[news.admin] Scrap the current NG creation p

justin@inmet (03/31/89)

/* Written  3:24 pm  Mar 28, 1989 by peter@ficc.UUCP in inmet:news.admin */
Way to go, Brad. This sure sounds like a great way to reduce the bureaucracy
on the net... by creating a commitee.
/* End of text from inmet:news.admin */

You miss the point, Peter. We *already* are run by committee -- a committee
made up of all the people who yell and scream on news.groups/admin/misc. This
committee, as with all such, is inefficient in proportion to its size. Brad's
proposal would replace the many people who hold little power with a small
group that holds a lot. Dangerous, but, given some reasonable checks on
that power, probably a helluva lot more effective that the current system...

					-- Justin du Coeur

"Of course, after reading Chuq's USENET Community Trust article, it does make
 me just the *tiniest* bit queasy..."

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (04/03/89)

In article <128400005@inmet> justin@inmet writes:
>}/* Written  3:24 pm  Mar 28, 1989 by peter@ficc.UUCP in inmet:news.admin */
>}Way to go, Brad. This sure sounds like a great way to reduce the bureaucracy
>}on the net... by creating a commitee.
>}
>}Peter da Silva [...]
>
>You miss the point, Peter. We *already* are run by committee -- a committee
>made up of all the people who yell and scream on news.groups/admin/misc. This
>committee, as with all such, is inefficient in proportion to its size.

Like the U.S. Government?  (Imagine that! :->)  Like a
participatory democracy?  An absolute monarchy is far more
efficient, of course (and if you need a change of government,
all you do is behead the monarch :-}).

>Brad's proposal would replace the many people who hold little power with a small
>group that holds a lot. Dangerous, but, given some reasonable checks on
>that power, probably a helluva lot more effective that the current system...

Effective at what?
Perhaps inefficiency and ineffectiveness is desirable?
Why are efficiency and effectiveness the *primary* criteria?

Just playing the "daemon's advocate" :-)

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Atlanta, GA, USA
E-mail:      ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham