[news.admin] Scrap the current NG creation procedure, invent a new one

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/28/89)

I feel all this talk about refinement of the current procedure misses
the point.

The current procedure isn't working at all, in my opinion.  What good
does it do to refine it and add more bureaucracy?

Let's review the purpose of the current procedure.  Newsgroup carrying
is, of course, done by net admins.  Net admins need a convenient system
to help them decide, usually as a group, what newsgroups are worth carrying
on their machines.

The procedure should make good suggestions, be quick and efficient, and not
itself generate excessive net traffic.  But remember that the procedure only
gives advice to sysadmins, nothing more.

The procedure should avoid wasteful groups, and at the same time convince
champions of impractical groups that it is not worth their effort to fill the
net with flamage to push their opinion.

Surveys (incorrectly called votes in this group) were instituted to find
out something about net opinion on newsgroups, and most importantly to shut
up newsgroup champions when a survey goes against them.

Why is the current system not working?  It has become a messy bureacracy.
The whole beauty of anarchy has been spoiled:

	A) Things aren't being quieted, they are noisier.  A 6-8 week period
	   of discussion and voting.  Endless calls for votes and repeated
	   calls.

	B) We get endless involvement in technicalities, as though these
	   were binding votes instead of just advisories for admins.
	   People yell if a vote is 29 days 23 hours instead of 30 days.
	   They yell if their all important 'vote' doesn't make it for
	   bounced mail.

	C) The process takes too long.  2 months, usually.  This is supposed
	   to be efficient?

	D) It makes people think this is a democracy, when it isn't.  One
	   person even thought you could hold a vote to dictate
	   "official usenet policy."

	E) The surveys aren't that meaningful.  They are posed and collected
	   by heavily biased poll-takers.  They come from a self-selected
	   set of respondants whose only qualification is that they have
	   enough free time to read news.groups.  :-)   They are further
	   biased by repeated 'calls for votes' when the pollster is not
	   satisfied with the results.

I say, down with bureacracy on usenet.  Down with endless finely tuned
rules and poking at technicalities.   Sorry to those folks who designed
it, but I say scrap it.

Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
replacement, let's hear yours, too.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/28/89)

In the previous article, I described how I feel the current system misses
the whole mark, and how I think we need a new one.  Here's one.  It's
just a proposal.

Remember, what we want is a way for sysadmins to decide what groups to
carry.  That's the ultimate decision making process of usenet, and any
guidelines must be based on that.

I propose the creation of the 'Usenet Newsgroup List Advisory Board' (UNLAB).
Unlab would consist of 5 people drawn from a pool.  Each month, the oldest
member of the board (the chair) would rotate off and a new person
would rotate on.  Nobody would control the board or be able to stay on
it for long.

The board will give advice on what groups should be created and deleted.
It's decisions would be by a vote of the 5, majority wins.  The board would
be restricted to decisions on newsgroup creation/deletion and the apointment
of new moderators for new groups or groups where the moderator has abdicated
without a successor.  In fact, I would advise that the members of UNLAB
be prohibited from expressing an opinion on the net on questions of
"how the net should be run" that have a boardmember's name attached.
(Instead, they could still post anonymous opinions, and of course, send
mail.)

Now I see two ways for UNLAB to give its advice on changes to the
newsgroup list.

	1) Somebody suggests a group to UNLAB.  If they are unanimous,
	the group is created, by them, after a short discussion.

	If they are not unanimous, UNLAB holds a survey.  The question,
	written by the UNLAB chair, is posted to "news.groups," a MODERATED
	group.   Survey replies go to an automatic counting program
	run by UNLAB on an central machine.  The survey lasts as long as
	UNLAB wants, I would suggest 14 days is plenty.  It's just a
	survey.

	UNLAB examines the survey results as they see fit.  No hard and
	fast rules, although general guidelines like the ones we have
	now might guide their decisions.   They vote.  Majority decides.

or
	2) Somebody suggests a group to UNLAB.  Unless they are unanimously
	AGAINST it, it gets created.  (If they are unanimously against,
	a survey might be taken if the applicant appeals.)

	The groups is create on a trial basis.  A set of randomly selected
	arbitron running sites will send arbitron reports to UNLAB officials.
	If the readership reaches suitable levels (decided by UNLAB, but
	the same for all groups) within 4-6 months, the group stays.
	Otherwise the axe falls.  Remember, no problem deleting groups as
	UNLAB can do that easily.  My suggestion of a criterion for
	readership is that the group have 1 reader per long distance link
	in the subnet in which it exists.  Anything less is more efficient
	with a mailing list.

Deletion:
	If Unlab is unanimous for deletion on an established group for 5
	months, it's history.  (This is a complete rotation of the UNLAB
	membership.)

Membership:
	UNLAB membership would be open to sysadmins with 3 or more years
	of usenet experience.  Each new member would be drawn from a
	pool of volunteers.  The drawing would be random, and done by
	a non-member who has signed an oath to execute the choices
	randomly.  (Or pseudo randomly, since it would be done by
	software.)

Now I personally, as a sysadmin, would trust this more than the
random, self-selected, biased noisy polls we see now.  What about you?
Think of it.  No noise, no arguments, no sticky procedure.

I will write up a formal set of rules for the board later if people
like this idea.  Note that when I say 'formal set of rules,' I refer
to the rules for UNLAB membership.  The actual decision process must
remain flexible.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

Brad is being a loose cannon again:

In article <3010@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> The current procedure isn't working at all, in my opinion.  What good
> does it do to refine it and add more bureaucracy?

The current procedure works just fine, if you bother to follow it.

The objections raised by this article are, by and large, without foundation.
The amount of argument about technicalities is minimal. The majority of calls
for votes are due to people not reading the rules. Nitpicking will always be
with us.

If it takes 6 or 8 weeks, what of it?

> Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
> replacement, let's hear yours, too.

alt.dev.null?

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

fireman@tippy.uucp (03/29/89)

  I really like your first idea.  The second idea falls because of lack of
user input.  Using a recent example, the REC.HAM-SWAP vote, if the 5
members know nothing about amatuer radio, it probably would be voted down
because the sysadmins wouldn't want the space used.  Other than that,
I feel your proposal if very well written, and I hope to see other
supportive comments as time goes by.

       Rob Dale + tippy!fireman@newton.physics.purdue.edu

dave@norsat.UUCP (Dave Binette) (03/29/89)

In article <3010@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I feel all this talk about refinement of the current procedure misses
>the point.
>
>The current procedure isn't working at all, in my opinion.  What good
>does it do to refine it and add more bureaucracy?
>
>Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
>replacement, let's hear yours, too.

I am so glad you asked!  Well for what its worth (and I do not have a broad
perspective on the implications of this, not being familiar with the diverse
implimentations of news gathering/reading software available) here are my
suggestions.

1) A survey asking people why they want a new newsgroup is not needed.
   A yes or no vote is sufficient.
2) it must be very easy and quick to vote (once).
3) It must post results.
4) It must be automatic.
5) The initial request for creation should be moderated.
   (to prevent duplication of same group creation requests)
6) The moderators denial to authorize a creation request must be published.

Those are the basic tennets of my proposal, brief scheme follows.

The moderator shall be ELECTED, subject to review, and well connected.

The moderator will receive e-mail from a net user proposing creation of a
newsgroup.  If the newsgroup exists or is in the process of being voted on or
if its a proposal that has been rejected within the last 3 months it will be
rejected and the net so informed.

The proposer will provide information including:
	1) The proposers mail address.
	2) The name of the group
	3) The proposed distribution.
	4) The reason the group is being proposed
	5) description of the groups content, use, intent, caveats, and
	   the "do's and don'ts" of the newsgroup.
	6) expirary date of the newsgroup itself.
	7) the entire proposal must be short! ( 50 lines MAXIMUM )

(I prefer a database format with #directive lines.)

The moderator shall include a cutoff date for collection of votes which
shall not be less than 7 days or more than 21 days.

That information will, at the hands of the moderator, be posted to the net.

Upon receipt of a vote request, a user may cast a simple YES or NO vote
for the creation of the newsgroup.

the result of the vote will be automatically forwarded to the moderator and
a monitor.

At the end of the voting period the results will be posted by the moderator and
will show the id and yes or no vote of each valid response and the total
of the two votes.
The monitor will post a totals of the two votes.

If the results are reasonably consistent (allowances for connectivity etc).
and the result favors creation, the ORIGINAL person who proposed the newsgroup
may issue a newgroup control request.

Both the monitor and the moderator will e-mail the results to the person
who proposed the creation of the newsgroup and clearly state the status of
the vote saying:
The vote for the creation of "...newsgroup..." has been taken,
and the consensus is (either YES or NO)

Well thats my proposal.  By making it EASY and QUICK to vote, its my gut
feeling that the yes/no ratios will be much more accurate.

This whole thing can be handled by a handful of simple programs to manage
the process.

--
---
usenet:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!norsat!dave     (Dave Binette)

In article <3011@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In the previous article, I described how I feel the current system misses
>the whole mark, and how I think we need a new one.  Here's one.  It's
>just a proposal.
>
>Remember, what we want is a way for sysadmins to decide what groups to
>carry.  That's the ultimate decision making process of usenet, and any
>guidelines must be based on that.

No, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

There are many other issues that need to be resolved with regards to the
net.  Your "unlab" proposal seems to be a seed for controversy, not a way to
get a consensus from the net administrators.

I'm brewing a slightly different idea; one which has the "voice of the
net" assigned to those who have to answer for the actions that are taken.
Specifically, this refers to the administrators of net sites -- those who
have to either (1) pay the bills for keeping the net going, or (2) have to
answer (either formally or informally) to those who do pay the bills.

Once I've got something a little more concrete (what's up in the head right
now is too shaky to propose formally, or to take to the net for comment)
I'll post it.  Suffice it to say that it's being discussed among a small
group of people at present, and being refined into something that may be
workable.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (03/30/89)

In article <3010@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
>replacement, let's hear yours, too.

Not having read the next posting...

A cabal.  Not a backbone cabal, but a siteadmin cabal.  A mailing list
limited to "root", "postmaster" and "usenet" at each site on the Usenet.

Anyone wanting a new newsgroup would have to convince a site's usenet
admin (needn't be their *own* siteadmin, just any site admin) to bring
it up on the mailing list.

Site admins would "vote" on newgroup creation, with the vote count/names
posted to news.admin (or wherever).  Summaries of mailing list traffic
could be regularly posted to news.whatever.

It probably has some holes, but it seems sound at 0245hrs. 1/2 :-)

--
J. Eric Townsend |          Skate UNIX or die, segmented memory suckers!
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (03/30/89)

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) said:
-
-Let's review the purpose of the current procedure.  Newsgroup carrying
-is, of course, done by net admins.  Net admins need a convenient system
-to help them decide, usually as a group, what newsgroups are worth carrying
-on their machines.

There can't be any.  The net is made up of individuals, not of robots.  The
sys and net admins you're talking about work in completely different
environments.  The admin policies at a Detroit automaker are going to
be different than those of the news admin at MIT, or Big Electric Cat, or
any number of machines owned by individuals (to name a couple of examples).

The word "convenient" should never be used to complement the phrase
"group decision".  Group decisions (democracy, republics, consensus) is
a messy way to run something.  All it does is make sure that everyone
(or a majority) is equally unsatisfied.

-Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
-replacement, let's hear yours, too.

Replace it?  WHY?  It may not be working perfectly, but it *is* working.
Leave well enough alone.

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (03/30/89)

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) said:
-
-I propose the creation of the 'Usenet Newsgroup List Advisory Board' (UNLAB).
-Unlab would consist of 5 people drawn from a pool.  Each month, the oldest
-member of the board (the chair) would rotate off and a new person
-would rotate on.  Nobody would control the board or be able to stay on
-it for long.

5 people to decide what an audiance of tens of thousands of people will
read?  What ever happened to input from outside sources?  Also, if you
keep rotating people in, rather than get a stabilizing force for the net
(as you seem to want), you'll start to get a constantly changing policy
from UNLAB.

[...]

Ok...here we encounter a number of points I disagree with.

1)  You're giving an advisory board powers over the creation of newsgroups
for the entire net?  I don't want to depend on the whim of whichever 5
people happen to be in charge at the time.

2)  news.groups should NOT be moderated.  Yes, there is a lot of volume here,
but there's also a lot of feedback and good ideas for what groups might be
good, might be bad, and where to go to discuss a particular topic.

3)  Who would moderate the new news.groups?  Are you going to be changing
the moderator every month?  Not everyone has the time to moderate a group,
but DO want to participate in the health and well-being of the net.  Or would
you give moderation powers to someone not involved with the process (thus
allowing for politicing by the moderator).

-or
-	2) Somebody suggests a group to UNLAB.  Unless they are unanimously
-	AGAINST it, it gets created.  (If they are unanimously against,
-	a survey might be taken if the applicant appeals.)
-
-	The groups is create on a trial basis.  A set of randomly selected
-	arbitron running sites will send arbitron reports to UNLAB officials.
-	If the readership reaches suitable levels (decided by UNLAB, but
-	the same for all groups) within 4-6 months, the group stays.
-	Otherwise the axe falls.

Here's where complete anarchy (to use the euphamistic term, rather than the
definition) really begins.  You'll begin to get people mailing to the
members of UNLAB saying "Please create this group!".  The potential for
computerized hell for the members of UNLAB will begin to approach that of
real life politicians.  Especially during those 5 months when someone of
the belief "If someone wants a newsgroup, then they should have it."
is a member.  There are people out there who believe this, remember.
It will happen.

-Membership:
-	UNLAB membership would be open to sysadmins with 3 or more years
-	of usenet experience.  Each new member would be drawn from a
-	pool of volunteers.  The drawing would be random, and done by
-	a non-member who has signed an oath to execute the choices
-	randomly.  (Or pseudo randomly, since it would be done by
-	software.)

Here's my favorite part.  Do you mean "(sysadmin > 3) and (usenet exp > 3)"
or do you mean "(sysadmin > 3) or (usenet exp > 3) if you have some of both".
Are you going to deny membership to those folks who have hacked the news
software to pieces, participated heavily on the net, and keep in touch with
people all over the world simply because they've only been doing that for
a year?  And are you going to allow someone with who's been reading the net
for 3 years and just got their own machine to be on the board?

Hell, for that matter, just what *is* usenet experience?  Reading?  Posting?
Coding?  Moderating?

-Now I personally, as a sysadmin, would trust this more than the
-random, self-selected, biased noisy polls we see now.  What about you?
-Think of it.  No noise, no arguments, no sticky procedure.

I wouldn't.  I *like* the noisy polls we see now.  I don't see them as
inherently biased.  For all the groups that have been created that you
might not like, a number have also NOT been created, and a number have
also never gotten off the ground.

Under your plan, rec.music.rock (which I am almost violently opposed to)
would probably have been created.  Because of the voting policy, it did
not get created.  While others may not agree, I see this as a good thing.

-I will write up a formal set of rules for the board later if people
-like this idea.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway) I don't like this idea.  It creates
bueracracy, politicizing and chaos.  It also does not represent the will
of those who care about the net, and keeps those who can and will do
the best job from doing so.  It's just not a good idea.

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe
  Phone: 408-425-7222 x5123 Disclaimer: Speaking from SCO but not for SCO.

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/30/89)

I would say that if the 5 board members no "nothing" of amateur radio,
that would indicate that a specialized subgroup needs extra evidence to
be created.  As it is, I can't imagine the members knowing nothing about
it, although they could all know very little.

The point is, however, that sometimes group proposals come that just
don't make sense on the net.  If a group can't manage one reader for
every long distance link it goes over, then USENET is clearly not
an efficient way to run that group.

There are very valid discussion topics that simply don't make sense
in the context of THIS net.  That doesn't mean they don't make sense
in the context of other nets and other technologies.  For example,
one can set up a mailing list even on this net.  Or one can set up
a BBS.  If you can't set up a BBS, there are thousands of BBSs around
the world that would be glad to set up a topic area for you, and
most of these are free.

"But I have pay phone bills to access them?" -- of course.  But if you
don't have one reader per long distance link, then other people are
paying phone bills not just for you to access the data, but for
*nobody* to access the data.

At any rate, UNLAB might very well decide, at first, that a group just
isn't right for usenet.  (To use a current example, if I were on
UNLAB, I would suggest a group for organizing animal rights activists
might not be right for usenet, and more appropriate for a mailing list
or BBS.)   If UNLAB votes that way, what that means is that you give
up or you go out and get evidence that there is a strong demand for
the group, that's all.  You could even hold (gasp) a survey.  But this
would be a rare case.

Really most of these decisions are pretty easy for any usenet veteran,
and the tough cases can be handled in ways similar to what we use now,
such as polls.

But right now we're being crazy.  We're using participatory democracy
to make decisions which are really not worthy of such a technique.

If usenet were run by some commercial service, I find it hard to believe
that they would use participatory democracy to decide how to create
newsgroups, even if they believed in letter the users decide what they
want on the net.   The only reason I could see them pushing for it
would be if they got extra money for each message posted to news.groups!

Participatory democracy is a fine idea folks--if USENET were any sort
of democracy--but even if it were, we would leave participatory
democracy for the really important issues.
important issues if

--

In article <445@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <3010@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
>>replacement, let's hear yours, too.
>
>Not having read the next posting...
>
>A cabal.  Not a backbone cabal, but a siteadmin cabal.  A mailing list
>limited to "root", "postmaster" and "usenet" at each site on the Usenet.
>
>Anyone wanting a new newsgroup would have to convince a site's usenet
>admin (needn't be their *own* siteadmin, just any site admin) to bring
>it up on the mailing list.
>
>Site admins would "vote" on newgroup creation, with the vote count/names
>posted to news.admin (or wherever).  Summaries of mailing list traffic
>could be regularly posted to news.whatever.

I like this idea, as it keeps the administrators from feeling
disenfranchised from the process.  This is, after all, what we're trying to
achieve, yes?   A process that the administrators will accept is important
above all -- after all, they are the ones who either (1) pay the bills, or
(2) have to answer to the people who do pay the bills.

It's necessary that the administrators feel that they have a voice, and that
their views are important, or we'll have a hard time getting adminsitrators to
comply with the decisions that are made.  This applies not only to newsgroup
creation and deletion (the most frequent requests) but other issues as well.

There's no requirement that an admin vote on a particular issue.  As with
the current system, there will be many administrators who feel that the
issue isn't worth replying to or wasting their breath on.  It's enough to
know that you can speak, and you will be heard.

UNLAB lacks that sense of "belonging"; this proposal has it in spades.

Automated software could be easily set up to handle the vote-counting and
mailing list gatewaying; there's no need to send 5,000 copies of a mailing
from one location.  Instead, we have regional sites, who agree to host the
list for a particular area (states/cities?).  These people form a "fanout"
structure, such that say, 100 copies of a mailing list entry are sent from
the "origination" point, and it's propagated from there.  Replies work the
same way; they all funnel to one point, and then are repropagated from
there.  I'd suggest that the "central" site be directly on the Internet to
cut both delivery time and local (telephone) load for the site which takes
on this thankless task.

Limiting participation to those who have been on the net for "x" years
(where "x" is any number > 0) ignores the fact that the net has been growing
by leaps and bounds the last few years, with no sign of stopping anytime
soon -- and thus the restriction, by it's very nature, prevents a vast number
of administrators from having a say.  I believe that's a grave error to make.
I'd bet that a 3-year experience requirement would disenfranchise nearly 70%
of the current network.  Thumbing your nose at people who haven't been here
as long as you have is no way to get those (which are the _majority_) to
follow your example -- like it or not, the "new admins" are those who REALLY
set the policy, as they can (and might) simply vote with their feet rather
than abide by a decision.

I like this idea -- enough to volunteer to be the "fanout" site for our
area should it be implemented.  We have reasonably-good software for the
purpose (smail3, locally hacked to do more than even it's normal great job).

--

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/31/89)

In article <2147@viscous.sco.COM> davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:
>1)  You're giving an advisory board powers over the creation of newsgroups
>for the entire net?  I don't want to depend on the whim of whichever 5
>people happen to be in charge at the time.

No, it is not being granted powers.  It is an advisory board.  The power
over creation/deletion of groups resides, and always will reside with
system admins.   The power still resides with them now, with the surveys
that get taken under the current guidelines.  This does not move the power,
it moves the process of giving advice on the decision.

>2)  news.groups should NOT be moderated.
>3)  Who would moderate the new news.groups?

The group would be moderated not like a regular moderated group, but to
allow only the posting of surveys, survey results and board advice.  No person
would be the moderator.  Postings would be forwarded to a board alias, and from
there to the chair.

If most people are really as emotional about newsgroup creation as this
posting suggests, then UNLAB won't work.   In my mind, to most of the net,
it's pretty much a non-issue.  A simple matter not worthy of pretend
participatory democracy.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (03/31/89)

Brad:

Why don't you shut your mouth, crawl under your rock.humor.funny and play
with your damned Genie.

So Karl backed down, sort of, everything was cool, a few last minute
hecklers striving to get their two cents in.

You have no common sense boy!  Shut up for awhile!  All I've read for
months is Brad this Brad that... Sheesh!

I am tired of Brad, I don't want to hear about Brad for at least a week,
go away.  Give some other poor sole the chance to get his butt flamed
off!

Please!
--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com

> If usenet were run by some commercial service, I find it hard to believe
> that they would use participatory democracy to decide how to create
> newsgroups, even if they believed in letter the users decide what they
> want on the net.

Usenet is not a commercial service. It's an epiphenomenon produced by
a bunch of co-operating commercial services. The users aren't just paying
peons, they literally own the net. Machine for machine.

And news polls aren't democratic votes. They're more like Neilsen ratings.
Not perfect, but the best we got.

Tell you what, Brad, why don't you set up an alternative hierarchy, like
alt, and use whatever mechanism you want to control it. If it works better
than Usenet people will flock to it.

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/01/89)

In article <288@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>Brad:
>
>Why don't you shut your mouth, crawl under your rock.humor.funny and play
>with your damned Genie.

>You have no common sense boy!  Shut up for awhile!
>
>I am tired of Brad, I don't want to hear about Brad for at least a week,
>go away.  Give some other poor sole the chance to get his butt flamed
>off!

Thank you for your kind note.  As I have seen this sentiment expressed by
one or two others, perhaps more politely, I feel I should explain what is
an important issue here.

I am tired of a USENET where things are decided by who can shout down the
other side the loudest.  A USENET where you don't do things for fear that
the I-should-run-the-net people will insult and flame you.

I DO things on USENET, I don't just talk about them.  I believe that the
things I do make a better net, and I make efforts to find out whether
the things I do are supported by the wider net.  I believe they are, and
unlike the rest of you, I have evidence for it.

I cause controversy for one reason.  I do things and I am unwilling to
be cowed by flamage.  I am not Rushdie, but I am no more responsible for
the flamage in this group than Rushdie is responsible for the Ayatollah's
death threat.

The group creation mess is an important issue to me, and I refuse to not
put forward my careful proposal just because some people recently decided
to go after me.   I am going to do all sorts of other new and even more
controversial things in the near future.

Is this the USENET you want?  One where nobody does anything new that might
cause controversy?   Some anarchy, that.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (04/01/89)

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) said:
[in regard to my response to his original posting about UNLAB]
-
-If most people are really as emotional about newsgroup creation as this
-posting suggests, then UNLAB won't work.   In my mind, to most of the net,
-it's pretty much a non-issue.  A simple matter not worthy of pretend
-participatory democracy.

In the middle of all this mess that's occuring, you aren't sure if there
are people as emotional about newsgroup creation as I am?  I had thought
of myself as being rather mellow about the whole situation, espcecially
compared to some of the people out there (I didn't even insult your
mother :-) ).

This is Usenet.  People will get emotional and irrational about even the
smallest things.  Newsgroups are big things, and will *always* generate
sound and fury; most of the time signifying nothing.

--
Performance is life.  Entertainment is death.
					- World Entertainment War

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/01/89)

In article <3023@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I would say that if the 5 board members no "nothing" of amateur radio,
>that would indicate that a specialized subgroup needs extra evidence to
>be created.  As it is, I can't imagine the members knowing nothing about
>it, although they could all know very little.

Oh my God, it's the Usenet Investigative Committee on Amateur Radio.

Before this goes any further, there are a few questions that should
be considered:

1) Do we need any sort of policy-making body in Usenet, or for that
   matter, do we need policies? Do we need the guidelines we already
   have?

2) Should we shift from a cooperative anarchy to some other form
   of organization, such as a participatory democracy? If so, how
   should we enforce the dictates of the majority? Should we have
   the sort of "ruling council" that Brad has suggested? What happens
   if the majority decide to ignore them? Does anyone remember the
   Backbone Cabal?

Until we decide the answers to these questions, I think the discussion
over the newsgroup creation/deletion rules, including Brad's Gang of
Five, is premature. We need to decide *if* the net is going to be run
before we decide *how* it's going to be run and by whom.

Let's remember that the net is an anarchy not because everyone agrees
that that's the best way for it to be, but because there is no way to
impose any kind of order on it. There are no enforcement mechanisms.
The news software source code is provided to every site that runs
the news and it doesn't even require superuser privilege to install.
Any enforcement mechanism that is built in can be removed by someone
who can program in C.

Ultimately, the question is "Will we agree to be ruled?" If the
answer is "no", the current discussion is a waste of bandwidth.
If it's "yes", then the debate on the form of government to adopt,
along with the associated questions on how to enforce the decisions
of the governing body, can begin.

--
Dave Mack

In article <3199@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <445@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>In article <3010@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>>Replace it with what?  The next posting says.  If you have a real
>>>replacement, let's hear yours, too.
>>
>>Not having read the next posting...
>>
>>A cabal.  Not a backbone cabal, but a siteadmin cabal.  A mailing list
>>limited to "root", "postmaster" and "usenet" at each site on the Usenet.
>>
>>Anyone wanting a new newsgroup would have to convince a site's usenet
>>admin (needn't be their *own* siteadmin, just any site admin) to bring
>>it up on the mailing list.
>>
>>Site admins would "vote" on newgroup creation, with the vote count/names
>>posted to news.admin (or wherever).  Summaries of mailing list traffic
>>could be regularly posted to news.whatever.
>
>I like this idea, as it keeps the administrators from feeling
>disenfranchised from the process.  This is, after all, what we're trying to
>achieve, yes?   A process that the administrators will accept is important
>above all -- after all, they are the ones who either (1) pay the bills, or
>(2) have to answer to the people who do pay the bills.

News administrators make up less than 10% of the membership of the net.
(I assume something close to 1 news admin per site. There are around
11,000 - 12,000 sites. There are, according to the last arbitron stats
I saw, something like half a million readers.) This scheme may avoid
disenfranchising the site admins, but it does so at the cost of disen-
franchising the other 90+% of the population.

Is this really what we want?

--
Dave Mack

In article <4833@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
> In article <3199@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
> >In article <445@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
> >>Anyone wanting a new newsgroup would have to convince a site's usenet
> >>admin (needn't be their *own* siteadmin, just any site admin) to bring
> >>it up on the mailing list.

> This scheme may avoid
> disenfranchising the site admins, but it does so at the cost of disen-
> franchising the other 90+% of the population.

There is no "Franchise" on the net.

All this does is formalise the de-facto situation.

csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/02/89)

In article <3649@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <4833@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>
>> This scheme may avoid
>> disenfranchising the site admins, but it does so at the cost of disen-
>> franchising the other 90+% of the population.
>
>There is no "Franchise" on the net.

"disenfranchise[disfranchise], v.t., 1. to deprive of the rights of
citizenship, as of the right to vote or hold office. 2. to deprive of
a privilege, right, or power." -- Webster's New World Dictionary, Coll. Ed.

Now that you know what it means, may we proceed?

>All this does is formalise the de-facto situation.

Wrong. It deprives the vast majority of the net of their voice in
the issue of newsgroup creation. What is being proposed here is an
unenforced representative democracy, where the site admins are the
representatives of the users at their site. It ignores the fact
that many site admins, particularly at large sites with lots of
users, administer news in their spare time out of the kindness of
their black little hearts, and the last thing in the world they
want (or can afford in terms of time) is to become members of the
New Improved Distributed Backbone Cabal.

Many news administrators are too
busy to bother with the issues of whether or not a group is worthy.
They let it get hashed out through the voting process and abide by
that. I do not particularly want to waste my time arguing with one
of the users at my site about whether or not we should create
rec.arts.books.ayatollah. If they want it, let them propose it in
news.groups and rec.arts.books, and if there is sufficient interest
and consensus on the name, fine.

True, each site admin has the power to determine which groups are
available at hir site, but how many really care whether or not
rec.arts.books.ayatollah gets created or not? Let the people who
do care about the issue, one way or the other, make the decision.

--
Dave Mack

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (04/02/89)

In article <3199@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

> I like this idea, as it keeps the administrators from feeling
> disenfranchised from the process.

Not that I think the Gang-of-5 idea is any great shakes, but I would like
to ask why I, SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR MAN for frog, am supposed to feel
disenfranchised?  After all, I have an ABSOLUTE veto over newsgroup creation
on frog, and ABSOLUTE authority to create new newsgroups at will, on frog.
Unlike most net.puritans, however, I feel that what OTHER consenting computers
do in the privacy of their own phone connections is their own business.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

			Remainder Khomeini!

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (04/02/89)

In article <3031@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

>Thank you for your kind note.  As I have seen this sentiment expressed by
>one or two others, perhaps more politely, I feel I should explain what is
>an important issue here.
>
>I am tired of a USENET where things are decided by who can shout down the
>other side the loudest.  A USENET where you don't do things for fear that
>the I-should-run-the-net people will insult and flame you.

I appologize for MY rudeness.  But I too am tired!  I'm tired of the
flames and counter-flames, I'm tired of the controversy which surrounds,
seemingly, your every activity.

Please understand, first the J**R controversy, then the compilation
copyright controversy, then the GEnie controversy.... then no sooner than
that final issue began to settle into the dust.... BANG!  here comes more
flames and counter-flames about your proposed idea for the administration
of the news groups.

I just feel that with the way the storm clouds seem to follow you
around that you could just.... cool it for a couple of days.  You know,
to give us a rest.  To let the dust settle.  To let some degree of sanity
to return to this group.

This was the reason for my rather inappropriate "flame", I have nothing
personal against you.  No axe to grind.  I do not agree with your
previous practices... but, I voted... and I will not post to your news
group.  Thats my revenge, be what it may.  I will admit that I do read
your group, and insofar as your ability to come up with some pretty good
"yuks", you do a good job.

>I DO things on USENET, I don't just talk about them.  I believe that the
>things I do make a better net, and I make efforts to find out whether
>the things I do are supported by the wider net.  I believe they are, and
>unlike the rest of you, I have evidence for it.

I DO things on USENET too, like try to communicate rationally with others
with similar interests, maybe increase my professional skills, or learn
something new, or...

Controversy is a double-edged sword Brad, it can create change for the
better, or it can destroy.  I just hope you have the wisdom/maturity to
know what you are promoting.

>I cause controversy for one reason.  I do things and I am unwilling to
>be cowed by flamage.  I am not Rushdie, but I am no more responsible for
>the flamage in this group than Rushdie is responsible for the Ayatollah's
>death threat.

I don't know what to make of that last statement, it could be interpreted
a number of ways.  No you are not responsible for others flames, you ARE
responsible for yours and for any petrol you may choose to add to it.

Your statement "I cause controvery for one reason", would tend to suggest
that you may be a little "bull-headed", as for being "cowed" by the
flamage... well, no one should have to abandon their principles because
of "flames", but it sure helps if you attempt to understand the other
guys position, and if the wind blows hard enough... bend!

>The group creation mess is an important issue to me, and I refuse to not
>put forward my careful proposal just because some people recently decided
>to go after me.   I am going to do all sorts of other new and even more
>controversial things in the near future.

Why is it a mess?  Please don't call it a "mess", it may be a "mess" to
you, but apparently, for better or worse, it has worked.

Your pouring on the petrol here, your last sentence, I want to say nasty
things.. I'm resisting....

The insanity has passed...  I just deleted it........

>Is this the USENET you want?  One where nobody does anything new that might
>cause controversy?   Some anarchy, that.

New things are wonderful, or at least some of them are or could be.  The
USENET I want, is the one where I can read, enjoy, learn etc.  I'm not
interested in rectoric, flames and counter-flames.

Or to quote my father, who was quoting god only knows....  If it ain't
broke..

Well, you know the rest.

Noel

--

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (04/03/89)

In article <4832@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
: 1) Do we need any sort of policy-making body in Usenet, or for that
:    matter, do we need policies? Do we need the guidelines we already
:    have?

Yes. We need the guidelines. Mostly so that responsible net.citizens
have something to judge by. In other words, I, as news admin, *want* a
set of guidelines that I can use to determine when I should pay
attention to a newsgroup/rmgroup. Not because I couldn't use my own
judgement, but, so long as the guidelines are reasonable, I can spend
the time I would have had to in making decisions on better things.
This, of course, applies to more than just newsgroup maintenance.

There are many things on the net which depend on responsible
individuals usually making similar decisions. Guidelines make that
possible, without requiring everyone to become net.gurus or the
existence of net.fascists.

As for policy boards, no, I don't think we need one. I'd much rather
see Usenet compete in its cooperative form against the other, more
controlled, nets. Each has its merits. And besides, it makes a great
experiment.

: 2) Should we shift from a cooperative anarchy to some other form
:    of organization, such as a participatory democracy? If so, how
:    should we enforce the dictates of the majority? Should we have
:    the sort of "ruling council" that Brad has suggested? What happens
:    if the majority decide to ignore them? Does anyone remember the
:    Backbone Cabal?

This is almost impossible. It would be possible for another net to
eventually supplant Usenet, but Usenet itself can't be changed.  Why?
Because it would require the essentially unanimous agreement of the
news administrators. That is so unlikely that I'd expect the sun to go
nova first. I, for one, will refuse to participate in a net which is
an absolute democracy, and you'd have to work very hard to convince
me to participate in a constitutional democracy. And what would
convince me is likely to offend others, etc.

BTW, you have somewhat misrepresented Brad's proposal.  Brad's
"ruling council" is nothing of the sort, was presented as nothing of
the sort, and would be laughed at if it were to try. As Brad said,
such a council could only be advisory.

You know, quite a bit of the controversy surrounding Brad's latest
proposals was generated by such, I hope unintentional, misinformation.

: Let's remember that the net is an anarchy not because everyone agrees
: that that's the best way for it to be, but because there is no way to
: impose any kind of order on it. There are no enforcement mechanisms.

I'd like to slightly disagree with this. Usenet is not an anarchy,
not quite; there are net.behaviors that will get you sh*tcanned by
your friendly neighborhood government. This is not quite a minarchy
either; there are no formal government rules, rather a nebulous
out-there which we have to keep looking over shoulders to avoid
offending. The closest I've seen is called "Propertarian", a kind of
libertarian government.

This form of government shares with anarchy a problem: that it seems
unstable with respect to gangs growing in size and dominating the
individuals.

The net seems to be immune from this problem. Why I'm not sure. It
may be that that is a pseudo-problem; it may also be that some factor
peculiar to the net prevents it. Perhaps it is the fact that
collective aggression *has* to be topography based (I can't agress
against you without the cooperation of intervening sites) and the
distribution of *ssholes and responsible individuals prevents that.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill
(BTW, I'm may be looking for a new job sometime in the next few
months.  If you know of a good one where I can be based in South
Florida do send me e-mail.)

In article <3130@alembic.UUCP>, csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
> In article <3649@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >There is no "Franchise" on the net.

> "disenfranchise[disfranchise], v.t., 1. to deprive of the rights of
> citizenship, as of the right to vote or hold office. 2. to deprive of
> a privilege, right, or power." -- Webster's New World Dictionary, Coll. Ed.

> Now that you know what it means, may we proceed?

1. The net is not a country, and we are not citizens.
2. Group creation is a privilege already restricted to site admins.
   The right to create groups is restricted to major site admins.
   The power to create groups is already restricted to site admins.

What universal franchise do the readers and contributors of the net have
that would be violated by restricting voting privileges to site admins?

The right to flame about it in news.groups? But they'd still have that.
The right to vote? But many readers don't have that anyway. Look at all the
complaints about votes not getting through. At least site admins would have
a better chance of knowing how to get the vote recorded.

I'm not in favor of this proposal, at least not as a replacement for voting,
but I think the emotional stance that there is some inalienable right to
vote for groups is just plain wrong.

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (04/04/89)

In article <3130@alembic.UUCP> csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>Wrong. It deprives the vast majority of the net of their voice in
>the issue of newsgroup creation. What is being proposed here is an

What voice?  What bills do they pay?  How are they responsible when
my spool disk goes blotto at 3am?  How are they helpful when
a site administrator gets flooded with requests to cancel an
obnoxious user's account?

I feel, actually, that the "vast majority of the net" has voice only
if they can talk to their local site admin, or if they are the local
site admin.

Unfounded guess:  A large portion of the regular participants of news.all
are site admins, or are in close contact with a site admin.  Perhaps a poll
is needed?

>It ignores the fact
>that many site admins, particularly at large sites with lots of
>users, administer news in their spare time out of the kindness of
>their black little hearts, and the last thing in the world they
>want (or can afford in terms of time) is to become members of the
>New Improved Distributed Backbone Cabal.

If they aren't participating in group formation/regulation now, they
probably won't when it goes to a mailing list or moderated newsgroup.
If they never participate, what difference does it make whether it's
a newsgroup or a mailing list?

>They let it get hashed out through the voting process and abide by
>that. I do not particularly want to waste my time arguing with one
>of the users at my site about whether or not we should create
>rec.arts.books.ayatollah. If they want it, let them propose it in
>news.groups and rec.arts.books, and if there is sufficient interest
>and consensus on the name, fine.

You don't have to.  Tell them to go bother some other site admin who
has the time.  If they want to propose comp.sys.cbm.geos, they can
go ask one of the comp.sys.cbm heavies to lobby a news admin or site
admin.  If there's a an actual need for the group (as opposed to
a few loudmouths wanting it), it'll probably get created.  What
needed groups *haven't* been created?  We have enough misc groups
to handle any of the irregular traffic that oddball subjects
generate.

>True, each site admin has the power to determine which groups are
>available at hir site, but how many really care whether or not
>rec.arts.books.ayatollah gets created or not? Let the people who
>do care about the issue, one way or the other, make the decision.

Here's the problem:  A lot of people that "care" about whether or not
various newsgroups exist are in no way responsible for the administration
of the net.  They're just J. Random Users at various sites.  All of
their "caring" doesn't do one whit of good when a site is down and
an admin has to get up at 0dark00 to go fix it.  Their "caring" often
becomes mindless name calling in news.all.  I'm trying to find a way
to make things more efficient.  My ideas are not perfect, nor are they
polished and ready to go.  I think they're better than what we're doing
now.

--

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (04/04/89)

In article <3031@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I cause controversy for one reason.  I do things and I am unwilling to
>be cowed by flamage.

If that is what he believes, then why does he subject us all to the expressions
of pain when he gets burnt?

>I am going to do all sorts of other new and even more
>controversial things in the near future.

Brad's common sense is underwhelming!

His assumption that to be worthwhile, an action has to be controversial shows
an..  umm..  interesting philosophy.

My children are often deliberately controversial, at least my younger one is.
The elder one learned some years ago that there are more profitable ways of
getting attention, and certainly easier ways of getting his own way.  Even the
younger one has the sense to play with fire only once or twice a year!

Perhaps we should ask Brad to fill in the gaps for us and expound his
"philosophy of life", so that we can be moderate our toleration of him - one
way or another.

In the meantime, I certainly hope that the next time he deliberately fans the
flames, he licks his wounds in private, but that wouldn't be part of the
philosophy I presume.  The need to complain about the heat of the kitchen seems
part of what makes it worthwhile, I suppose, part of "doing".

This latest posting can be directly compared with his "six-million" joke posted
during the JEDR affair, i.e.  "Hmm.  The controversy seems to have died down,
what can I do to bring it to life again."  It all gets a little tiresome.

I wonder what the plan is exactly, this plan of deliberate controversy.  Could
it be to see how far he can go before alienating even his staunchest
supporters?

You know, of all the crazy postings over the years that have caused screaming
and gnashing of teeth, the MES's, the weemba's, the tcp-ip.eniacs, the cabals,
the gangs, the jj's, the portals, the deliberate obnoxiousness, the threats of
lawsuits and predictions of doom for USENET, only Templeton it seems to me has
actually *caused* newspapers to be involved, the net to be held in public
disrepute, newsgroups to be officially dropped by important sites (if even
temporarily), and *real* threats, coming from without, to be made.

Geesh, and he promises us more!  What fun!  Perhaps Brad's current statement of
policy is the biggest threat we currently face.

Or then again, perhaps this is just a vicious personal attack on someone with a
great sense of humour whose motives couldn't possible be in question (even
now?).

--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ..!uunet!philmtl!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.     | TEL : (514) 744-8200  Ext: 2347

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (04/04/89)

In article <3031@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <288@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>>Brad:
>>	[some unnecessary public flaming deleted]

>Thank you for your kind note.  As I have seen this sentiment expressed by
>one or two others, perhaps more politely, I feel I should explain what is
>an important issue here.
>
>I am tired of a USENET where things are decided by who can shout down the
>other side the loudest.  A USENET where you don't do things for fear that
>the I-should-run-the-net people will insult and flame you.
>
>I DO things on USENET, I don't just talk about them.  I believe that the
>things I do make a better net, and I make efforts to find out whether
>the things I do are supported by the wider net.  I believe they are, and
>unlike the rest of you, I have evidence for it.

You are not the only person who can carry this burden.  In fact,
several of them were trying to resolve this particular question and
probably would have done quite well without your "help".

>The group creation mess is an important issue to me, and I refuse to not
>put forward my careful proposal just because some people recently decided
>to go after me.

As a news administrator or don't see the awful mess that some see.
Some news groups get created and some don't.  The number is not
overwhelming.  The controversy about some of the groups would occur
under any system of group creation.  The willingness of folk to go
along with what happened might be a lot less under systems different
than those currently being used.

>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

The idea that a small transient group making arbitrary decisions would
be preferable to the present rules boggles the mind.  Unless the pool
from which this select group is drawn are of extremely uniform opinion
(on usenet?  Surely you jest!) there will be no consistency in the
decisions.  This will certainly lead to controversy that will make
past events look like tranquility itself.

The present rules are easy to understand and the way that the result
is determined is public and definitive.  Those are essentials for any
decision process for a blob as amorphous as the net.  Endless
explainations from 5 people (or 10 or 20) about why they decide to
create or not create a group is not simple, public, or definitive.
--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@ccnysci                        City College of New York

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (04/05/89)

In article <4833@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:

>News administrators make up less than 10% of the membership of the net.
>(I assume something close to 1 news admin per site. There are around
>11,000 - 12,000 sites. There are, according to the last arbitron stats
>I saw, something like half a million readers.) This scheme may avoid
>disenfranchising the site admins, but it does so at the cost of disen-
>franchising the other 90+% of the population.

What you say is indeed true, however, it is the administrators that
allocate system resources, pay the bills and put up the occassional grief
in order to support usenet and its readers.

This is fact, regardless of the size of the system involved.

Perhaps a two tier approach should be considered, the first tier being
composed of the readers, the second being system administrators who would
then vote collectively upon the recommendations of the readers.

Noel

--

muller@bunter.dg.com (Woody Muller) (04/05/89)

In article <3658@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <3130@alembic.UUCP>, csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>
>> "disenfranchise[disfranchise], v.t., 1. to deprive of the rights of
>> citizenship, as of the right to vote or hold office. 2. to deprive of
>> a privilege, right, or power." -- Webster's New World Dictionary, Coll. Ed.
> [...]
>What universal franchise do the readers and contributors of the net have
>that would be violated by restricting voting privileges to site admins?

How did the word 'universal' creep in here?  The privilege we are talking
about is a net.citizen's power to cast a meaningful vote.  Restricting
voting privileges to site admins would seem to take away that privelege
from the net.citizen.  Hence the word 'disenfranchise,' which is
what will happen to lots of net.citizens if this happens.  Do not expect
us to remain quiet while you attempt to disenfranchise us!

--
                  "Standard disclaimers apply!"
      Woody Muller     919-248-5919(work)     919-544-6783(home)

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/05/89)

In article <813@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <4832@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>: 2) Should we shift from a cooperative anarchy to some other form
>:    of organization, such as a participatory democracy? If so, how
>:    should we enforce the dictates of the majority? Should we have
>:    the sort of "ruling council" that Brad has suggested? What happens
>:    if the majority decide to ignore them? Does anyone remember the
>:    Backbone Cabal?
>
>BTW, you have somewhat misrepresented Brad's proposal.  Brad's
>"ruling council" is nothing of the sort, was presented as nothing of
>the sort, and would be laughed at if it were to try. As Brad said,
>such a council could only be advisory.
>
>You know, quite a bit of the controversy surrounding Brad's latest
>proposals was generated by such, I hope unintentional, misinformation.

Sorry about that, the "Advisory" part keeps slipping away from me for
some reason. My apologies to Brad, no misrepresentation was intended.

It was a pleasant change of pace to read a rational, calm posting in
the wake of the latest Templeton war. Thanks, Bill.

--
Dave Mack

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/05/89)

In article <3658@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <3130@alembic.UUCP>, csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>> In article <3649@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> >There is no "Franchise" on the net.
>
>> "disenfranchise[disfranchise], v.t., 1. to deprive of the rights of
>> citizenship, as of the right to vote or hold office. 2. to deprive of
>> a privilege, right, or power." -- Webster's New World Dictionary, Coll. Ed.
>
>> Now that you know what it means, may we proceed?
>
>1. The net is not a country, and we are not citizens.

The net is a community of interest and we, both admins and users, are
members of that community.

>2. Group creation is a privilege already restricted to site admins.
>   The right to create groups is restricted to major site admins.
>   The power to create groups is already restricted to site admins.

The actual act of sending the control message is restricted. The discussion
here revolves around the decision-making process that leads up to it. And
as the recent comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac newgroup demonstrated, *anybody*
with sufficient knowledge can send out the control message. Allowing only
a major site to send out the control message is a convention dating from
Backbone Cabal days and it's beginning to break down, in case you hadn't
noticed.

>What universal franchise do the readers and contributors of the net have
>that would be violated by restricting voting privileges to site admins?

It forces them to deal with their site admins to get what they want
rather than being able to say so directly. Imagine what kind of a burden
this would represent for the news admins at a university or a large
corporation. Anyone who can post to the net can currently vote for or
against any newsgroup. You are trying to remove this "right" - hence
the term disenfranchise.

>The right to flame about it in news.groups? But they'd still have that.

So what? The discussion period preceding a vote is useful (in theory) as
a means of clarifying the issues. The vote is the decision-making process.

>The right to vote? But many readers don't have that anyway. Look at all the
>complaints about votes not getting through. At least site admins would have
>a better chance of knowing how to get the vote recorded.

Are you serious? We should discontinue the voting procedure because some
of the votes don't make it to the vote-taker? Maybe we should discontinue
elections in the US because some of the voters can't find the correct
polling place.

>I'm not in favor of this proposal, at least not as a replacement for voting,
>but I think the emotional stance that there is some inalienable right to
>vote for groups is just plain wrong.

There is no such thing as an "inalienable right" any more than there is
such a thing as a "self-evident truth". We are trying to decide whether
or not we should change the current procedures on the net. It is my
position that users without root privilege are just as much members of
the net as the site admins and should have an equal voice in what
happens here. What happens at any particular site is the business of
the site admin and hir users, but I strongly oppose formalizing a
semi-feudal procedure where the site admin is the baron and the users
are the serfs.

I also think representative government is obsolete and generally sucks,
but that's another issue.

--
Baron Mack of inco
welcome to SCAnet

In article <462@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <3130@alembic.UUCP> csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>>Wrong. It deprives the vast majority of the net of their voice in
>>the issue of newsgroup creation. What is being proposed here is an
>
>What voice?  What bills do they pay?  How are they responsible when
>my spool disk goes blotto at 3am?  How are they helpful when
>a site administrator gets flooded with requests to cancel an
>obnoxious user's account?

What does this have to do with newsgroup creation? Users shouldn't
be allowed to vote because your spool directory fills up? Be serious.
A fair fraction of the noise on the net is due to people whining about
inappropriate posting/crossposting. Maybe a more lenient newsgroup
creation policy would alleviate that.

A lot of the argument over newsgroup creation seems to be based on the
idea that controlling newsgroup creation reduces the amount of traffic
on the net. I don't believe it. I suspect that if someone has something
to post, they'll post it regardless of whether there's a group specifically
for the topic or not. One way to test this idea would be to declare a
moratorium on newsgroup creation for a year and see if the growth in
volume during that year fits the curve from previous years. My guess is
that it would.

>I feel, actually, that the "vast majority of the net" has voice only
>if they can talk to their local site admin, or if they are the local
>site admin.
>
>Unfounded guess:  A large portion of the regular participants of news.all
>are site admins, or are in close contact with a site admin.  Perhaps a poll
>is needed?

Unfounded guess: most of the people who favor this proposal administer
tiny sites with very few users. Warning to Karl Kleinpaste and Bob
Sutterfield: from now on, you're the point of contact for all the OSU
students who want a newsgroup created or deleted.

Eric, it's pretty obvious that you've never had to be responsive to the
demands of a large group of semi-computer-literate users. Getting away
from that aggravation is as easy as 'u' or 'k' on the net. When they
start pounding on your office door or dialing your phone number, it's
a different story.

The cure you're proposing is worse than the disease.

--
Dave Mack
"Propose it in news.groups. Now leave me the hell alone."

In article <297@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>In article <4833@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>>
>>News administrators make up less than 10% of the membership of the net.
>>(I assume something close to 1 news admin per site. There are around
>>11,000 - 12,000 sites. There are, according to the last arbitron stats
>>I saw, something like half a million readers.) This scheme may avoid
>>disenfranchising the site admins, but it does so at the cost of disen-
>>franchising the other 90+% of the population.
>
>What you say is indeed true, however, it is the administrators that
>allocate system resources, pay the bills and put up the occassional grief
>in order to support usenet and its readers.
>
>This is fact, regardless of the size of the system involved.

True, but changing the voting procedure will not alleviate any of those
burdens and will probably make the problems worse, not better. Right now,
all a news admin really needs to worry about is who approved the newgroup
message. If it was somebody like Gene Spafford or Greg Woods and the path
looks reasonable, it's OK. If they really hate the group, or feel that
they shouldn't carry it for some reason, fine, no one can force them to,
but that's a local decision.

The proposed news-admin-only approach means that news admins have to
deal with a mailing list, which will, I guarantee, be as flame-filled
as news.groups currently is, *and* with the local users who can no longer
take it directly to the net. The first problem can be alleviated by
simply ignoring the mailing list, but the second won't go away.

As far as I can see, this approach will piss off 90+% of the net and
create additional burdens for the news admins. Everybody loses. It
seems like a bad idea.

>Perhaps a two tier approach should be considered, the first tier being
>composed of the readers, the second being system administrators who would
>then vote collectively upon the recommendations of the readers.

The system you're proposing currently exists, except that news admins
don't do it collectively, they do it individually. The interested members
of the net vote, then each admin decides whether or not to honor the
vote. If a sufficient number of news admins decide not to carry the
group, the fragmentation is sufficient to kill the group off except
in small pockets.

--
Dave Mack

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/06/89)

In article <4860@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>A lot of the argument over newsgroup creation seems to be based on the
>idea that controlling newsgroup creation reduces the amount of traffic
>on the net. I don't believe it.

   I don't either. As a major proponent of the "newsgroup creation should
be limited to groups that are really needed" side of the argument, I
can say that the only reason for wanting to limit the number of newsgroups
is NOT because there is a software limit and NOT to reduce the total
traffic on the net, but rather to ensure that what traffic there is
is organized in such a way that readers can easily find the groups they
do want to read and unsubscribe from topics they don't want to read, and
so that posters can easily find the appropriate group to post in. It is
my belief that the more newsgroups there are, the harder it will be to
accomplish this, and that is my SOLE reason for opposing the creation of
groups that have not previously demonstrated a need to exist. I am not
opposed to the creation of NEEDED groups; I am just opposed to the creation
of groups whose sole justification is that a small loud bunch think it would
be a neat topic to discuss on the net. That's what we have *.misc groups for,
and voting procedures for, to determine whether this is true or not.

--Greg

P.S. I will be posting a summary of the comments I have gotten on the proposed
newsgroup creation guidelines very shortly, now that the discussion has died
down somewhat.

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (04/06/89)

In article <3635@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
)Usenet is not a commercial service. It's an epiphenomenon produced by
)a bunch of co-operating commercial services. The users aren't just paying
)peons, they literally own the net. Machine for machine.

	I don't think Princeton considers itself a commercial service...

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
SCA event list? Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) (04/06/89)

First, I am including this article, although many others say similar things
(ie., have a group of people vote for the larger group of people on the net).

In article <297@ubbs-nh.MV.COM>, noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
> In article <4833@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
> >
> >News administrators make up less than 10% of the membership of the net.
> >(I assume something close to 1 news admin per site. There are around
> >11,000 - 12,000 sites. There are, according to the last arbitron stats
> >I saw, something like half a million readers.) This scheme may avoid
> >disenfranchising the site admins, but it does so at the cost of disen-
> >franchising the other 90+% of the population.
>
> What you say is indeed true, however, it is the administrators that
> allocate system resources, pay the bills and put up the occassional grief
> in order to support usenet and its readers.
>
> This is fact, regardless of the size of the system involved.
>
> Perhaps a two tier approach should be considered, the first tier being
> composed of the readers, the second being system administrators who would
> then vote collectively upon the recommendations of the readers.

    One way to work this approach (or Brad's, or any one else's that I have
read so far, other than the original guidelines post) is to do something
that public companies do all the time when it is time to vote on board
members.  Corporations have a small board which is empowered by the stock
holders (at elections) to represent their interests in the large number of
decisions which affect the share holders.  Other major decisions are made by
the share holders, usually in proxy elections.

    Why not do something similar with USENET (no, I am not saying to file
papers and make it a corporation)?  If we have a "board" elected by the
readers (or site admins, or whatever) to manage the day to day administering
(seems like there already is this -- moderators and other key netters),
and site admins hold the proxies for their sites, seems like everyone is
included.  I as site admin am notified by the board, and I in turn notify
my readers through mail.  On votes, I could collect the votes from my
readers, and forward them to the board (or some member of the board for
counting).  On calls for discussions, etc. the same thing would work.
Someone mails a board member requesting a discussion period for such-and-such
new group.  The board member (or a moderator?) could mail the admin's a letter
telling them of the discussion period, and which group the discussion will be
held in, and the admin will again notify his readers.

    Why do it this way?  Most readers probably aren't interested in day to day
net operations, otherwise they would request to be site admins :-).  They would
probably be willing to trust someone they have a relationship with (like the
person who administers their site) to pass all requests which are important to
them on to them.

I as an administrator also have some
idea of who reads news on my site (simple shell script if I cannot already
determine it).  I, as an administrator am responsible to the people on my
machine(s) for the news feed working on the machine I am administering, plus
making sure maps, etc are updated.  As an admin, I am willing to trust a body
of people (10-15 seems about right, herein called the BOARD) to make the
majority of the net-wide decisions for me (they do now, anyway).  I have
a sense that most people wouldn't vote, but this gives them the opportunity
and they cannot complain later that they weren't included when the group
passes/fails.

Again, if someone (any news reader) wants to
be in on the discussion, they could (and they would know about it)

This method allows the largest number of people to have access to discussion
and voting than any of the others seen so far, cause they don't have to
regularly subscribe to a particular newsgroup for finding out what discussions
are pending or what votes are in progress.  Readers only need to include
themselves if they are interested.

This does not address the other matter being discussed about weighting the
vote towards those who pay the bills should have the vote, cause I think that
is stupid, for one reason:  namely, the admin people aren't necessarily the
ones who pay the bills, get the phone lines, etc.  The bigger the company,
(or organization) the more likely it's going to be someone in middle to
upper management, or someone not even in an MIS or engineering type of
role (the person here accountable for the funding on our machine, buying our
TB+, getting a new disk, etc, has only logged onto the machine once and has
never read news, and we are small, think of DEC, IBM, SUN, etc.)  Also,
if the site is a corporate site and the company is publicly held, the
stock holders have some say on how the money is spent (should we mail all
stock holders of all public corporations on the net for group creation/removal
since they are the ones who pay the bills?).  Or what about the people who
buy the products that are manufactured by people on the net, should we ask them
to vote?  Or, if it is a public university, should the tax payers or other
students be asked (after all, your new disk or new modem might cause tuition
to go up or more tax dollars to be diverted to the university)?  In all of
these cases, I say no.  As you can see, I don't think the people paying the
bills should necessarily have any say about the net, since they are (largely)
ignorant of it (as people who pay the bills; the same person could also be
a reader or an admin).

Although I am an American, most other countries on the net are democracies
to some extent (Great Britain, Canada, West Germany, the Netherlands,
Australia, etc.), I say to be as democratic as possible (and put in some
structure to support the democracy) rather than take away the 1 person 1 vote
rule.

We could keep the current newsgroup creation procedure, of some percentage
of yes votes vs. total votes required for creation, if we could guarantee
that ALL those interested in the discussion/vote are included.  What I
suggest does this.  Again, removal could require some (large) percentage
vs. total votes required for deletion.  If we wanted to also base creation
out of the total number of votes available, we could do this because the
site admins could give the number of readers on their system.  I have no
idea what the numbers should be for the yes/no, and percentages.

Finally, if a site does not want a group that others want, they can request
the admin to not carry it.  If they want a group that others outside the
site don't want (or if a few sites want it, and no others do), they could
create either a local group or set up a feed with the other site and
set up a local group between them.
Dave Gotwisner					UUCP:  ...!unisoft!peritek!dig
Peritek Corporation				       ...!vsi1!peritek!dig
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA 94619				Phone: 1-415-531-6500

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/06/89)

One of the major good points of the UNLAB proposal that has not
gotten much attention was one of the first sentences in the proposal.

This was:

	If UNLAB is unanimous (or say, 80%) in favour of the group at first
	examination, it gets created.  End of story.

To my mind, no matter what happens on the groups that don't have an 80%
approval, we get a complete elmination of mess and needless debate and
voting on a large number of groups.

One can't say for sure, but I would venture at least 50% of reasonable
group proposals would make it that way.

Whether UNLAB is 5 or 11 or 21 (about the maximum workable if you ask me)
that's got to be worth something.

Remember, since UNLAB would have the ability to suggest rmgroup of a
newly created group, mistakes could be easily corrected.  If sci.physics.fusion
died down in 3 months, it could easily be eliminated.

-----------

Note that while a policy for rmgroup is not strictly needed, create/rmgroup
is currently the only means available for renaming groups.  If you can't
rmgroup, then you can't rename or correct naming mistakes.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (04/06/89)

In article <4860@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>In article <462@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>What does this have to do with newsgroup creation? Users shouldn't
>be allowed to vote because your spool directory fills up? Be serious.

No, that's not exactly it.  Stop picking nits.  My original asserition
was (and is) that the *final* responsiblity for creation/selection
of groups/policies/whatever should be left up to the people that actually
pay for (or answer to the people that pay for) all this stuff we call
Usenet.

Many people complained about the S/N ratio of news.groups.  I suggested
that we just pull the "unwashed masses" :-) out of the loop.  I'd be
just as happy with both news.groups and a moderated admin only group
where the actual details were hammered out.  news.groups could be
the playground for comp.soft-sys.andrew and all the other goofy ideas
that come along every other week.  news.groups.d (for example) would
be a forum for the final discussion and vote amongst admins that all
users would be able to read.  (I'm responsible for some alt.havoc
myself, so I can't really call anyone else a name. :-)

>Unfounded guess: most of the people who favor this proposal administer
>tiny sites with very few users. Warning to Karl Kleinpaste and Bob
>Sutterfield: from now on, you're the point of contact for all the OSU
>students who want a newsgroup created or deleted.

How many new newsgroups are suggested in a year, and from how many sites?
Not that many, IMHO.

>Eric, it's pretty obvious that you've never had to be responsive to the
>demands of a large group of semi-computer-literate users.

No, I've had to be responsive to large groups of computer literate or
computer illiterate, but never semi-literate. :-).  Seriously, though,
I've only admin'd over seasoned developers and braindead salesmen.
I've never had to deal with university vax potatoes.

I'm really not out to change the system.  Brad T. saw a problem and
suggested a solution.  I didn't like the solution, so I proposed a
different one to solve his problem.  I'm not really that bothered
by the news.groups hassle, I live in alt.land and unix-pc.all for the
most part.

--
J. Eric Townsend | "Type 'make'.  If you get errors, stop and fix them."
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict |  -- Eric S. Raymond, in TMNN documentation.

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (04/06/89)

In article <4859@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:

> There is no such thing as an "inalienable right" any more than there is
> such a thing as a "self-evident truth".

Remind me never to vote for Dave for public office!  Life might get really
scary.

But I agree with his criticisms of the various proposals for
oligarchy.  And, while I would like to see group creation be
easier, I also believe that it is those who wish to make it
harder who carry the burden of proof.  What harms are being
done by not making it more difficult -- harms, that is, that
any given admin cannot rectify for her/his site by declining
to carry a given group?

Para un Tejas Libre,

Jeff Daiell

--
  If a hungry man has water, and a thirsty man has bread,
  Then if they trade, be not dismayed, they both come out ahead.

                                   -- Don Paarlberg

In article <4909@xyzzy.UUCP>, muller@bunter.dg.com (Woody Muller) writes:
> How did the word 'universal' creep in here?

It bribed the doorkeeper?

> The privilege we are talking
> about is a net.citizen's power to cast a meaningful vote.

Well, I suppose I could say something sarcastic about how meaningful your
vote on the net is today. The vote is just an opinion poll. The only
meaningful part is whether that poll convinces the system admins to go
ahead and create the group.

> Hence the word 'disenfranchise,' which is
> what will happen to lots of net.citizens if this happens.

Speaking of which, what's a net.citizen? I'm an Australian citizen myself.

> Do not expect
> us to remain quiet while you attempt to disenfranchise us!

I'm not attempting to do any such thing. Personally, I don't see any reason
to change the rules. I don't see any reason not to have an 'admin' mailing
list, either.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

tneff@well.UUCP (Tom Neff) (04/07/89)

There seems to be an unquestioned assumption here that sysadmins are
the ones who foot the bill for Usenet.  Is this really the case?  I can
think of one class of site where this is so - the "basement 386" where
someone posts from home.  Almost no one else would seem to qualify.  At
a big university site, the alumni, tuition payers and grant sources
(including Uncle Sugar) are footing the bill.  At a corporate site, the
revenues of the firm are used.  Public access sites use the users'
(i.e., newsreaders') fees.  In all these cases, the sysadmin is
effectively the *employee* of those who actually foot the bill, and who
[putatively] derive the ultimate benefit from net participation.

No question, though, that sysadmins at all these kinds of sites are the
ones who do the hard work, even if the money does tend to be someone
else's.  I am not convinced this ought to mean they determine what the
net does and does not carry, but I can sympathize with the desire.
--
Tom Neff                  tneff@well.UUCP
                       or tneff@dasys1.UUCP

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/07/89)

In article <473@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Many people complained about the S/N ratio of news.groups.  I suggested
>that we just pull the "unwashed masses" :-) out of the loop.  I'd be
>just as happy with both news.groups and a moderated admin only group
>where the actual details were hammered out.  news.groups could be
>the playground for comp.soft-sys.andrew and all the other goofy ideas
>that come along every other week.  news.groups.d (for example) would
>be a forum for the final discussion and vote amongst admins that all
>users would be able to read.  (I'm responsible for some alt.havoc
>myself, so I can't really call anyone else a name. :-)

I personally favor a "tmp" hierarchy. If you want a group created, say
comp.soft-sys.andrew, get your nearest friendly admin to create a
group called "tmp.comp.soft-sys.andrew". If, after a few months,
the group has a reasonable amount of traffic, conduct a vote on whether to
move it into the comp hierarchy as comp.soft-sys.andrew, rename it,
leave it in tmp or trash it entirely. People who don't want to participate
in the experiment can ax the entire tmp hierarchy.

This approach takes care of the "demonstrated interest" clause, allows
things to happen quickly, and doesn't require a select group, whatever
the size, to advise or decide.

If you want "policy", say that no group can exist as a tmp group for more
than six months. After six months, it either becomes part of the standard
hierarchy or gets rmgrouped.

(Much as I'd like to take credit for this idea, I can't. Someone else,
I can't remember who, proposed it in one of the previous newsgroup
creation flame wars.)

In principle, the alt hierarchy could be used for this, but I think
that's a bad idea. The alt hierarchy has established itself as the
arena for the more unacceptable forms of insanity, and I doubt that
a lot of the more conservative sites would take it. Let's call it tmp.

Any takers?

--
Dave Mack

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (04/07/89)

In article <4870@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:

> I personally favor a "tmp" hierarchy. If you want a group created, say
> comp.soft-sys.andrew, get your nearest friendly admin to create a
> group called "tmp.comp.soft-sys.andrew". If, after a few months,
> the group has a reasonable amount of traffic, conduct a vote on whether to
> move it into the comp hierarchy as comp.soft-sys.andrew, rename it,
> leave it in tmp or trash it entirely. People who don't want to participate
> in the experiment can ax the entire tmp hierarchy.

A very good idea.  As it is now votes are silly.  People are voting for
or against what they *think* the new group will be like.  They don't know
and probably aren't even close in what they imagine.

If a whole tmp.* hierarchy is too much, how about one group: news.tryout?

jdb@dkstar.UUCP (Jon Bennett ) (04/07/89)

In article <429@philmtl.philips.ca>, ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) writes:
> In article <3031@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> >I cause controversy for one reason.  I do things and I am unwilling to
> >be cowed by flamage.

	Brad; If I put you in my kill file twice, will you post
	half as often?

> Perhaps we should ask Brad to fill in the gaps for us and expound his
> "philosophy of life", so that we can be moderate our toleration of him - one
> way or another.

	Now there is an idea, but the kill file will get him first.
	-Oh well.
> Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ..!uunet!philmtl!ray

	No, but really.  This is a bout the new group problem.  If us
	admins would put Brad in out kill file, a LOT of the problem
	would go away.

	I was wondering if a new "control" message should be created
	to command a net-wide "kill" file command.  With this command
	news-admins could command EVERYONES news reader/poster to
	eat all of a "certain" persons postings..... hmmmm.

	As far as the new group problem goes:

	The people who own the computers that carry the news
	CONTROL this net. <- note period

	If a new news group is created on my machine through the use
	of the control message, and I dont like the group.  I will not
	carry it or forward it. <- note period

	I believe this is true of all backbones.  As far as stepping
	on the "users" of the net.  When they donate CPU's to the net
	and become "backbones" (whatever that means) then they will
	have control of the net.

	Reading and having access to net news is a PRIVLAGE (sp?)
	not a constutional right.  The people that provide the bucks
	and the computers, and the time to manage the net
	can control it, should control it, and DO control it.

	The anarchy of the net makes it what it is.  When it ceaces to
	be an anarchy, comp*serv will annex it, and I will start a
	new "alt" net. It will be an anarchy too.  In the true spirit
	of usenet.........

	FLAME BY E-MAIL Please!!!!!!

--
No disclamer here.		Jon "There, that oughta do it" Bennett
This is my computer.		jdb@dkstar.UUCP

In article <1361@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:

>In article <4870@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>
>> I personally favor a "tmp" hierarchy. If you want a group created, say
>> comp.soft-sys.andrew, get your nearest friendly admin to create a
>> group called "tmp.comp.soft-sys.andrew". If, after a few months,
>> the group has a reasonable amount of traffic, conduct a vote on whether to
>> move it into the comp hierarchy as comp.soft-sys.andrew, rename it,
>> leave it in tmp or trash it entirely. People who don't want to participate
>> in the experiment can ax the entire tmp hierarchy.
>
>A very good idea.  As it is now votes are silly.  People are voting for
>or against what they *think* the new group will be like.  They don't know
>and probably aren't even close in what they imagine.
>
>If a whole tmp.* hierarchy is too much, how about one group: news.tryout?

If you're going to do that, you may as well use *.misc. The point of
having a separate hierarchy is to allow a group to be created outside
the standard hierarchies so its utilization can be monitored. If you
used news.tryout, you could only have one experimental group running
at a time or all the postings from the experimental groups would be
jammed together. Also, people wouldn't have any way of knowing what
the group was about without reading the postings.

A separate hierarchy with discrete newsgroups in it really is necessary for
this to work.

--
Dave Mack

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (04/07/89)

In article <4862@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>In article <297@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>>
>>What you say is indeed true, however, it is the administrators that
>>allocate system resources, pay the bills and put up the occassional grief
>>in order to support usenet and its readers.
>>
>>This is fact, regardless of the size of the system involved.
>
>True, but changing the voting procedure will not alleviate any of those
>burdens and will probably make the problems worse, not better. Right now,
>all a news admin really needs to worry about is who approved the newgroup
>message. If it was somebody like Gene Spafford or Greg Woods and the path
>looks reasonable, it's OK. If they really hate the group, or feel that
>they shouldn't carry it for some reason, fine, no one can force them to,
>but that's a local decision.

The point I am trying to make is... If their is to be a change in the
manner in which groups are created/deleted, then I as a site
administrator want to be involved.

>The proposed news-admin-only approach means that news admins have to
>deal with a mailing list, which will, I guarantee, be as flame-filled
>as news.groups currently is, *and* with the local users who can no longer
>take it directly to the net. The first problem can be alleviated by
>simply ignoring the mailing list, but the second won't go away.

See my posting in reply to Brad's current article.  In summary, their is
no need for the site administrators who want to be involved in the
process to discuss anything.  Let the users vote.. Let the site
administrators decide.  Yeah/Ney is the only thing required.

>As far as I can see, this approach will piss off 90+% of the net and
>create additional burdens for the news admins. Everybody loses. It
>seems like a bad idea.

It may be a bad idea, it may piss off 90+% of the net.  But if it is
going to be changed.... I damned sure don't want 5 guys deciding the
future of usenet.

>>Perhaps a two tier approach should be considered, the first tier being
>>composed of the readers, the second being system administrators who would
>>then vote collectively upon the recommendations of the readers.
>
>The system you're proposing currently exists, except that news admins
>don't do it collectively, they do it individually. The interested members
>of the net vote, then each admin decides whether or not to honor the
>vote. If a sufficient number of news admins decide not to carry the
>group, the fragmentation is sufficient to kill the group off except
>in small pockets.

Yes, and the site admins can still do that, but a two tier vote does two
things.  It allows the individual the opportunity to have his/her voice
heard.  It allows the site administrators who decide to be involved in
the process the right to act collectively to validate the decision.

I'll say it one more time..

If this proposal were to pass, do you want 5 or 25 people to decide the
future of usenet?

Would you rather have the ability to vote as a user, and have a larger
number of site administrators pass final judgement and give it their
"blessing"?

If you stop to think about it.. my proposal is very much like most
governments.

No, if its gotta change let it be two tier, and without restrictions as
to the number of site administrators involved.

Noel
--

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (04/08/89)

In article <4870@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>I personally favor a "tmp" hierarchy. If you want a group created, say
>comp.soft-sys.andrew, get your nearest friendly admin to create a
>group called "tmp.comp.soft-sys.andrew". If, after a few months,
>the group has a reasonable amount of traffic, conduct a vote on whether to
>move it into the comp hierarchy as comp.soft-sys.andrew, rename it,
>leave it in tmp or trash it entirely. People who don't want to participate
>in the experiment can ax the entire tmp hierarchy.

Yeah, I remember this idea being tossed around.  I liked it then, and
I like it now.  I'm simply tired of long-winded creation battles
based on quoting guidelines as rules for groups that really have a
limited intrest.  You want soc.culture.arabic.quoran.athiests.punishment?
Fine.  Make it work under tmp.whatever.  Just don't waste my time
having arguments about how/how not to create the group, why it's needed,
and how the "other side" keeps breaking the "rules".

--
J. Eric Townsend | "Enter, oh seeker of knowledge... That's *YOU*, fathead!"
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict

In article <11250@well.UUCP> tneff@well.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>There seems to be an unquestioned assumption here that sysadmins are
>the ones who foot the bill for Usenet.  Is this really the case?  I can
>think of one class of site where this is so - the "basement 386" where
>someone posts from home.  Almost no one else would seem to qualify.  At
>a big university site, the alumni, tuition payers and grant sources
>(including Uncle Sugar) are footing the bill.  At a corporate site, the
>revenues of the firm are used.  Public access sites use the users'
>(i.e., newsreaders') fees.  In all these cases, the sysadmin is
>effectively the *employee* of those who actually foot the bill, and who
>[putatively] derive the ultimate benefit from net participation.

Following your train of thought, the $5.67 in my pocket isn't really my
money, but it's money given to me by my employer, and I'm not really
responsible for how it's spent -- I have to think about the people that
gave it to me and realise that my $5.67 doesn't mean I'm anything
special.  Once University of Bucketheads gets M. Alumni's money, it's
theirs.  Unless they made a prior agreement to spend it on a specific
item, they can bloody well buy nerf footballs for undergraduate
Russian Studies students if they want.

I think you're being purposely silly to prove a point.  When I worked
as a sysadmin at my last job, they didn't really care about usenet.
If our phone bills had gone way up, or lots of processor time was
tied up by uucp/usenet, they'd have come to me to see what was going
on.  They wouldn't say "Hey, you're spending a lot of the investor's
money on this stuff", they'd say "Hey you moron, stop wasting money
on that usenet garbage."

Some of the money, once in the hands of a business, university or whatever,
will be spent on data communications.  If the site/communications admin
doesn't toe the [whatever] line, they'll be fired.  They are in a
position of responsibility in regards to how they spend the [organization]'s
money.

This is really unrelated to news.admin at this point, I believe. :-)

--

csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/09/89)

In article <2765@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <4860@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>>A lot of the argument over newsgroup creation seems to be based on the
>>idea that controlling newsgroup creation reduces the amount of traffic
>>on the net. I don't believe it.
>
>   I don't either. As a major proponent of the "newsgroup creation should
>be limited to groups that are really needed" side of the argument,

Do you feel that this attitude might make you a less-than-ideal
candidate as Gene Spafford's replacement as keeper of the List?

Are you willing to honor the outcome of the votes (or whatever),
even if you personally feel that a group is unnecessary or poorly
named?

--
Dave Mack

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/10/89)

In article <3147@alembic.UUCP> csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>Are you willing to honor the outcome of the votes (or whatever),
>even if you personally feel that a group is unnecessary or poorly
>named?

  Who is to stop someone else from sending out a newgroup? The only
thing I would have the power to do is to refuse to carry a group on
my site, and I would have that power whether or not I become the
administrator of the group creation guidelines.
  I do NOT plan to make actual group creation decisions (except for
my own site), even if I could. That is for the administrators of individual
sites to do. The vote procedure is merely a GUIDELINE (there's that word
again) to assist them in making that decision.

--Greg

pleasant@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) (04/10/89)

I would gather that we should look at Greg's record to determine if he is
less-than-[the]-ideal candidate to act as Gene's replacement as keeper of
the List?  Unless I'm mistaken, Greg has always gone with the final outcome
even if he disagrees with it.  I think that says it all, no?
--

                                  Mel Pleasant
 {backbone}!rutgers!pleasant   pleasant@rutgers.edu     mpleasant@zodiac.bitnet

In article <Apr.9.18.59.29.1989.3661@porthos.rutgers.edu>, pleasant@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) writes:
> I would gather that we should look at Greg's record to determine if he is
> less-than-[the]-ideal candidate to act as Gene's replacement as keeper of
> the List?

Wait a second. Who said he's replacing Gene? I thought he was just gonna be
the keeper of the rules.

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/10/89)

In article <2958@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <3147@alembic.UUCP> csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>>Are you willing to honor the outcome of the votes (or whatever),
>>even if you personally feel that a group is unnecessary or poorly
>>named?
>
>  Who is to stop someone else from sending out a newgroup? The only
>thing I would have the power to do is to refuse to carry a group on
>my site, and I would have that power whether or not I become the
>administrator of the group creation guidelines.
>  I do NOT plan to make actual group creation decisions (except for
>my own site), even if I could. That is for the administrators of individual
>sites to do. The vote procedure is merely a GUIDELINE (there's that word
>again) to assist them in making that decision.

Perhaps my question wasn't sufficiently clearly stated. You have proposed
yourself as the new keeper of the newsgroup list - the list that most
admins use (in conjunction with the checkgroups messages, of which, I
assume, you will also be the keeper) to determine which newsgroups are
legitimate, still alive, moderated, etc.

My question is: will you honor legitimately conducted votes (according
to whatever set of guidelines exists at the time) by updating the list
and the corresponding checkgroups message to reflect the results of
the vote, regardless of your personal opinions about the affected
newsgroup?

--
Dave Mack

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/11/89)

In article <4907@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>Perhaps my question wasn't sufficiently clearly stated. You have proposed
>yourself as the new keeper of the newsgroup list - the list that most
>admins use (in conjunction with the checkgroups messages, of which, I
>assume, you will also be the keeper) to determine which newsgroups are
>legitimate, still alive, moderated, etc.

   Perhaps it was my original proposal that was not clearly stated. The ONLY
duty which I will take over is maintaining the GUIDELINES. The official list
of groups will still be maintained and periodically posted by Gene Spafford.
In fact, assuming Gene is willing to live with the guidelines I come up with
(I know he's on vacation right now which is why we haven't heard much from him
in this discussion) it is probably better for the net that the guidelines and
the list would NOT be maintained by the same person.

--Greg

csu@alembic.UUCP (Dave Mack) (04/12/89)

In article <2967@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <4907@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>>Perhaps my question wasn't sufficiently clearly stated. You have proposed
>>yourself as the new keeper of the newsgroup list - the list that most
>>admins use (in conjunction with the checkgroups messages, of which, I
>>assume, you will also be the keeper) to determine which newsgroups are
>>legitimate, still alive, moderated, etc.
>
>   Perhaps it was my original proposal that was not clearly stated. The ONLY
>duty which I will take over is maintaining the GUIDELINES. The official list
>of groups will still be maintained and periodically posted by Gene Spafford.
>In fact, assuming Gene is willing to live with the guidelines I come up with
>(I know he's on vacation right now which is why we haven't heard much from him
>in this discussion) it is probably better for the net that the guidelines and
>the list would NOT be maintained by the same person.

I misunderstood your proposal. My apologies.

--
Dave Mack