[news.admin] How about a virus?

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (12/31/88)

Whats an unmodifed uucp? Do you meant everyone has to
run the original 7th Edition uucp? Everything since then has been modified.

Mail me uunet's L.sys file and impress me. It's harder than you think.

---rick

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (12/31/88)

In article <44470@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:

>Mail me uunet's L.sys file and impress me. It's harder than you think.

Hm, I thought uunet was running HDB. Most HDB sites don't have an L.sys file!

That would make it *very* easy  :-)

	mail -s "L.sys file" rick@seismo.CSS.GOV < /dev/null

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (01/01/89)

whoever told you that honey danber has more bugs than v7 uucp is misinformed.

if you know of any bugs in honey danber, i'd appreciate it if you'd send me
mail with details.  thanks.

	peter

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (01/01/89)

Please spare me your whining. UUNET does not run HDB. It runs one of
those bug ridden V7 derivatives. In fact that probably makes it HARDER
for you because all those clever tricks you have saved up probably won't
work here.

As for shio(), I presume you want to do something tricky with what you
expect to be a popen(). Sorry, I fixed that about 3 years ago. It's real
hard to fake out the execv() of /bin/rmail.

Oh, you're going to fake out the rmail? Sorry, rmail does a direct
execv() of sendmail. Oh, you're going to spoof sendmail?  Sorry, rmail
checks the arguments it passes to sendmail... (Do we see a trend
forming?)

You see, it's not a black and white, HDB or "shit" world we're living
in.  It's even worse. Honeyman and I and others are conspiring. We're
pretty damned devious ourselves. We've fixed the easy things years ago.
We've even fixed the hard ones. There are probably other bugs out there
(only a fool would deny it), but like I said, it's no where near as
easy as you think it is.

Also, don't confuse the version of HDB that ATT ships with what
Honeyman is running. Those HDB bugs you found he probably fixed years
ago. AND, even worse, he told ME about them, so I fixed them in my
version. (The fact that ATT doesn't seem to want his fixes is ATT's
problem [and ATT's customers...])

Oh yeah, one more thing: Why are you assuming that uuxqt is running as
the same uid as uucico? Hmmm???? It doesn't need to.  And if it isn't
running as the same uid as uucico, then it doesn't have read permission
on L.sys does it? Gee. It's getting harder all the time...

The reason I'm making a point about all this is that I don't want to
lose any uunet customers because they don't want to connect to the
"insecure" system that you are describing. I had a hell of a time
convincing sites that the Internet virus wasn't going to propagate to
their sites via uucp. I don't want them to start worrying all over
again.

---rick

chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca (01/04/89)

In article <44471@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>You see, it's not a black and white, HDB or "shit" world we're living
>in.  It's even worse. Honeyman and I and others are conspiring. We're
>pretty damned devious ourselves. We've fixed the easy things years ago.
>We've even fixed the hard ones.
>
>Also, don't confuse the version of HDB that ATT ships with what
>Honeyman is running. Those HDB bugs you found he probably fixed years
>ago. AND, even worse, he told ME about them, so I fixed them in my
>version. (The fact that ATT doesn't seem to want his fixes is ATT's
>problem [and ATT's customers...])

So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs? In
particular, those of us without source licenses and without common systems
(i.e. no binaries, thank you).

It's all very well to say that uunet is secure, but what about all of uunet's
neighbors?

btw, as an aside, I claim it is impossible to break into my UUCP system; it
doesn't run login, and only allows two hardwired commands (rmail and
cunbatch...).  The local mailer is equivalent to cat(1). The joys of being a
backwater system...

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (01/04/89)

chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
>So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?

you BUY it.

	peter

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (01/05/89)

In article <856@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
>>So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?
>
>you BUY it.

This is not a flame, but out of interest, where can I buy a copy of HDB?

Don't need source, just a binary, with all of the latest fixes, either
your's or Ricks would do.

It would also be nice if it wasn't priced more than the system I'm going to
run it on (which is why we don't use ksh from the toolchest).

Seems to me that there's a business opportunity here for someone. Get a
valid license to distribute HDB, get fixes from Peter and Rick and
distribute for Sun OS, SCO Xenix, System V/386, etc.

If the vendors don't want to keep uptodate and there is a need to keep
these systems secure then there is definitely an opportunity to make a buck.
(Actually some vendors are quite interested, they just can't afford to
mobilize quickly to fix security problems in a short time frame.)

Of course it would be too much to ask that AT&T offer the source to someone
like UUNET so that it could be done on a non-profit basis (or could the BSD
version be separated out and made non AT&T Rick?).

Would be a nice gesture though. UUNET could sell and support it and then
perhaps Usenet UUCP links would be a little safer. Makes a nice counterpart to
the services that they are already offerring.

They are already (apparently) doing quite a lot of work to keep their copy
of UUCP very secure. It wouldn't be too hard to get it ported to various
other machines at very low cost (I'm sure there's quite a few people who
would offer their consulting time at a nominal rate to port it to their
system for UUNET). Distribution is easy, just do it via uucp. They already
have a billing sytem.

And then we wouldn't have to waste our time complaining at each other because
we think that we've found bug's that will let bad people break in and now we're
worried because we can't fix them because we can't afford to buy the source,
and our vendor couldn't care less, and if he does he might get around to
fixing it in six months, and it will be in the next release after that,
which will be after he QA's it, and gets the manuals ready, say another six
months.....

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (01/05/89)

In article <856@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
>>So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?
>
>you BUY it.
>
>	peter

Apologies if I'm the only one with this question, I would have emailed
but I felt reasonably sure that I'm not alone.  I was under the impression
that HDB was only available from licensed AT&T vendors and AT&T.  Does
Rick Adams' and Peter's remarks mean that there is a bug-fixed version
available from some other source?  If so, I'd sure like to hear about it.

I would have no objection to buying a version that had some holes stopped
up and I would hope that it would also have some of the extensions that
have been added after the original release (e.g. alternate Systems/Dialers,
\M and \m capability in dial scripts, etc.).  How would one go about
finding out whether the HDB they were buying indeed had all of the fixes
that Peter and Rick have identified/fixed?
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (01/05/89)

In article <856@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
>>So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?
>
>you BUY it.
>
>	peter

I did buy it.  However, the vendor still has the bugs in it.  Why should
I have to buy it two times?

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer				"The time has come," the Walrus said...
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (01/06/89)

In article <856@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
-chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
->So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?
-
-you BUY it.
-
-	peter

	Where!?!

--
Eric Schnoebelen
egsner!eric@texbell.uucp			...!texbell!egsner!eric

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/06/89)

In article <856@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
>>So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?
>
>you BUY it.

	Yeah? From who?

>	peter

Grunt,
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (01/10/89)

In article <856@mailrus.cc.umich.edu>, honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) writes:
>chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca asks:
>>So, how do we poor slobs get versions of the software *without* bugs?
>you BUY it.

Ha.  You BUY another release of software with BRAND NEW bugs and a warranty
that claims that, at best, you have purchased another bag of rust-covered
plastic which might or might not have varying domains of magnetization,
returnable in 90 days if and only if the plastic isn't black.

The attitude of "You wanted it to WORK?  That costs EXTRA!" is probably the
second-place security hole after simple carelessness.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

Go be a `traves wasswort.		- Doug Gwyn