[news.admin] Problem with some newsgroups - Why?

kdoshi@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov (04/12/89)

About every month or so, I get the following message from news with Subject
line as follows:

---------------
Subject: Problems with your active file

# The following newsgroups are non-standard.
#	comp.ai.edu
#	comp.ai.vision
#	comp.dcom.lans.hyperchannel
#	comp.dcom.lans.v2lni
#	comp.editors
#	comp.edu.composition
#	comp.lang.asm370
#	comp.lang.clu
#	comp.lang.forth.mac
#	comp.lang.icon
#	comp.lang.idl
#	comp.lang.lisp.franz
#	comp.lang.lisp.x
#	comp.lang.rexx
#	comp.lang.scheme.c
#	comp.lang.visual
#	comp.lsi.cad
#	comp.mail.multi-media
#	comp.music
#	comp.os.aos
#	comp.os.cpm.amethyst
#	comp.os.rsts
#	comp.os.v
#	comp.periphs.printers
#	comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ
#	comp.protocols.iso.x400
#	comp.protocols.iso.x400.gateway
#	comp.protocols.pcnet
#	comp.protocols.pup
#	comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
#	comp.sys.cdc
#	comp.sys.handhelds
#	comp.sys.intel.ipsc310
#	comp.sys.northstar
#	comp.sys.super
#	comp.sys.ti.explorer
#	comp.sys.zenith
#	comp.terminals.bitgraph
#	comp.terminals.tty5620
#	comp.theory
#	comp.theory.cell-automata
#	comp.theory.dynamic-sys
#	comp.theory.self-org-sys
#	comp.unix.cray
#	news.software.nntp
#	rec.games.vectrex
#	rec.mag.fsfnet
#	sci.bio.technology
#	sci.math.num-analysis
#	sci.philosophy.meta
#	soc.culture.esperanto

# You can remove them by executing the commands:
	/news/lib/rmgroup comp.ai.edu comp.ai.vision ............ [etc.]

-------------

Can anyone tell me why it does this? This are active newsgroups.
What makes it think these are non-standard? How can I stop
it from doing this? I believe all of the above are alternate newsgroups
on the "inet/ddn" distribution.

We are running B News 2.11 patchlevel #14 and NNTP Version 1.5 on
SunOS 4.0.1.

Thanks for any info.

-Kunjal Doshi
 kdoshi@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (04/13/89)

In article <256@forsight.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kdoshi@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

>About every month or so, I get the following message from news with Subject
>line as follows:
>
>---------------
>Subject: Problems with your active file

Someone in your local organization or distribution is posting checkgroups
control messages.  The message being posted is the "standard" one and
you are evidently receiving the "inet" groups as well.  Subscribe to the
"control" newsgroup on your system.  Look for the person who sent the
checkgroups message, track them down and, um, go easy on them.  Liberal
that I am, I prefer rehabilitation to locking 'em up and throwing away
the key.  :-)

Gene Spafford's checkgroups messages are posted in a form that requires
news admins to run them manually with a local distribution.  Someone is
running them with a wider distribution.
--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck