[news.admin] Setting up a UUCP site in Ontario

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (03/14/89)

[Sorry for the crossposting, followups are directed to news.admin
with an ont distribution]

I would like to set up a USENET site in Sudbury, Ontario in the near
future. The main purpose would be to provide mail and news access to
Sudbury and area computer users. A Trailblazer call to Toronto would
be involved, and I would like to recover the costs by charging the
users a fee.

Having experience in the news administration area, I'm cautious to
call my machine a "commercial" one. I only want to bring in enough
money to cover the long-distance bills to Toronto, the initial
investment of the system, the upkeep, and my time spent maintaining
it. A minor profit could be involved.  The term "Public Access"
comes to mind, but I am unsure of what this implies.

I'm also aware that many "commercial" sites have come under fire for
allowing idiots/goofs, what have you, to post to the net. I hope to
keep this under control, somehow, but hopefully it won't be needed.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I have directed followups to news.admin with an "ont" distribution,
if you think this might be an ongoing discussion. Otherwise,
use mail, I guess.

--
Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		eastick@me.toronto.edu

mnarayan@hcr.UUCP (Michael Narayan) (03/14/89)

In article <89Mar14.020238est.19867@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>I only want to bring in enough
>money to cover the long-distance bills to Toronto, the initial
>investment of the system, the upkeep, and my time spent maintaining
>it. A minor profit could be involved.

Isn't the idea behind Usenet to provide a FREE service ? Don't existing
sites provide a free service, with the site owners/operators paying
for the system and administration with their own money ? I don't think
that you should be charging users for Usenet access. However, if there
was some standard system cost ...

>I'm also aware that many "commercial" sites have come under fire for
>allowing idiots/goofs, what have you, to post to the net. I hope to
>keep this under control, somehow, but hopefully it won't be needed.

I don't think that you should be censoring what your users post.
If they are paying for connect time to your system, then they are
bearing the cost of what they write.

>--
>Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
>		eastick@me.toronto.edu

Michael J. Narayan
HCR Corp.
{utcsri!utzoo}!hcr!mnarayan

Nobody else could have opinions like these.

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (03/19/89)

In article <5381@hcr.UUCP> mnarayan@hcrvx1.UUCP (Michael Narayan) writes:
[reordered for clarity]
| I don't think that you should be censoring what your users post.
| If they are paying for connect time to your system, then they are
| bearing the cost of what they write.

 On the other hand, what they post reflects on your site. I don't want
my site to become known as the next Portal; that's why most postings
on the Ziebmef are checked over first, and why I read all postings
made from here.

| Isn't the idea behind Usenet to provide a FREE service ? Don't existing
| sites provide a free service, with the site owners/operators paying
| for the system and administration with their own money ? I don't think
| that you should be charging users for Usenet access. However, if there
| was some standard system cost ...

 This is a widely held and (IMHO) quite wrong assumption. Many sites
already charge some or all of their users to read news by charging for
connect time and/or CPU time (quite possibly including Doug's current
site). I see nothing wrong with explicitly charging for Usenet access
(charging for access time when the only thing you offer is Usenet is
currently being done by several sites). Note also that Uunet currently
charges for "Usenet access" in bulk form, and may very well make a
profit sometime soon -- and I for one will applaud if it happens.

 My current view of Usenet is that it is remarkably similar to how
people can distribute the FSF's programs. People are perfectly free to
charge whatever the traffic will bear to make copies of FSF programs;
they just can't forbid their customers from further distributing the
code. A similar rule holds for Usenet. If the people reading news from
your site become dissatisfied with your rates, there is nothing
preventing them from going elsewhere or setting up their own site.

 "Standard system cost" is an oxymoron; systems vary widely, as do the
costs of running them (from nearly zero to VERY high -- consider
how much attcan must be paying in phone bills!). Doug is certainly
going to have some continuing costs for the long-distance calls to get
news to Sudbury, and TB+ modems and large disks don't come cheap
either.

--
	"Though you may disappear, you're not forgotten here
	 And I will say to you, I will do what I can do"

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/22/89)

In article <5381@hcr.UUCP> mnarayan@hcrvx1.UUCP (Michael Narayan) writes:

>Isn't the idea behind Usenet to provide a FREE service ?

Well, no, not exactly.  I think a useful goal is to provide a
stable, self-sustaining, growing service that's relatively
resiliant to shocks from external forces.  Free it ain't.

(I took off the ont distribution, followups to news.misc)

In article <5381@hcr.UUCP> mnarayan@hcrvx1.UUCP (Michael Narayan) writes:
>Isn't the idea behind Usenet to provide a FREE service ? Don't existing
>sites provide a free service, with the site owners/operators paying
>for the system and administration with their own money ? ...

Often not so.  Back in the days when news got imported to the Toronto
area by 1200-baud modem, there was an organized cost-sharing agreement
among local sites to help cover the phone bill.  Free service can be
rather expensive.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu