[news.admin] posting privilages

jdb9608@ultb.UUCP (J.D. Beutel) (03/15/89)

>From: gus@pyr.gatech.EDU (gus Baird)
>"highly bogus" - Enough responsible people are agreeing or seriously
>considering the proposal for me to say it probably isn't "bogus".

I am an outraged undergraduate, but I held my tongue assuming that
the original post was a fool's joke.  However, if people are
"seriously considering the proposal," then I feel I should add
to the volume.

[about gus' idea:]
>We're not talking censorship here.  I've suggested the same sort of
>discipline people have always used.

No; the best suggestion you managed was the opposite of what "people
have always used."  Assuming competence, and then reacting to incompetence,
is the normal thing to do on Usenet.  Not allowing undergrads to post
is the opposite: to assume incompetence.

>I'm saying we are about to have a real problem.  If I'm right, we
>should start working on solutions.  I've proposed one that's workable
>but somewhat harsh.  Can't anybody make a better one?

You're right.  Your proposal is harsh, and I think it would not improve
Usenet.  But, there is a problem, and we should start working on solutions.
I suggest a hypertext Usenet, where discussions could be followed better,
and flack could be avoided easily.

The solution to the problem of signal-to-noise ratio is to write software
to help find the signal.  Don't try to reduce the noise,
because one's noise is another's signal.

--
11011011_____jdb9608@ritcv.UUCP_____prefered==>__jdb9608@ritvax.BITNET