[news.admin] Scrap the current NG creation procedure

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (04/06/89)

In article <4860@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>A lot of the argument over newsgroup creation seems to be based on the
>idea that controlling newsgroup creation reduces the amount of traffic
>on the net. I don't believe it. I suspect that if someone has something
>to post, they'll post it regardless of whether there's a group specifically
>for the topic or not. One way to test this idea would be to declare a
>moratorium on newsgroup creation for a year and see if the growth in
>volume during that year fits the curve from previous years. My guess is
>that it would.

No need to guess about this.  Look at the very high volume newsgroups.
soc.singles and comp.sys.ibm.pc continue to grow with the rest of the
net, despite no soc.singles.sluts and soc.singles.angles, etc.  The
evidence indicates the readers adjust and post away.

>Unfounded guess: most of the people who favor this proposal administer
>tiny sites with very few users. Warning to Karl Kleinpaste and Bob
>Sutterfield: from now on, you're the point of contact for all the OSU
>students who want a newsgroup created or deleted.

Unfounded guess: you've peeked and looked at his UUCP map entry.

I agree 100 percent with Dave.  Making newsgroup creation easier will
make it easier to decide what traffic to carry, what not to carry and
how fast to expire the trash.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "Porsche does not recommend