[news.admin] History file for NetNews

peter@key.COM (Peter Sivo) (01/17/89)

Curious question....

I'm running NetNews on a disk that is very tight on space, so of
course I run 'expire' to keep the load down as much as possible.

I can see that my file, /usr/lib/news/history, is hovering around
1/2MB and holding, but what about /usr/lib/news/history.pag??

This file is over 2MB and growing.  Can I clear it out?  Does it
every get cleared out?  Whats up with this file??

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Sivo, Key Computer Laboratories

UUCP: ...pacbell!key!peter
Domain: peter@key.com

news@jclyde.cactus.org (News administration) (01/19/89)

In article <308@key.COM> peter@key.COM () writes:

>This file is over 2MB and growing.  Can I clear it out?  Does it
>every get cleared out?  Whats up with this file??
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

I remove all the history files twice a month and rebuild the history file
using:

expire -r -I -e 999 -E 999 -v0

It might not be necessary to remove the files, as I just looked at my
maintenance script and I don't remove the history files.  Hope this helps.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  BS Petroleum Engineering  UT '88
1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752