[news.admin] Use of 'all' distribution in sys

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (03/12/89)

In article <2004@wa4mei.UUCP> news@wa4mei.UUCP (USENET admin) writes:
#In article <304@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
#>I accidentally newgrouped news.announce.newusers and news.announce.important
#>Lesson:
#>Never, ever, make a quick-n-dirty /usr/lib/news/sys file like this:
#>mysite:all::
#>anothersite:all:L:
#
#Apparently there are a lot of systems that don't know better than to
#use 'all' for the newsgroup and distribution lists in their sys files.

What is wrong with 'all', *if* you specifically exclude local groups?
Except for a national or other major backbone site, which probably
does have to protect large sections of the net from strange groups,
it is *much* simpler to pass all groups except local ones than to
list all the ones you do want to send.  I was able to make a major
simplification to our sys file by changing from the old list of groups
that were allowed to 'all' followed by the few forbidden groups.  It also
means that if a new distribution is agreed (gnu, bionet, etc.) we get it
immediately without having to update our sys file - I only do that if we
do not want it.     Since making the change, I've been watching the log to
check that the right things go to the right sites, and they do.   Here's an
extract from our sys file (another little trick to make the sys file more
readable is to separate the entries with a # comment line - most people don't
seem to realise you can do that).

stl:all,to.stl::
#
stc:all,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:F:
#
ukc:all,!stc,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:FL6:
#other sites fed not shown in this extract

We are stl, which is also our local distribution (2 hosts plus some nntp
clients).   stc is a company distribution - about 15 hosts - and also the
name of the main stc host.   You'll see that we feed out to ukc (UK backbone)
anything not local or within stl,stc distributions and which started reasonably
near to us, e.g. from one of the sites we feed.  I also dropped the file name
from the sys entry, as the default /usr/spool/news/batch/<site> is OK here.

If I'm wrong, please tell me why.
If I'm not, then careful use of 'all' can make sys files much more readable
and thus easier to maintain.
--
Regards,
        David Wright           STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/14/89)

In article <1247@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
>What is wrong with 'all', *if* you specifically exclude local groups?

The situation may be different in the UK, but here we have a wide
variety of local distributions ("nj" for New Jersey, "ba" for the San
Francisco Bay Area) and special-interest distributions ("alt", "biz", etc).
A lot of the problems we're having with distributions relate to too many
admins putting "all" in their sys files (hence "Car for Sale" ads going
to the whole word, etc).

If the net were static, it wouldn't matter.  The difference between
all, plus a lot of "!group" modifiers, and specifying groups
explicitly, is what happens when someone adds new groups or new
distributions.  You'll either send by default, or not.  Given the
traffic explosion on the net, I suggest that not sending by default is
a better move (do all your downstream neighbors want all the groups in
the new "whizbang" alternate newsgroup hierarchy?).
--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

gordon@sneaky.TANDY.COM (Gordon Burditt) (03/16/89)

>What is wrong with 'all', *if* you specifically exclude local groups?

Usually, not excluding ENOUGH local groups, and letting new local
groups leak out before you find out about them.

>stl:all,to.stl::
>#
>stc:all,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:F:

Didn't you forget "!to,to.stc" here?  Even if you don't use ihave/sendme
with stc, if you have ihave/sendme with ANYONE, you're likely to pass
them around further than they should.

>#
>ukc:all,!stc,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:FL6:

Forgot "!to,to.ukc" here.

>#other sites fed not shown in this extract

Also, do you really want to forward "junk"?

				Gordon L. Burditt
				...!texbell!sneaky!gordon

news@wa4mei.UUCP (USENET admin) (03/19/89)

In article <8493@sneaky.TANDY.COM> gordon@sneaky.UUCP (Gordon Burditt) writes:
>>What is wrong with 'all', *if* you specifically exclude local groups?
>
>>ukc:all,!stc,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:FL6:

I was under the impression that while inews was searching the sys file
it would take the first match on the line which in this case would be
all and then send the message. Wouldn't the correct order be:

ukc:!stc,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup,all:FL6:

????

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us (Ron Heiby) (03/24/89)

dww@stl.stc.co.uk writes:
> What is wrong with 'all', *if* you specifically exclude local groups?
> stl:all,to.stl::
> #
> stc:all,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:F:
> #
> ukc:all,!stc,!stl,!local,!test,!general,!followup:FL6:
> #other sites fed not shown in this extract

Well, here are a couple of things wrong with it.  For one, you are
propagating "junk".  For another, you are propagating all of the
"to." newsgroups.  So, if ukc sends a control message to you, it
will also get sent to stc.  This probably isn't intended.  At least
one of the sites I feed does something very similar to this.  It
really pisses me off when my control messages propagate where I
don't intend and when control messages not intended for my site
end up here.

> If I'm not, then careful use of 'all' can make sys files much more readable
> and thus easier to maintain.

To sum up, I guess using "all" isn't all that bad, except that the
people who use it don't know how.  I don't mean this message as a blast
against David.  As I said, at least one of the sites I feed has made
the same mistakes (as has at least one of the sites that *they* feed).
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Life is indeed an inexplicable sequence of imponderable surprises."