[news.admin] pathalias problem: out of memory type error

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (04/03/89)

Well, here's the error:
pathalias: out of memory (2460k allocated); notify the authorities

I have this sneaking suspicion that I can only allocate 2460k per
process under my flavor of unix. (3b1 Unix 3.0, kinda like Sys V rel 0.0).

Any hints/solutions?
--
J. Eric Townsend |          Skate UNIX or die, segmented memory suckers!
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict

judy@moray.UUCP (Judy Scheltema) (04/03/89)

In article <459@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>pathalias: out of memory (2460k allocated); notify the authorities
>I have this sneaking suspicion that I can only allocate 2460k per
>process under my flavor of unix. (3b1 Unix 3.0, kinda like Sys V rel 0.0).

It's not your flavor of Unix per se. I get the same thing under 3.51. I've
learned to just wait until I catch the machine fairly quiet (under .20 by
Lenny Tropiano's sysinfo daemon) and then run my mk.paths script, although
it's sometimes quite a while before I can catch moray not doing some kind
of batching/unbatching. I would love to hear other solutions who have
solved the problem without having to resort to my solution.

--
Judy Scheltema                |                     uunet!nuchat!moray!judy
			      |                            shell!moray!judy
Houston, Texas                |                 bellcore!texbell!moray!judy
Fido address: 1:106/889.5     |                     urchin.fidonet.org!judy

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (04/05/89)

In article <459@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|>Well, here's the error:
|>pathalias: out of memory (2460k allocated); notify the authorities
|>

|>I have this sneaking suspicion that I can only allocate 2460k per
|>process under my flavor of unix. (3b1 Unix 3.0, kinda like Sys V rel 0.0).
|>
|>Any hints/solutions?

This is strange.  On my UNIX pc, I'm running a pathalias every night, after
it runs uuhosts -unbatch (which unbatches new posted maps safely).  I'm
running 3.51 (actually a variant thereof) and pathalias'ing all the
d.*, u.*, and my local map.* files.  This is the output I get, which
incidently has been working fine here for decades (well 2 years actually):

rehash into 2039
rehash into 3067
rehash into 5113
rehash into 8179
rehash into 13309
rehash into 21499
rehash into 34807
16997 vertices, 39445 edges
allocation is 1408k after parsing
*** mapping
heap high water mark was 5610
498 backlinks
heap high water mark was 498
7 backlinks
heap high water mark was 9
0 backlinks
You can't get there from here:
	ideia
	.labein.es
	obelix
	eupa.upv.es
	labein.es
	.nsi.es
	nsi
allocation is 1480k after mapping
allocation is 1480k after printing
memory allocator wasted 1980 bytes

This is only 1480k, not 2460k?  What are you trying to pathalias?
Granted I have 3.5MB in my machine ... that might have something to do
with it ;-)   I thought the only limit on this virtual memory machine was
the size of the swap space, after you allocated too much, it would fill
the swap space up and then die (this has happened to me).  I've also
gotten "Killed" when trying to start compresses when my system is utilizing
lots of memory.

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (04/07/89)

you should consider the possibility that the "2640 meg allocated" report
is in error -- pathalias makes certain assumptions about the structure of
malloc-ed memory, which may be invalid on your machine.  (read the code
for details.)  not that this helps ... it sounds to me like your machine
has trouble with pathalias' use of a large address space.

	peter

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (04/10/89)

With the growth of the net in the past year, I have repeatedly had to
reduce the size of pathalias' input so that it would run (I don't have
a virtual machine, sigh).  The last reduction was to drop out *all* of
the u.* files and only run the d.* stuff.  Now that the d.* stuff is
being merged into the d.* files, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Pathalias is a wonderful program, but I don't think that Peter ever
designed it to work with such a large database.  As the net continues
to grow, this problem is going to hit more and more people.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what can be done to solve it.  The
algorithm used by pathalias could be modified to make use of a large
temporary file, but it would probably take a lot of work and run
forever.  Another idea would be to somehow divide the world up into
subnets, run pathalias on each subnet, and then run it again to
discover the connectivity between the various subnets -- but again
it'd probably be a lot of work to produce such a program.

Peter, you're the expert.  Are there any easy solutions that somebody
can hack into your code without doing too much damage?
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (04/10/89)

In article <13551@moray.UUCP>, judy@moray.UUCP (Judy Scheltema) writes:
> In article <459@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
> >pathalias: out of memory (2460k allocated); notify the authorities
> >I have this sneaking suspicion that I can only allocate 2460k per
> >process under my flavor of unix. (3b1 Unix 3.0, kinda like Sys V rel 0.0).
> It's not your flavor of Unix per se. I get the same thing under 3.51.

And curiously enough, I just ran pathalias and discovered that it now takes
just under 4Mb to finish (though that is with the debugging mode enabled,
because I've been getting bus errors and want to discover why!).  Just a
couple of weeks ago, it was more like 2Mb.  Does anyone know why the maps
suddenly got more complicated?  Curiously enough, the resulting palias file
is only about 4% larger (896K versus 864K).

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (04/11/89)

From article <459@flatline.UUCP>, by erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend):
> Well, here's the error:
> pathalias: out of memory (2460k allocated); notify the authorities
>
> I have this sneaking suspicion that I can only allocate 2460k per
> process under my flavor of unix. (3b1 Unix 3.0, kinda like Sys V rel 0.0).
>
> Any hints/solutions?

I heard a little bird whisper in my ear that there's a version of
pathalias in the works that needs less than one Meg.

Watch this space .....
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (04/12/89)

I think i'm on to a solution:

I normally run pathalias by te method of:
cat files | pathalias -args > file; sort file > file; etc

Lenny suggested:
pathalias -args files > file

The second method works!  It does *not* blow up my machine.

Note:  Don't try and run two concurrent pathalias jobs on a 3b1 at once,
even 3.5Mb RAM isn't enough room...

--
J. Eric Townsend | "Enter, oh seeker of knowledge... That's *YOU*, fathead!"
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict