[news.admin] Possible copyright notice?

jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Jamie Andrews) (02/15/89)

     I'd like to start putting a copyright notice on my articles,
but I don't know what all the pitfalls are.  Can someone foresee
any problems with the following idea?

Copyright: Copyright (c) 1989 by James Harold Andrews; permission
  is given to redistribute either on a non-profit basis, or where
  right of reply is not selectively denied, or where specific
  permission is granted.

     What I want to say is "You can make money off redistributing
this; you can also prevent any discussion of my opinions/words in
your forum; but you can't do both."  I realise that this would
prevent people from redistributing my messages on moderated
newsgroups for profit -- so be it.

     I guess any copyright notice is going to have problems, and
I'm not arguing for this over some other one.  I'm just asking if
anyone sees any major definitional/legal problems with it, so I
can revise it if it does.

--Jamie.
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"*Three* rocks?"

>     I'd like to start putting a copyright notice on my articles,
>but I don't know what all the pitfalls are.  Can someone foresee
>any problems with the following idea?

>Copyright: Copyright (c) 1989 by James Harold Andrews; permission

Problem (1) -- '(c)' has absolutely no legal standing.

Problem (2) -- under some international areas, you also need the words "All
Rights Reserved"

>  is given to redistribute either on a non-profit basis, or where

Possible problem: Do you want 'non-profit' or 'non-commercial'? They have
distinct meanings. It's possible to make money off of something and still be
non-profit, whereas [ugh! lawyer word! get back! GET BACK!] 'non-commercial'
implies not taking money.

>  right of reply is not selectively denied, or where specific
>  permission is granted.

Problem 3: the entire phrase "or where...." to the end makes no sense to me.
I'm not even sure I can intuit what you intend to say -- something like "you
can distribute unless I tell you you can't, or I tell you you can." I'd just
end it after 'non-profit' the way it's written.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (02/18/89)

In article <25973@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> Possible problem: Do you want 'non-profit' or 'non-commercial'? They have
> distinct meanings. It's possible to make money off of something and still be
> non-profit, whereas [ugh! lawyer word! get back! GET BACK!] 'non-commercial'
> implies not taking money.

An aside here: a friend of mine who does managment consulting
for non-profit companies says:

	"Non-profit doesn't mean you don't make a profit.
	It just means you don't pay any taxes"

     Steve :-)

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl