[news.admin] I fixed a goof, but I'm telling you anyway

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (02/13/89)

I accidentally newgrouped news.announce.newusers and news.announce.important
as unmoderated with a distribution greater than local.  I have done a global
newgroup of the groups as moderated, just in case my newgroup got past
Houston.

Lesson:

Never, ever, make a quick-n-dirty /usr/lib/news/sys file like this:
mysite:all::
anothersite:all:L:

etc...

You probably know that already, but in case you didn't... :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend                              | Skate UNIX
uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict  -or-             |

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/14/89)

In article <304@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

>I accidentally newgrouped news.announce.newusers and news.announce.important
>as unmoderated with a distribution greater than local.  I have done a global
>newgroup of the groups as moderated, just in case my newgroup got past
>Houston.

It got here.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

news@wa4mei.UUCP (USENET admin) (02/15/89)

In article <304@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

>I accidentally newgrouped news.announce.newusers and news.announce.important
>as unmoderated with a distribution greater than local.  I have done a global
>newgroup of the groups as moderated, just in case my newgroup got past
>Houston.
>
>Lesson:
>
>Never, ever, make a quick-n-dirty /usr/lib/news/sys file like this:
>mysite:all::
>anothersite:all:L:
>
>etc...
>
>You probably know that already, but in case you didn't... :-)
>--
>J. Eric Townsend                              | Skate UNIX
>uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict  -or-             |

Apparently there are a lot of systems that don't know better than to
use 'all' for the newsgroup and distribution lists in their sys files.

About a year ago (being a novice news admin) I just had to try using the
sendsys command(request) and being a novice didn't get the distribution
set.  The result was that for the next couple of months my system overflowed
due to the large quantity of mail that came back from systems all over the
world.  There was also many flames for having commited this sin but not
one note that really explained what I had done wrong.  Well, wanting to
try to learn something about the way other news administrators setup their
sys files I actually read everyone of them that came in (~7MB).  I was able
to find someone locally (Atlanta) who would take the time to sit down with
me and explain some of the different things that I found in these sys files.
We seperated them into groups and the main ones that we studied were the
very good ones and the very bad.  All in all (sorry about the choice of words)
the best were from some of the larger schools and the largest percentage of
the bad ones came from the various AT&T systems (mostly in the NE).

I have also been keeping a listing of all the groups that have been coming
through that probably shouldn't. I'll include it below and maybe some of the
news admins might recongnize themselves here.

I would be interested in having someone explain to me why all of these
groups should be ariving in Atlanta, Ga.

3b.misc			brl.support		eunet.esprit
3b.tech			btl.general		eunet.followup
ads.general		btl.misc		eunet.general
ak.general		bu.general		eunet.jokes
alliant.forsale		bu.unix.questions	eunet.micro.acorn
apollo.junk		buf.general		eunet.news.group
apollo.politics		ca.driving		eunet.politics
apollo.rec.ski		ca.environment		eunet.sources
apple.aux		ca.general		eunet.works
apple.general		ca.news			fa.info-pascal
ar.info-vax		ca.news.group		fa.info-postscript
arpa.common-lisp	ca.politics		fa.sun-spots
arpa.info-3b2		ca.test			fa.unix-wizards
arpa.info-vax		ca.unix			fido.226
arpa.nets		ca.wanted		fido.ham-radio
arpa.supercomputer	can.ai			fido.packet
arpa.t-discussion	can.general		fj.editor.emacs
athena.forsale		can.jobs		fj.wanted
aus.ai			can.politics		fj.windows.x
aus.computers		can.uucp		fluke.general
aus.computers.ibm-pc	cat.announce		fluke.micro
aus.followup		cat.general		fnet.culture
aus.forsale		cat.questions		fnet.general
aus.fps			cdi.general		fnet.ia
aus.general		cdi.internal		fnet.lang
aus.jobs		chi.forsale		fnet.lelisp
aus.mac			chi.general		ge.sun-gods
aus.mail		chi.mail		harvard.test
aus.mbio		chi.wanted		hf.admin
aus.news		chv.general		hf.ethics
aus.parallel		cis.general		hf.politics
aus.pyramid		cis.grads		ho.general
aus.sf			cis.staff.software	houston.general
aus.sources		cis.tex			hug.general
aus.tex			cis.zets		ics.acm-library
aus.wanted		co.general		ics.general
austin.general		co.test			icus.general
axion.general		cs.bboard		ih.general
ba.bicycle		cs.general		ih.micro
ba.food			cs.works.next		ih.misc
ba.forsale		cu.3b2			ih.news
ba.general		cu.bboard		ih.test
ba.jobs			cu.games		ih.wanted
ba.market		daisy.graphics		imag.ragots
ba.motss		dc.forsale		in.jobs
ba.mountain-folk	dc.general		in.tech
ba.music		dcs.csgss		ingr.forsale
ba.news			dcs.general		intel.cad
ba.news.config		decpa.fun		intel.general
ba.news.group		dfw.flame		isle.ocean
ba.politics		dfw.forsale		isle.ocean.policy
ba.seminars		dfw.general		komp.unix.yuestions
ba.singles		dfw.news		kuleuven.vaxkulug.latex
ba.test			dnet.atari		kw.bb.sale
ba.wanted		dnet.general		kw.forsale
ba.windows.x		dr.audio		kw.fun
bac.emacs		dr.clubs.ski		kw.micro
bbn.bboard		dr.forsale		la.general
bbn.tex			dr.general		labs.general
bbn.video		dr.misc			labs.talk
bcr.general		dr.news			lai.general
bcr.wanted		dr.test			lamc.test
bit.listserv.aix-l	dr.wanted		lfl.movies
bit.listserv.netnws-l	dsc.general		lfl.music
bnet.general		du.misc			local.forsale
boulder.general		eunet.bugs.4bsd		local.mas
local.misc		orst.next		su.market
macc.technical		osu.big-lan		su.vaxhax
mail.common-lisp	osu.cogsci		sub.kultur
mail.commonlisp		osu.for-sale		sun.forsale
mail.mac-user		osu.general		suny.general
mail.uk-sendmail-worker	osu.graphics		sunyab.general
mcd.general		osu.mac			sunyab.grads
med.unc			osu.music		sunyab.undergrads
medlink.announce	osu.supercomputer	swbt.general
mh.wanted		osu.tex			swbt.ibm.pc
mi.map			pb.informix		swnet.mac
mi.misc			pb.mail.elm		swnet.wanted
mi.newsite		pb.micro		tek.cpm
micro.apple		pb.micro.pc		tek.forsale
micro.cpm		pb.unix			tek.general
micro.dbms		pb.wanted		tek.hardware
micro.forsale		pdx.computing		tek.misc
micro.general		pdx.forsale		tek.wanted
micro.ibm		pdx.general		tf.general
micro.mac		pdx.telecom		to.bagend
micro.osborne		pdx.test		to.cs.utexas.edu
micro.trs		pgh.general		to.edfder1
milw.general		pixar.music		to.gould9
misc.jobs.misc%usenet	pnw.general		to.gouldsd
mit.bboard		princeton.forsale	to.jobs
mn.general		princeton.iris		to.ncelvax
mot.general		princeton.wanted	to.netsys
nccn.social		psu.forsale		to.peora
ncr.buyandsell		psu.micro		to.uop
ncr.general		psu.test		to.uworld
ncr.pcd			psu.vm.rexx		to.versatc
ncr.sys.pcdos		pubnet.config		to.wybbs
ncr.sys.unix		pubnet.forsale		tor.general
ne.food			pubnet.nixpub		tor.news
ne.forsale		pubnet.sources		triangle.forsale
ne.general		pubnet.sysops		triangle.jobs
ne.housing		pubnet.talk		triangle.systems
ne.jobs			pubnet.wanted		triangle.vlsi
ne.news			purdue.general		triangle.wanted
ne.wanted		pyr.syseng.comm		triangle.wizards
nes.software.b		ra.slug			tty.misc
nj.events		region.general		tx.general
nj.forsale		ru.classifieds		u3b.misc
nj.general		ru.colloquia		u3b.tech
nj.test			ru.colloquia.cs		u3b.test
nj.wanted		ru.colloquia.math	u3g.misc
nlnet.general		ru.flame		u3g.wwb
nosc.micro		ru.general		uc.test
nosc.micro.mac		ru.qa			ucb.becmug
nosc.micro.mac		ru.qa.prolog		ucb.cs.msgs
nuug.general		sait.mac		ucb.general
nwu.general		sdnet.general		ucb.jobs
ny.forsale		sdnet.jobs		ucb.wanted
ny.general		seattle.general		ucsd.news
ny.test			sfnet.juoru		uk.events
ny.wanted		sgi.general		uk.general
oli.3b			slo.general		uk.ikbs
ont.events		sti.general		uk.jobs
ont.general		stl.jobs		uk.lisp
ont.jobs		stp.misc		uk.sources
ont.micro		su.computers		uka.wanted
ont.uucp		su.etc			ul.cs.systems
or.forsale		su.events		um.general
or.general		su.gay			umbio.sysop
or.test			su.jobs			umbio.talk
oracle.corp.jobs.offere	su.macintosh		unix-pc.bugs
unix-pc.misc		uva.general		vannuys.general
unix-pc.test		uva.ibm			vu.general
usc.general		uva.med.general		wi.forsale
usc.test		uvm.test		wi.general
usl.general		uw.cs.faculty		wny.general
uswest.at.sys		uw.cs.grad		wny.seminar
ut.ai			uw.cs.ugrad		wny.test
ut.general		uw.fass			wny.unix-wizards
ut.jobs			uw.general		wny.wanted
ut.text			uw.tex			yale.emacs-users
utah.misc		uw.vlsi			yale.forum
uu.cs.misc		uwm.general
--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

pell@isy.liu.se (P{r Emanuelsson) (02/27/89)

In article <2004@wa4mei.UUCP> news@wa4mei.UUCP (USENET admin) writes:
>Apparently there are a lot of systems that don't know better than to
>use 'all' for the newsgroup and distribution lists in their sys files.

Sorry, but it will only get worse. The problem is that B news confuses
newsgroup names and distributions in the sys file. I run C news and
I have to have "all" in my sys file, or a lot of articles will be junked!
This is because people put all kinds of strange distributions, like
"rec" or "gnu", in their articles. And B news allows them to. C news, however
(and News 3.0 too, I think) wants the distribution to be a geographical
area or something. I cannot quite see the reason behind putting a distribution
of "gnu" on a posting in gnu.gcc. The "gnu" distribution is inherent in
the group name.

Fortunately, C news allows me to configure the system so that no articles
with incorrect distributions will be transmitted FROM this site.

But I will have to keep the "all" in my sys file until more people have
converted to C news...

    /Pell
--
"Don't think; let the machine do it for you!"
                                   -- E. C. Berkeley