[news.admin] The Guidelines and 100 Votes

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/10/89)

  The most controversial issue in all of this seems to be the 100 vote rule.
Most people who commented on it felt that it should be changed. I agree, but
I didn't include any changes to it in the guidelines, because my intention
was to try and formalize current practice rather than change it. I hope
that we CAN discuss the possibility of changes.

  I personally favor the proposal that required both a 100 vote margin
and a 2/3 majority for a creation vote to pass. One famous (but unnamed)
net person even went so far as to say "100 votes is a joke. I could get
100 votes on ANYTHING", and Bob Webber proved that to us shortly after
we started voting on things by getting the required 100 votes for
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac which was never intended as a serious new
group proposal.  (Now those of you new to this mess understand the
recent April Fool's joke)
  I think we DO want to continue to create new groups, but we also need
to be very careful about choosing the right name for a group (to make it
easier to find the groups you want to read/post in) and, at least until
we come up with a reasonable method for DELETING groups, limit new group
creations to those that are really needed, or the namespace will become
unmanageable.

--Greg

>comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac which was never intended as a serious new
>group proposal.  (Now those of you new to this mess understand the
>recent April Fool's joke)

That was a joke? Oh, I get it. Ha-ha. hee-hee. Chortle.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

USENET: N. A self-replicating phage engineered by the phone company to cause
computers to spend large amounts of their owners budget on modem charges.

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (04/10/89)

In article <2960@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
<
<   The most controversial issue in all of this seems to be the 100 vote rule.
< Most people who commented on it felt that it should be changed. I agree, but
< I didn't include any changes to it in the guidelines, because my intention
< was to try and formalize current practice rather than change it. I hope
< that we CAN discuss the possibility of changes.

>   I personally favor the proposal that required both a 100 vote margin
> and a 2/3 majority for a creation vote to pass. One famous (but unnamed)
> net person even went so far as to say "100 votes is a joke. I could get
> 100 votes on ANYTHING", and Bob Webber proved that to us shortly after
> we started voting on things by getting the required 100 votes for
> comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac which was never intended as a serious new
> group proposal.  (Now those of you new to this mess understand the
> recent April Fool's joke)
>   I think we DO want to continue to create new groups, but we also need
> to be very careful about choosing the right name for a group (to make it
> easier to find the groups you want to read/post in) and, at least until
> we come up with a reasonable method for DELETING groups, limit new group
> creations to those that are really needed, or the namespace will become
> unmanageable.
>
> --Greg

I see no reason for the requirement of a 2/3 vote.  In fact, if enough
people want a group, it should be difficult to oppose.  As proposed, the
2/3 requirement would only comes into effect if there are more than 200
yes votes.  It seems to me that as more people want a group, that they
should not even need a majority, so that, say, if 1000 people vote for a
group, it should take 2000 no votes to override them.  We should decrease
the force of the opposition for groups which many want, not increase it.

For deleting a group, it should require a substantial majority; here I
would go along with 2/3, or even more if the group is popular.

This is not a formal proposal.  It should be discussed, but if many want
to create a group, it should be harder to oppose.  If many want to retain
a group, it should be very hard to delete.  I do not have suggestions
about the voting procedure for making a group moderated/unmoderated or
changing moderators.  The present position, 100 more votes for a change
than against it, is not outlandish.  But it is too stringent for creating
controversial popular groups, and too lenient for the deletion of
controversial popular groups.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)