[news.admin] Dilemma

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/18/89)

I don't understand you people sometimes.

Sometimes, people get all upset over volume in a newsgroup; feeds
are pulled, heirarchies are dropped.

Somebody wants to gateway USENET onto another piece of electronic
wizardry, and a big fuss breaks out if they dont pump some volume
back onto the NET.

And whats worse than a group with high volume ? Why a group with
*low* volume. Nuke it.

Is there a a magic level at which a group has ``perfect''
volume ?  Wouldn't that change depending on the size
of the net, the capacity of the ``average'' USENET site ?

--
          "Hay hay, mye mye... rock an roll wil nevurr dye..."
richard@gryphon.COM                           gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (02/20/89)

In article <12231@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>And whats worse than a group with high volume ? Why a group with
>*low* volume. Nuke it.

A high volume, high noise newsgroup?

How about picking the number one newsgroup every month and
rmgroup'ing it?  If you want to lower the volume, we aren't
going to do it by removing empty newsgroups.  We also aren't
going to do it by creating new newsgroups.

>Is there a a magic level at which a group has ``perfect''
>volume ?  Wouldn't that change depending on the size
>of the net, the capacity of the ``average'' USENET site ?

Now there is an idea.  Any newsgroup whose traffic can't
be realistically handled by the machine in question should
be removed.  Start with the apple2 newsgroups for example.

Better still, time for another great renaming.  Move all of
the PC related [ Not just IBM variety, include MACS, AMIGAS,
etc ] groups into a new hierarchy.  We could call it the 'pc'
hierarchy.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +--Quote of the Week:------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "If I do not want others to quote me,

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (02/22/89)

In article <12976@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> Better still, time for another great renaming.  Move all of
> the PC related [ Not just IBM variety, include MACS, AMIGAS,
> etc ] groups into a new hierarchy.  We could call it the 'pc'
> hierarchy.

I could live with this, and then I could simply put "!pc" in my sys file,
ask uunet to do the same, and all of it would quickly and quietly
disappear.  Especially the pc-type binary groups.

--jim
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***