[news.admin] What's going on?

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (02/19/89)

The news flow has dropped by magnitudes the last 9 hours at
several sites I monitor,all with different sources.. Did something
happen?

Len

--
len@netsys.com
{ames,att,rutgers}!netsys!len

karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/19/89)

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
   The news flow has dropped by magnitudes the last 9 hours at
   several sites I monitor,all with different sources.. Did something
   happen?

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu took in 3224 articles Friday, and, as of Sat
5pm EST, has taken in 1124 today.  Case Western (cwjcc) and UKentucky
(ukma) are both unloading on Tut as I type.  The world seems pretty
ordinarily overloaded to me.

--Karl

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (02/19/89)

In article <12654@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>The news flow has dropped by magnitudes the last 9 hours at
>several sites I monitor,all with different sources.. Did something
>happen?

Something has definitely happened.  News volume has been down to about 25% of
normal here for the last five or so days.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (02/22/89)

In article <23361@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>In article <12654@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>>The news flow has dropped by magnitudes the last 9 hours at
>>several sites I monitor,all with different sources.. Did something
>>happen?
>
>Something has definitely happened.  News volume has been down to about 25% of
>normal here for the last five or so days.

I'm still receiving the apparently correct number of articles, up around
1700 or so a day, but I don't see the same volume in the usual newsgroups.
Perhaps someone at a backbone site could post newsgroup statistics and
compare them against several weeks ago.  Perhaps also with PCP being
changed there are fewer users on the net.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +--Quote of the Week:------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "If I do not want others to quote me,

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (02/23/89)

In article <23361@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) wrote:
>In article <12654@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>>The news flow has dropped by magnitudes the last 9 hours at
>>several sites I monitor,all with different sources.. Did something
>>happen?
>
>Something has definitely happened.  News volume has been down to about 25% of
>normal here for the last five or so days.

Are sites not getting messages, or is the flow just uneven?  I suspect
the latter.

Who'd like to volunteer to determine the overall topology of USENET
and do a flow analysis?  It might require a bit of cooperation (from
all the news administrators in the world), but the results might be
very interesting.  Perhaps a news virus could be used, to add a
volume-reporting routine to everyone's inews.

I suspect that describing the dynamics of news flow on all of
USENET is a problem several orders of magnitude more complicated
than anything that's ever been done in network theory.  I suspect
that it would be so even without the complications of equipment
breakdown, software changes, and other unpredictable variations.

	Chuck Karish	karish@denali.stanford.edu
			hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish

lmb@vicom.COM (Larry Blair) (02/23/89)

=
=Something has definitely happened.  News volume has been down to about 25% of
=normal here for the last five or so days.

This has just been another demonstration of exactly how much traffic is
contributed by schools.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (02/23/89)

Two week period ending
|	# of articles
|	|	bytes
|	|	|	# of posters
|	|	|	|   |	 |
881011 25253 43257129 3097 8044 453
881027 25400 46488108 3205 8007 475
881110 25454 46295566 3291 8335 472
881125 27475 46923846 3488 8838 468
881209 25875 49061814 3415 8578 463
881222 24507 46596720 3318 8378 461
890108 19579 39400426 2840 6709 457
890122 32230 53233611 3722 9511 487
890208 34470 59322042 4027 10399 496
890222 35488 60494195 4118 10833 476

I see no reduction in volume (other than the expected Christmas drop)

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (02/23/89)

 We'd need something that would forward results to a central site on a daily
basis,to be compiled into a master report weekly.. I imagine it would be quite
a massive flow.. Is it worth doing,and whose site would want the load/headaches
associated with it? Maybe it could be performed on a regional basis,with regional
sites forwarding pre-processed stats from their areas..

Len

--
len@netsys.com
{ames,att,rutgers}!netsys!len

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (02/24/89)

In article <12741@netsys.COM>, len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

>  We'd need something that would forward results to a central site on a daily
> basis,to be compiled into a master report weekly.. I imagine it would be quite
> a massive flow.

So, Len, do we include the traffic reports as part of the flow? :-)

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl@vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

    "vi2000: the editor of the 21st century" -- Dr. Bertrand Meyer

david@Pacbell.COM (David St.Pierre) (02/26/89)

We noticed it here as well - last weekend right after ames cut their news
feed over to a new machine. Almost nothing for a whole day. Then things
started flowing again ... and never stopped. My news spool FS went from
130K free blocks down to around 30K.

John Gilmore noticed that he was receiving (from me) gobs of articles which
were over three weeks old. Since I've (by habit I guess) kept my history
file down to about 7 days, I was blissfully passing everything on. In part,
I was relying on my up-stream feed to shelter me from having to worry too
much about maintaining a robust history file. And since I occasionally
have/want to do an expire -r (which until the last set of patches wiped
out the expired articles), I didn't see much point in keeping a large file.

Since news was coming in almost continuously and we feed about 25 sites,
I decided to shut down my down-stream feeds for a day or so. There was
so much going on in this machine that I think it was almost fibrillating.
I had 20K+ blocks queued in .rnews, sendbatches running on top of sendbatches,
etc.

I ran expire -p to toss all of the old articles & free up space. Then
processed all of the incoming news and ran another expire -p. Then started
running two parallel sendbatches. The size of some of my sendbatch control
files were over 400000 bytes. Things are finally starting to settle down out
here, but I guess I've learned my lesson and will try to keep a robust
history file handy.
--
David St. Pierre 415/823-6800 {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!david