[news.admin] r.h.f extortion

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (02/08/89)

In article <2724@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> So if you want to hold a vote on the matter, then either you lose because
> you don't get 100 more removal votes than keep votes (that was the criterion
> other people established during the last such debate.) or you lose because
> rec.humor.funny leaves usenet.   Maybe you don't think of that as losing, but
> if you don't, then it will be just as well -- if people don't think the loss
> of RHF would be a loss to usenet, then what am I doing here?

This is exactly the attitude I pointed out in a previous article on this
topic.  There is no need to remove rec.humor.funny.  The group is not having
delusions of grandeur nor emotional or legal problems.  It is the moderator
that seems to be suffering from those afflictions, and who seems to be using
his position to extort agreements from the USENET community.

We should not put up with attempted extortion.  For one thing, it is illegal.
For another, it is reprehensible.  Brad's time as moderator of r.h.f is
over.  Let's find a person to take over the job -- one that can do as good
a job at it as Brad once was able to do.

--
Greg Paris <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,garp,gatech,necntc,spdcc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp