[news.admin] posting privileges - why there should not be a probation period

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (03/11/89)

In article <2201@tank.uchicago.edu> ads4@tank.uchicago.edu (Adam Sah) writes:
>[...]
>Unless you can figure out a way of finding the _experienced users_
>from the _new users_, I personally think that the current system is best.

I agree with the points made by Adam.

I would also like to add that there are times when _new users_
after only a brief time need to be able to post.

I have one such user who represents a non-profit organization
whose work I deem quite socially important.  He is *not* what
one would call natrually computer-oriented, but the nature of his
work suggests that the sooner he can post, the better.

I've also judged this person to be highly responsible,
experienced or not, and one who will follow net "table manners"
quite closely.

My way of controlling things is to limit the range of groups
available to him, giving him the ones he needs for this work, plus
a few others I believe he would enjoy.  (Also, my system receives
only selected groups by my choice, because of its nature and
purpose, and because of the number of system-wide only groups
that it is expected to contain.)

So I agree to leave things "as is" and let SysOps be responsible
for the behavior and access priviledges; when they fall down on
the job, let NetLand bring to bear a modicum of persuasion to
encourage that SysOp to take matters into hand.

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Atlanta, GA, USA
E-mail:      ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham