[news.admin] Innovative solution to NEWS congestion.

dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) (12/09/88)

BASICS:
   USENET with no long distance charges.
   Receive USENET anywhere in CANADA, USA and parts of MEXICO with no long
   distance charges, using a MICROSAT-II card to receive the NET via satellite.
   Also private data networks and satellite time sharing.

COST:
   NO monthly charges, subscription fees, or access fees of any kind.
   All that is required is the physical equipment itself.
   Typically less than $2600 one time charge for card, dish, cables etc.

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT:
   PC (xBM or clone) 4.77MHZ 256K RAM (or more) (can link to mini/mainframe)
   MICROSAT-II Satellite data demodulator. (9600BPS, 8bits, No parity, 1 Stop)
   Satellite dish. from 2 ft. to 12 ft. depending on location.

COMPANY:
   Personal Space Communications (A div. of NORSAT International Inc.)
   Publically owned company, trading on the Vancouver stock exchange as
   norst.

BROADCAST SITE:
   PsBBS (Personal Space Bulletin Board Service)
   Compaq 20MHz, 5Meg RAM, 160Meg Hard Disk.
   TELEBIT Trailblazer + modems
   8 Lines (3 installed: 2 Public, 1 to the satellite uplink)

DETAILS:
   The MICROSAT-II Satellite data card plugs into a PC and delivers
   Standard RS232C data via a 9 pin D connector.
   The data can be looped back into the PC for processing or sent to
   another device (mini/mainframe/workstation) for processing.

   Personal Space Communications broadcasts USENET, FIDOnet, and other
   data on a 24 hour basis via satellite.

   Receive sites capture the data via a forward error-correcting protocol
   and recreate the original file to be processed by the appropriate
   software, ie rnews, 20/20, zoo, uudecode etc.

MISCELLANEOUS: (but important)
   NORSAT International Research Inc. is providing this service free of charge
   in order to promote sales of the MICROSAT-II product.
   For the NET it means nation-wide instantaneous reception of NEWS across
   USA and CANADA.

   News is rebroadcast AS RECEIVED (no moderator), so USENET may want to
   formalize an access ID to provide a selection of consistent quality
   material.

   The service is provided free of charge to other people as well on a
   'as available' basis, and commercially to businesses.

   Scheduled broadcast are expected to commence Dec. 15 1988  with 24 hour
   broadcasts and full-time operation scheduled for Jan-Feb 1989.

   Significant portions of the forward error correction software are flexible
   in terms of format, size, encryption (if any) to accomodate specific
   requirements. Persons interested in participating in the development of
   Receive Software should contact myself at the phone# or address listed.

SUMMARY:
   This service can have an enormous impact on the NEWS-nets and private data
   services.  The USENET community is an ideal forum for communications
   professionals.  If you are interested in adding the satellite media into
   your existing repertoire of communications solutions we will be happy to
   provide an information brochure and technical reference material upon
   request.

CONTACT:
   Norsat International Inc.          Voice    (604) 597 6200
   Mr. Dave Binette                   -----------------------
   302-12886 78th Avenue              Data     (604) 597 6297
   CANADA  V3W 8E7                      or     (604) 597 3947
                                      -----------------------
                                      Fax      (604) 597 6214

                               - end -

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (12/20/88)

In article <2010@van-bc.UUCP> dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) writes:
>CONTACT:
>   Norsat International Inc.          Voice    (604) 597 6200
>   Mr. Dave Binette                   -----------------------
>   302-12886 78th Avenue              Data     (604) 597 6297
>   CANADA  V3W 8E7                      or     (604) 597 3947

Canada -- the worlds biggest CITY!

--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (12/23/88)

In article <2316@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
>In article <2010@van-bc.UUCP> dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) writes:
>>CONTACT:
>>   Norsat International Inc.          Voice    (604) 597 6200
>>   Mr. Dave Binette                   -----------------------
>>   302-12886 78th Avenue              Data     (604) 597 6297
>>   CANADA  V3W 8E7                      or     (604) 597 3947
>
>Canada -- the worlds biggest CITY!

Well believe it or not the above address will work fine.

When the Canadian Post Office designed our postal code they used a very
small resolution. Typically down to a large building in a commercial area or
a few blocks in a residential area.

So given postal code and street address it's highly likely that the post
office can deliver it.

(Assuming of course that we are not in the middle of a work slow down, during
which time the inside postal workers try and ignore postal codes which they
claim are an attempt to reduce their staffing levels .. but that's more of
an issue for comp.risks!)

For those who don't trust the Canadain Post Office I can say that Norsat is
based in Surrey, British Columbia.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532