[news.admin] CNEWS big release

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (01/01/89)

Does anyone have any information on the current status of the "finalized"
release of CNEWS and/or News 3.0 ???  I haven't heard anything in a few
months.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (01/01/89)

We will be distributing the final release of C news before Usenix (Feb. 1).
--
Geoff Collyer	utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu
gets(3) must go; this is not negotiable.

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (01/01/89)

Word is that a beta release of Teenage Mutant Ninja Netnews (that's
news 3.0 for the unenlightened) will be publically available within
a couple weeks. It will be made available for anonymous FTP from a
couple of Internet sites and I'll probably make it available for
anonymous UUCP from killer.

jeff@stormy.atmos.washington.edu (Jeff L. Bowden) (01/02/89)

In article <6615@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:

>Word is that a beta release of Teenage Mutant Ninja Netnews (that's

Is this the *real* Teenage Mutant Ninja Netnews or the sugar-coated Archie
Comics version?

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (01/02/89)

TMN-netnews is at level 6, with level 7 due out soon. Level 7 is the first
version that Eric plans to distribute to half the known universe.

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (01/04/89)

In article <1989Jan1.050813.17847@utstat.uucp> geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
>We will be distributing the final release of C news before Usenix (Feb. 1).

How will it be distributed?

--
William Swan	..!tikal.Teltone.COM!sigma!bill

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (01/05/89)

Assuming that there are no problems with doing so, we will be
distributing C news via comp.sources.unix.
--

night@pawl3.pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) (01/06/89)

In article <NELSON.89Jan1165639@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Or you can snarf a copy of TMN-Netnews (aka 3.0) from sun.soe.clarkson.edu
>in pub/news-3.0.  It's up to patch level 5.  I don't know if this is the
>highest level or not.  Eric?

I did, along with the first five patches.  I tried installing the patches,
and it broke down on the third set (The second set also caused quite a
few complaints).  Anyhow, is there a copy with the patches already installed?
And has anyone else had problems installing the patches or is it just me?
Any help would be appreciated.
--
Trip Martin
night@pawl.rpi.edu

Patch set six for news-3.0 (aka TMN NetNews) is now on
sun.soe.clarkson.edu in pub/news-3.0, called Patchkit6.Z, courtesy of
James Van Artsdalen.  This may help you.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
"I saved the whales!" - Rebecca L. Nelson, 3.5 years old, on receiving her

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (01/06/89)

In article <1989Jan4.200703.9324@utstat.uucp>, geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) writes:
> Assuming that there are no problems with doing so, we will be
> distributing C news via comp.sources.unix.

That would be fine except that it may be April or May before it even hits
the front of comp.sources.unix's queue.  I know of one person who submitted
a package recently and is expecting it to take several months (yuck!).

Based on the backlog of stuff in Rick's queue, I strongly suggest you
provide additional FTP *AND* anon uucp distribution!

Mark.