[news.admin] Brad, Inc.

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (03/23/89)

In article <7994@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>The question which should be asked (which Brad did not ask) is --
>
>     "Shall Usenet Moderators be permitted to export submissions
>     given to them by Usenet users off the net and use these
>     exported submissions on commercial networks?"
>
>Let's make the question correct to begin with, and *then* vote.

Adding the phrase "for personal profit" to the end would be much more
accurate.

Let us not forget that it is our same Brad Templeton who, just a month
or so ago, said he hadn't planned on selling RHF, but that if anyone
was going to be making money off of it [ which no one has except for
him so far ... ], it was going to be him.

Let us not forget while asking this question that we are giving Brad
permission to charge ANY SITE which he feels is ``a commercial network''
for RHF.  NOT just GEnie, NOT just Delphi, but Portal, The WELL, any
collection of public access pay-for-play BBS's, or even Patrick's Chinet.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "Do not drink and bake"

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (03/26/89)

In article <13913@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
~Let us not forget while asking this question that we are giving Brad
~permission to charge ANY SITE which he feels is ``a commercial network''
~for RHF.  NOT just GEnie, NOT just Delphi, but Portal, The WELL, any
~collection of public access pay-for-play BBS's, or even Patrick's Chinet.

No he is not.  ANYONE can get a news feed from anywhere, and Brad has no
control over where his groups end up.  No one has signed any agreements
anywhere concerning payment for USENET services.  Brad is being paid to
be a moderator for Genie and Delphi, NOT USENET.  If he is putting jokes
on GEnie/Delphi from USENET, I consider it a fair swap for the jokes he
will be bringing over from GEnie/Delphi.  Remember, you will be getting
stuff off of GEnie/Delphi for FREE!  Tell me again, please, how Brad is
getting money for being moderator of RHF!
--
-Todd Day-
Internet: todd%ivucsb.UUCP@anise.acc.com

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (03/27/89)

In article <661@ivucsb.UUCP> news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:

>...anywhere concerning payment for USENET services.  Brad is being paid to
>be a moderator for Genie and Delphi, NOT USENET.  If he is putting jokes
>on GEnie/Delphi from USENET, I consider it a fair swap for the jokes he
>will be bringing over from GEnie/Delphi.  Remember, you will be getting
>stuff off of GEnie/Delphi for FREE!  Tell me again, please, how Brad is
>getting money for being moderator of RHF!

A joke for joke swap would be fair. If Brad is paid by Genie for his
organizational efforts there while at the same time maintaining the ratio
of a 'joke for a joke' through the gateway, then there should be *less*
objection.

But I repeat myself, endlessly it seems: So far I have seen no jokes from
Genie, free or otherwise, come through the gateway to Usenet. Has it not
occurred to you to wonder why the management at Genie, or whoever will be
Brad's supervisor there has not been participating in the discussion here?
Where is someone in authority at that organization committing to a free and
unhindered flow of information in this direction? Where is some written
commitment that Genie/Delphi/Compuscrew or *any* of those outfits are willing
to abandon their copyright on any of their output?

Well, so far there hasn't been any such guarentee: only Brad saying it would
be a two way deal. Two way until their lawyers get after him, perhaps.

Tell you again how Brad will be making money from RHF? Okay, one last time.
A commercial service will be giving payments to Brad, an individual, for the
submissions he gives them which were entrusted to him by Usenet, a collective
body of people.

I will accept Brad's argument that 'it is not the jokes I send them, it is
my organizational skills and labor they are paying for' as soon as I see him
actually running such a forum and *two way traffic* through the gate. I think
Genie needs our blessings -- not the other way around, so let them get into
this conversation.

And Brad, when you tell them to provide a written commitment, tell them to
to include a couple of jokes, won't you? We'll owe them two or three in
return.

--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / US Mail: 60690-1570 (personal zip code)

In article <8037@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>But I repeat myself, endlessly it seems: So far I have seen no jokes from
>Genie, free or otherwise, come through the gateway to Usenet.

Perhaps because there is no gateway yet?

>Has it not
>occurred to you to wonder why the management at Genie, or whoever will be
>Brad's supervisor there has not been participating in the discussion here?

Perhaps because they have better things to do with their time?  (Seriously.)

>I will accept Brad's argument that 'it is not the jokes I send them, it is
>my organizational skills and labor they are paying for' as soon as I see him
>actually running such a forum and *two way traffic* through the gate...

Then please shut up and let him try it.  He was cautious enough about the
sensibilities of the net to run an opinion survey *in advance*, instead
of just handing Usenet a fait accompli (which is, frankly, what I would
have done)... so now he's being flamed for not having started already!
I suppose some degree of rationality would be too much to ask...

>... Where is some written
>commitment that Genie/Delphi/Compuscrew or *any* of those outfits are willing
>to abandon their copyright on any of their output?

Do you want it notarized, and delivered to you by Federal Express?  If not,
face facts:  you're going to have to take somebody's word for it.  Why
not Brad's?
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (03/29/89)

In article <661@ivucsb.UUCP> news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
> [ ... ] Remember, you will be getting
>stuff off of GEnie/Delphi for FREE!  Tell me again, please, how Brad is
>getting money for being moderator of RHF!

WILL jokes from GEnie and Delphi be brought over to Usenet and the other pay
service?

The objection I have about gatewaying *any* Usenet group to the commercial
converencing systems is that they are implied to be ONE WAY.  I cannot see
how why there should be any more of an objection to, say, Compu Serve
becoming a Usenet node than any of the public-access Unix/Usenet system.

If Brad does want to charge public-access sites for his newsgroup, I hope
they band together and cut him off.  And what about uunet?  They make
money by distributing, among other things, rec.humor.funny.
--
                Glen Overby     <ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
        uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)   ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)