[news.admin] uucp via IP ?

gdelong@cvman.UUCP (Gary Delong) (02/10/89)

How does one establish a uucp connection via an existing network
connection such as TCP/IP where rlogin is available.

I can see how the L.sys file would handle it from the point of waiting
for 'login:' on, but how do you get uucp to 'rlogin sysname'?

I'm sure I saw something posted here a few months ago, but I didn't
need the information then.  8-)

E-mail is best because I have some conectivity problems.
--
  _____
 /  \    /   Gary A. Delong, N1BIP	    gdelong@cvman.prime.com
 \____\/     Prime Computer, Inc.	    (603) 622-1260 x 261

ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (02/11/89)

In article <522@cvman.UUCP> gdelong@cvman.UUCP (Gary Delong) writes:
>How does one establish a uucp connection via an existing network
>connection such as TCP/IP where rlogin is available.
>...[deleted]

Could any one post the answer or send me a copy of anwer?

Thanks
                                   *
USMAIL:   Guangliang He            *   INTERNET: ghe@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
          Department of Physics    *
          Oregon State University  *
          Corvallis, OR 97331      *   PHONE:    (503) 754-4631
                                   *

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/15/89)

In article <522@cvman.UUCP> gdelong@cvman.UUCP (Gary Delong) writes:
| How does one establish a uucp connection via an existing network
| connection such as TCP/IP where rlogin is available.

  This is not really an answer, but information on how one solution
works. Excelan provides a device (T16) which has the following
characteristic... when you open it the first line sent to it is used as
a system name and a telnet circuit established. Your script would start
with something like:
	"" machine gin:--gin uucpname ord: password

  Needless to say I use this for other things than just uucp.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (02/15/89)

In article <13136@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <522@cvman.UUCP> gdelong@cvman.UUCP (Gary Delong) writes:
>| How does one establish a uucp connection via an existing network
>| connection such as TCP/IP where rlogin is available.
>
>  This is not really an answer, but information on how one solution
>works. Excelan provides a device (T16) which has the following
>characteristic... when you open it the first line sent to it is used as
>a system name and a telnet circuit established. Your script would start
>with something like:
>	"" machine gin:--gin uucpname ord: password

More to it than that; there is a daemon routine, /net/ud, which hangs on that
pty (last logical port).  It catches the machine name passed at the start and
establishes the connection to the other end's rlogind.

If you own both sides of the connection, you could write a simple daemon routine
of your own and bypass the login service altogether.  The daemon opens a socket
for listen at a 'well-known' port number and waits for a connection request.
On the accept(), it forks; the parent closes its connection and loops back for the
next request, the child dup's the socket onto stdin/out/err then exec's uucico.

						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming Tools Group
UUCP: {att, rutgers}!mtune!rkh			DDD: (201)957-6034
Internet:   rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T Bell Labs, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748
Quote: If Basic is for backward children, and Pascal for naughty
  schoolboys, then C is the language for consenting adults - Brian Kernighan

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (02/17/89)

The 4.3 BSD uucp contains code (standard) to connect to a uucp daemon
on remote sites via a TCP link listening on port 540.  The
documentation that comes with the code describes how to set it up.
It works great.

However, if you want the uucp to transfer news, let me suggest you
consider NNTP.  Transfering files?  Use ftp.  Mail?  Use an SMTP
based mailer.  The uucp packet scheme plus handshakes works but
probably isn't the most efficient use of your bandwidth....

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,