[news.admin] State of TMNN

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (01/04/89)

In article <NELSON.89Jan1165639@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
> Or you can snarf a copy of TMN-Netnews (aka 3.0) from sun.soe.clarkson.edu
> in pub/news-3.0.  It's up to patch level 5.  I don't know if this is the
> highest level or not.  Eric?

Actually, it's up to patch level 7 now. I'm six weeks late releasing the level
7 kits because I have been hip-deep in alligators since mid-fall. My hardware
flaked out, I've run out of money and had to spend time on paying contracts,
and I've been trying to resolve all reported bugs before issuing a complete
new distribution to the beta list.

Have patience please, people. The new level will be worth the wait. Among
other things, it has a) simpler and more powerful feed multicasting control,
b) netnews-CompuServe bidirectional gatewaying, c) fully implemented
flexgroups; and it will have fixes for all reported bugs. Also, I have a TB+
now (thanks to the nice people at Telebit) and will also be making the sources
available for anonymous ftp from linc.cis.upenn.edu.

I intend `level 8' to be public release. I wanted to do that Jan 1 1989, but
couldn't. At the rate that new-bug reports have been converging towards zero,
I should be able to release level 8 at most three weeks after the beta list
sinks its teeth into level 7.

And I've still got a sword of Damocles over my head. Anybody got a spare
workstation they want to donate?. I'm serious. The 386 box I'm typing on
could be yanked any day, and full time work on this has left me without
enough bux for a new one...:-( :-( :-(
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]