[news.admin] "What is Object-Oriented Programming?" by Stroustrup

[news.admin cross-posting added -- this is important]

In article <91533@sun.uucp> dhare@sun.UUCP (Dwight Hare) writes:
>>Could someone post this excellent article so that those of us who don't get
>>IEEE Software can also read it? Thanks.
>
>I took this as an opportunity to play with my new OCR system.  I hope that
>I'm not violating any netnews rules by posting a copyrighted article.

Yes, you are, the most important one of all:  Thou shalt not endanger the
net for thine own pleasure.  Posting copyrighted material is a copyright
violation.  You can get sued for that.  Worse, there is a distinct chance
that sites which pass it on might get sued as well.  (Whether such suits
have a chance of succeeding is a different issue; they will do damage even
if they don't.)

ALL SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS READING THIS:  ARTICLE <91533@sun.uucp> IS A
MAJOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT THAT PUTS YOUR SITE IN DANGER.  I WOULD MOST
STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU REMOVE IT AT ONCE.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dhare%integral@Sun.COM (Dwight Hare) (03/01/89)

In article <1989Feb28.172023.17877@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>[news.admin cross-posting added -- this is important]
>
>In article <91533@sun.uucp> dhare@sun.UUCP (Dwight Hare) writes:
>>>Could someone post this excellent article so that those of us who don't get
>>>IEEE Software can also read it? Thanks.
>>
>>I took this as an opportunity to play with my new OCR system.  I hope that
>>I'm not violating any netnews rules by posting a copyrighted article.
>
>Yes, you are, the most important one of all:  Thou shalt not endanger the
>net for thine own pleasure.  Posting copyrighted material is a copyright
>violation.  You can get sued for that.  Worse, there is a distinct chance
>that sites which pass it on might get sued as well.  (Whether such suits
>have a chance of succeeding is a different issue; they will do damage even
>if they don't.)
>
>ALL SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS READING THIS:  ARTICLE <91533@sun.uucp> IS A
>MAJOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT THAT PUTS YOUR SITE IN DANGER.  I WOULD MOST
>STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU REMOVE IT AT ONCE.
>--
>The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Yes, you're quite right.  I have notified usenet central, the author of
the article, and the Manager of Intellectual Property Rights at IEEE
Publishing.  I have requested that the article be cancelled.  I have
been assured by IEEE that no litigation will result from this.
I apologize for endangering the net, although I resent the implication
that I purposely endangered the net for my own "pleasure".

I have seen many newswire stories quoted verbatim on the net, so there is a
large education problem.  I hope that my experience helps to further that
education.  I would also encourage all who so quickly responded to my
mistake that they just as quickly respond to requests that copyrighted
material be posted (my posting was a response to such a request, and several
days had elapsed between the request and my posting).

Again my apologies to all.