[news.admin] Protection Against Abuse of Messages

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (02/07/89)

Actually, I *sort of* agree with Brad's fears, if not his complete logic.
I don't think anyone involved with Usenet; either as moderator, sysadmin
of some site, backbone site, etc would set out to deliberatly steal or
mis-use the stuff posted here.

   *But I wouldn't trust a couple of the commercial networks at all*

And networks like Compuserve, Western Union's FYI, Source, and others
which get their $5-7 per hour from users reading data bases -- have for
some time been hostile toward Fidonet and Usenet for 'stealing' users
from them; people who have wised up to the fact that you don't have to
spend $6 an hour to have a good time with your terminal and modem.

If they came after [Telecom Digest] -- and I've been told Compuserve
would like to have it -- I know it would get me almighty P.O.'ed to do the
work every night and have them charge their bozos $6 per hour to read it.

Perhaps Brad's fears could be allayed by the establishment of a not-for-
profit corporation called the Usenet Cooperative Trust, Inc. or some
similar name. Have someone like Gene Spafford and one or two other
people as officers of the corporation and trustees.

*Let the corporation and/or the trustees of the Trust hold a compilation
copyright on the entire output each day.* Modify the news software so
that each time a user goes 'rn', as part of the message identifying which
groups have unread messages, a message would play out saying that the
entire contents were compile-copyrighted by the Usenet Cooperative Trust;
that the data herein is for use by persons participating in Usenet and
may not be exported without the consent of the trustees of the Trust.

People would continue doing pretty much as they do now, but at least such
a copyright would prevent the worst of the abuses that Brad fears. It
would prevent wholesale lifting of material by the commercial services;
and it would recognize the work people like Templeton, Spafford and others
do to keep things running smoothly. If some commercial organization or
commercial site re-selling Usenet wanted to participate, then they could
apply to the Trustees, and the matter be brought to everyone here for a
discussion and vote. Everyone would know when something like this
occurred, and be permitted to decide yea or nay.
--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / US Mail: 60690-1570 (personal zip code)

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (02/08/89)

In article <7651@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>If they came after [Telecom Digest] -- and I've been told Compuserve
>would like to have it -- I know it would get me almighty P.O.'ed to do the
>work every night and have them charge their bozos $6 per hour to read it.

And what Brad is doing right now will help to prevent that. Remember he is
setting a precedent which will help to protect Telecom Digest until such
time as you actively renounce the compilation copyright.

Your idea for a Usenet wide community trust is an interesting one, but is it
really needed. What is wrong with the moderators protecting their own turf
so to speak simply by holding the compilation copyright. Compuserve for one
is quite unlikely to do anything as long as you mention those words. They
would be afraid to jeopradize their own rights.

This also holds for the recent comp.mail.maps problem (someone selling the
maps). The moderator just has to add a small header asserting a compilation
copyright. Then go after anyone abusing the information in the manner
alleged in some recent postings (if he is so inclined).

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (02/09/89)

In article <2213@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:
>Your idea for a Usenet wide community trust is an interesting one, but is it
>really needed. What is wrong with the moderators protecting their own turf
>so to speak simply by holding the compilation copyright. Compuserve for one
>is quite unlikely to do anything as long as you mention those words. They
>would be afraid to jeopradize their own rights.

Where the problem would come up is with things like unmoderated groups and
messages of any kind where backbones or sysadmins (involved with news at
their site) are concerned.

Every moderator doing his/her own thing would lead to confusion. And who
would protect the unmoderated groups? No, we are all in this together and
I think if there is to be some formal protection for the community then
it should be net/system-wide.

What happens with messages cross posted to moderated and unmoderated groups?
Who controls it then?

I still suggest that if this is the way to go, then there should be one or
two, perhaps three or four persons widely respected by everyone who function
as the nominal copyright holders for the entire output. I would sheild
them from personal attacks with corporate status, assuming they themselves
did not act wilfully against the net.

I would compile-copyright the whole thing as of 12:01 AM each day and place
the copyright in the hands of the trustees of the Trust. I would modify
the software to plainly state that everything herein is compile-copyrighted,
and may be used freely, with no further permission required by members of
Usenet for their own purposes, etc.

--

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (02/10/89)

In article <7665@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>In article <2213@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:

>Where the problem would come up is with things like unmoderated groups and
>messages of any kind where backbones or sysadmins (involved with news at
>their site) are concerned.

Of course this also leads to another question - would it be such a bad thing
if (for example) Compuserve gatewayed comp.all into a new sig? (I'll
volunteer to be the sig moderator :-)

I seem to remember the last time I was reading mac related stuff that
someone was gatewaying stuff into and out of either Delphi or Genie.

If it is a bad thing, why? Other than perhaps increasing the volume (oh my
god the end of the net is near), why is the fact that they charge for access
make a large difference. Portal charges, many small sites charge something
to help pay phone bills etc. Of course Compuserve does make a profit, but
does that really mean that their customers shouldn't have access to UseNet
materials?

It might be interesting to follow up on patrick's suggestion. Have it done
via Usenix or UUNET. They could then act as the organizer for the UseNet sig
on Compuservce. Remember that the Compuserve actually pays a percentage to
the organizer of the group. This could be used to subsidize UUNET's
operations and lower the access costs for people on this side.

Along the same lines, I've thought for a while it would be interesting to
publish a monthly (bi-weekly?) newspaper containing the "Best of UseNet!".
Cull the flames etc out, print related articles together, sell some
advertising and propagate by paid subscriptions.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (02/11/89)

> And networks like Compuserve, Western Union's FYI, Source, and others
> which get their $5-7 per hour from users reading data bases -- have for
> some time been hostile toward Fidonet and Usenet for 'stealing' users
> from them; people who have wised up to the fact that you don't have to
> spend $6 an hour to have a good time with your terminal and modem.

I don't really understand why Usenet people would object to something
being carried on, say, Compuserve, just because someone other than makes
money from it.  The point of posting something to the net is to achieve
wide distribution for it.  I say, the more distribution the better,
provided of course that that distribution is an appropriate one for
the individual message.

If Compuserve can make money by selling something which is available for
free elsewhere -- well, so ?  Perhaps what they're really selling is
something else -- a *convenient form of access* to the material.  Is there
some objection to that?

You can say right in your article, as I'm doing here, that if the reader
doesn't like paying Compuserve fees to read it, there are other places
where it's available.  The informed reader may choose to seek out other
places.  If they don't, then Compuserve must be adding value to it in
some way, and therefore earning their profit *from that*.

If you're now saying "but what about intellectual property" -- I'm not
opposed to control of one's intellectual property, nor am I saying that
net postings or compilations are not intellectual property.  Contrariwise.
But I am saying that posting something *to Usenet* carries certain
implications.  As it says the new users' postings, "Think about where
your article is going."  If you post it, you asked for distribution.

Mark Brader, Toronto	"Those who mourn for 'USENET like it was' should
utzoo!sq!msb		 remember the original design estimates of maximum
msb@sq.com 		 traffic volume: 2 articles/day" -- Steven Bellovin

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (02/12/89)

In article <1989Feb10.210824.1579@sq.uucp> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>> And networks like Compuserve, Western Union's FYI, Source, and others
>> which get their $5-7 per hour from users reading data bases -- have for
>> some time been hostile toward Fidonet and Usenet for 'stealing' users
>> from them; people who have wised up to the fact that you don't have to
>> spend $6 an hour to have a good time with your terminal and modem.
>
>I don't really understand why Usenet people would object to something
>being carried on, say, Compuserve, just because someone other than makes
>money from it.  The point of posting something to the net is to achieve
>wide distribution for it.  I say, the more distribution the better,
>provided of course that that distribution is an appropriate one for
>the individual message.

If we all made money from it, fine. If some of us made money because of
good business judgment in the matter, while others of us lost money because
of poor business judgment, then fine also. If we intended to make money from
Usenet and we all lost money because of our business decisions, then again,
that's fine with me.

But the point is, Usenet participants, ranging from moderators of groups
to system administrators to Universities which supply phone lines and
computers HAD NO INTENTION OF MAKING MONEY (or losing it, for that matter).
The idea was that Usenet was to be a cooperative exchange of messages in
a spirit of goodwill between various computer sites. I give my time to
moderate a group with the understanding that Boston University will give
the resources I need to compile/originate it each day. We both give these
things with the understanding that people at Harvard, Purdue, Company X,
and Site Z will not only make it available at no cost to their users but
will in many instances pass it along to other sites without sending me a
phone bill with a demand for payment in the process.

I don't get paid for moderating; Boston U does not get compensated for the
computer resources, and Randy Suess at Chinet does not get paid for the
dozen phone lines he has installed at his site.

Now in the example cited, here comes Compuserve; willing to take all it
can get for free and re-sell the cooperative efforts of others for $6 per
hour. There is something to be said about the importance of distributing
information; yes, we do want our messages to be widely disseminated, and
our information FREELY available to others.

We overlook/ignore modest user fees of the $10 per month Portal type or
the $50 per year (frequently written off) Chinet type. In the case of
Chinet, the $50 covers Randy's own out-of-pocket expenses on phone lines,
etc, and not much more. But I do not think we can afford to overlook the
commercial resale of our cooperative, goodwill efforts on Usenet. I do
not think we can overlook the fact that Compuserve also compile-copyrights
the entire load every day. Just try downloading huge amounts of data from
Compuserve and displaying it elsewhere!

Ask them sometime: would CIS make an exception for Usenet, if they took it
for themselves? Would they exclude it from their copyright claims and permit
it to be re-displayed elsewhere? I doubt it. If anything, I fully suspect
that if CIS did start taking Usenet stuff, it would only be a matter of
time until *their attornies* started making threatening noises at us, and
making all sorts of condescending remarks.

I'd have to say stay clear of feeding commercial networks unless and until
we, meaning the Usenet community, have full control of the output, and the
terms are to our liking. *Their* reward is in the money they hustle from
their bozo users. *Our* reward is in seeing the results of our collective
efforts each day. Unless we write the terms, then there should be no terms.

--

mhyman@hsfmsh.UUCP (Marco S. Hyman) (02/12/89)

In article <2217@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:
>Along the same lines, I've thought for a while it would be interesting to
>publish a monthly (bi-weekly?) newspaper containing the "Best of UseNet!".
>Cull the flames etc out, print related articles together, sell some
>advertising and propagate by paid subscriptions.

Others have also thought it would be interesting.
In the new ``C++ report'' (I think that's the name, the first issues was
distributed with the current issue of the Journal of Object Oriented
Programming) there will be a column based upon the best of comp.lang.C++.
This is from memory -- the report is at home.

--marc
--
------
Marco S. Hyman

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/12/89)

There's nothing inherently wrong with usenet messages being carried on
services like CompuServe, so long as the usenet posters wish it.

Asserting our rights, including moderator's compilation copyrights, assures
that if it is done, it will be done with the cooperation of the usenet
people involved.

In particular, without compilation copyrights of moderated groups on usenet,
places like CIS could feed in the moderated groups, throw in their own input
and claim their *own* compilation copyright on the result.

In particular, there would be no control over whether any information ever
flowed back from the gateway.  With protection, usenet people can insist
on a two way link if we want, with the good stuff going both ways.

Without it, you can be sure the flow would only be one way.

I have nothing against this large other nets joining up with usenet, and in
fact I think it could be a good thing, I just feel that it should be a
cooperative effort, under netter control as well as theirs.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/12/89)

In article <7687@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>We overlook/ignore modest user fees of the $10 per month Portal type or
>the $50 per year (frequently written off) Chinet type. In the case of

How about the guy in _Computer Languages_ who has a full page add
selling stuff from comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibmpc for
anywhere between $60 and $250 per pop.

--
     ``I've re-written UNIX from, scratch.  God told me to''  - Ed Carp
decwrl!gryphon!richard        killer!gryphon!richard       elroy!gryphon!richard

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (02/13/89)

In article <11954@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>How about the guy in _Computer Languages_ who has a full page add
>selling stuff from comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibmpc for
>anywhere between $60 and $250 per pop.

That is a bit much. Are you certain of this? I've not seen the ads, or
the finished product myself. But it would seem to me the contributors to
those two groups should make some inquiries of the chap. Either that, or
use the old guerilla warfare tactic of *deliberatly polluting the group
with wrong information, just to wreck his 'product'.* Under this approach,
the users either refuse to post to the group at all, or deliberatly
post nonsensical -- but on the surface to an unsophisticated reader --
'serious' replies. Then the chap winds up publishing a bunch on lies unless
he himself is sophisticated enough on the subject matter to see what the
authors of the trash are doing to him. And let's face it, if he knew the
subject matter that well, he would not have to rip off their messages
wholesale. To at least be courteous he would re-write them or something.

Seriously, if someone IS doing this, how about some specifics? Let the
group here know who, when, where, etc.

--

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (02/13/89)

In article <11954@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
: How about the guy in _Computer Languages_ who has a full page add
: selling stuff from comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibmpc for
: anywhere between $60 and $250 per pop.

I have the February issue in my hands and there is no such ad.

Name names or shut up.

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

linimon@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Mark Linimon) (02/13/89)

Patrick A. Townson writes:
> I'd have to say stay clear of feeding commercial networks unless and until
> we, meaning the Usenet community, have full control of the output, and the
> terms are to our liking.

I'd have to say stay clear of feeding commercial networks, PERIOD.  I've
already had to fend off inquiries from more than one headhunter who wants to
tie in their own bulletin board networks; people who (believe me) have not the
_least_ interest in the Spirit of Usenet.  We already cross
the "commerical" line, I believe, in misc.jobs.offered (headhunters) and
various replies of the form "my firm can do that" all too often.  I'd like
to see less of that, not more.  With interconnects to commercial networks
I can't see how there could be less of it.

Mark Linimon
killer!nominil!linimon
disclaimer: speaking just for myself (you think I work at this? :-)

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/14/89)

In article <378@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <11954@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>: How about the guy in _Computer Languages_ who has a full page add
>: selling stuff from comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibmpc for
>: anywhere between $60 and $250 per pop.
>
>I have the February issue in my hands and there is no such ad.

So I goofed. It's not _Computer Languages_, it's _Computer Language_.

I had no idea there was another magazine with such a close name.

Anyway, it's the Februrary issue, Vol. 6 Nr. 2

I xeroxed the page and brought it here, but it doesnt have a
dopey page number.  It's a full page ad, from the _Austin Code Works_
(acw!info@uunet.uu.net) for a WHOLE HEAP of source code, from minix
to PC curses to Hershey fonts.

>Name names or shut up.

Ok, ok: Fred, Barney and Pebbles. Sheesh.

--
          "Hay hay, mye mye... rock an roll wil nevurr dye..."
richard@gryphon.COM                           gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

cuccia@yak.sybase.com (Nick Cuccia) (02/16/89)

In article <378@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <11954@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>: [Stuff about firm in Texas selling comp.sources.* code]
>I have the February issue in my hands and there is no such ad.
>Name names or shut up.

I believe that Richard is referring to the Austin Code Works; much of the
code that they sell appears to have either been culled off of the net (either
from comp.sources.* or from the GNU collection) or from published books
(Ted Biggerstaff's code from his book of PC utilities).

>Bill
>{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill

--Nick
 Nick Cuccia			 System Admin/Postmaster, Sybase, Incorporated
 sybase!cuccia@sun.com                 6475 Christie Av.  Emeryville, CA 94608
 {sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!cuccia                   +1 415 596-3500

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (02/16/89)

In article <1989Feb10.210824.1579@sq.uucp> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
>If Compuserve can make money by selling something which is available for
>free elsewhere -- well, so ?  Perhaps what they're really selling is
>something else -- a *convenient form of access* to the material.  Is there
>some objection to that?

This argument seems to make sense to me.  After all, Unix is not
exactly an "uninformed-user-friendly" environment.  I think tose
of us who take to computers like ducks to water have a tendacy to
forget that; most people still need an environment that
spoon-feeds the "how to" to them, along with the warm fuzzies that
come with graphic enhancements.  The average non-hacker is
basically approaching the computer as a sophisticated video-game;
what they're paying for is the "nice upholstry" and the
convenient form of access.

>You can say right in your article, as I'm doing here, that if the reader
>doesn't like paying Compuserve fees to read it, there are other places
>where it's available.  The informed reader may choose to seek out other
>places.  If they don't, then Compuserve must be adding value to it in
>some way, and therefore earning their profit *from that*.

Having tried the CompuServe (tm) thing myself
out of morbid curiosity, I think that most of what they do can be
done much better in terms of informational return per minute or $
in other ways, with or without computer (more often the latter).
They seem to be a "Readers Digest" of the BBS world.  If *I* were
them, I certainly would argue that I was chargeing for the
"convenient access".

BTW, don't we get e-mail access to their users?  (Assuming, of
course, we know their address.)  I know that
ATTmail users can send e-mail to us through registered gates
(not that I've found any) but not vice-versa.

--Mark Gresham
	...gatech!{dscatl!}artsnet!mgresham
ARTSNET

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (02/17/89)

> Now in the example cited, here comes Compuserve; willing to take all it
> can get for free and re-sell the cooperative efforts of others for $6 per
> hour. There is something to be said about the importance of distributing
> information; yes, we do want our messages to be widely disseminated, and
> our information FREELY available to others.

But the people you're complaining about are not restricting the availability
of the information by the "free" channels that you want.  They are adding an
additional channel, which people can choose to pay them for if they wish.
I still do not see how anyone can object to that.

If you wish to block transmission of material that you composed or compiled,
then the Larry Wall Model Copyright Notice seems* sufficient.  Of course,
if you restrict transmission of something by notice, and then proceed to
put it into a distribution channel yourself, it's understood that you are
intending distribution to wherever that channel goes and no further.

The rec.humor.funny problem arose because Brad appeared to be asking for
the preexisting distribution channel that he was using to be modified to
match the distribution that he wanted.  This, of course, is another story.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com
	"The conversation never became heated, which would have been difficult
	 in any argument where there is a built-in cooling-down period between
	 any remark and its answer."		-- Hal Clement, STAR LIGHT

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (02/18/89)

In article <7651@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>Perhaps Brad's fears could be allayed by the establishment of a not-for-
>profit corporation called the Usenet Cooperative Trust, Inc. or some
>similar name. Have someone like Gene Spafford and one or two other
>people as officers of the corporation and trustees.

Once such a legal entity has been created, it can be sued.

Just imagine what would have happened if [JEDR, MES, *] could have sued "the
net".  They would have wond a rather nice bounty from the courts.  As the
net stands, it is logistically impossible to sue.

Brad has turned into a net.bully.  It's hard to believe that this is the
same guy who I submitted a joke (albeit, not a very good one) to a year or
so ago.  I guess the Brad-Bashing has gotten to him.

Glen Overby     <ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
                uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby
                ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)