[news.admin] A Question of Liability was Re: A moderator's liability

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (02/11/89)

In article <2559@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>My opinion is that every moderator on Usenet runs an risk of being sued
>>for anything posted in his group.
>As a moderator [...] If someone were to use the advice posted to, say,
>comp.sys.sun, and as a result lose vast amounts of data (because the advice
>was wrong, misleading or not appropriate for his environment), could that
>person sue [...] the moderator [...] and have a good chance of winning?
>Does he have a valid claim in saying that I was negligent by not verifying
>the message's correctness?

This question clicked on one that I had been vaguely wondering about for a
couple days. I think the two are (somewhat) related, so, I put it forward
for the misc.legal beagles:

This is the second question:

>Is the author|publisher|distributer of a book giving the how to of an
>illegal procedure lible if somebody actually tries it and gets hurt? What
>if he says `for information only, DONT DO IT', like this guy?
>
>]The following information is from the book _Kitchen Improvised Plastic
>]Explosives_ ...(the procedure was not given - dont bother looking ;-)
>]KIDS: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.  ... It looks like a good way to
>]kill yourself (and anyone else in the same building). ...
>
>I havent seen the book; I dont know whether its title is legit, or if it
>needs special processes or chemicals but uses `coffeecup' for `beaker' to
>make it a `kitchen-proccess.' (If that, then maybe its false advertising
>but who is going to say they tried an illegal procedure just to find out
>it didnt work and sue him?)

In the first case, somebody makes a (legal) procedure available, not as
direct advice to the end user. Is a disclaimer sufficient protection against
a negligence suit? Is it necessary?

In the second case, somebody makes an illegal procedure available. Is a
disclaimer here sufficient protection against a suit? Is it necessary?
Is it necessary to state that the process is illegal if the book does not
advise the reader to do it? (When I think of the books on moon-ligh..I mean
ethanol fuel production..I've read :-)

--
William Swan	..!tikal.Teltone.COM!sigma!bill