[news.admin] Appology For My Error

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (03/12/89)

In article <264@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>Recently, within the past several days, an erroneous control message
>leaked out of this site.
[ apology deleted ... ]

Noel had this over in news.sysadmin if you didn't see the original
article.  I sympathize with the problem and I wonder how many news
administrators have made the same mistake.  I sure have.

How about changing inews so that the default distribution for some
control messages is local and then everybody put !local in their
sys lines for their neighbors.  I know this creates a problem when
a new group is to be created and propagated, but it would save some
red faces too.  At this site rmgroups and newgroups are mailed to
me rather than done automatically, but that's a matter of choice,
not procedure.

Perhaps one of the veterans has an easy way to protect us from
ourselves.  If nothing else, maybe something that would make
inews tell us how it's propagating as it processes the control
message.  That would at least tell us when we screwed up and let
us catch it before looking silly and feeling stupid.  I don't
believe that "Pay attention to what you're doing" is appropriate.
I try to, I think most everyone does, and we still make mistakes.
Any suggestions?
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill