this is some sites have very short expire
times, which would make this feature useless.
--
Trip Martin
night@pawl.rpi.edu

jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) (12/20/88)

In article <968@vsi.COM> friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <1988Dec8.172749.11645@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> Including physical address and phone number is
>> pointless, so there's no need to clutter up the
>> signature with them.
>
>Not necessarily.  I include my phone number in my .sig because
>people *do* call me with questions, and if somebody posts a hot
>problem and I know the answer, I call if I can.

And I have had several instances where I have been called at home.  One instanceI had sent someone some source code that they posted they needed, and they then
called me at home to thank me (more personal than mail).  In another, a question
I had asked which needed a software solution helped me receive USmail from a
few different software vendors and even followup calls.

So I think that anyone who wishes to include their address/telephone # in their
signature should do so.  Just be prepared for some "junk" mail to start showing
up in your USmail box...

-Jo
|  Joseph E Poplawski  (Jo)                   US Mail:  1621 Jackson Street   |
|                                                       Cinnaminson NJ 08077  |
|  UUCP:..!rutgers!rochester!moscom!telesci!fantasci!jep                      |
|       ..!princeton!telesci!fantasci!jep                                     |
|       ..!pyrnj!telesci!fantasci!jep           Phone:  +1 609 786-8099 home  |

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (12/21/88)

>The only problem I would see with this is some sites have very short expire
>times, which would make this feature useless.

The other problem is that the referencing article can (and, at times,
does) arrive before the referenced article (assuming the referenced
article arrives at all).  Netnews articles are datagrams.

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (12/23/88)

In article <766@auspex.uucp>, guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> The other problem is that the referencing article can (and, at times,
> does) arrive before the referenced article (assuming the referenced
> article arrives at all).  Netnews articles are datagrams.

Too true. I am working on a solution to this problem. The first part, already
implemented in beta 3.0, stores the reference IDs of 'orphaned' child articles
in special stub entries in the history file. Thus when the parent article
arrives, the orphan IDs can be filled into a 'Back-Reference' header for
conversation-following.

The second part, not yet implemented, will enhance ihave/sendme for a true
distributed fetch capability, allowing references to a missing parent to be
optionally translated to a sendme request to some set of 'close neighbors'
presumably connected over a high-speed link. In particular, the Internet
would become a set of 'close neighbors', permitting the news volumes of
the entire Internet to be accessed as a self-organizing distributed database.

The step after that, of course, is 'HyperNews' -- full distributed hypertext...